Ravenol 5w-40 in '07 BMW 525d 3.0d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings from Russia !

Here is the report on my remapped '07 BMW 525d from one German lab. I put the results in Blackstone-like table hand made.

Driving is 60% city, 40% highway (two day trip).A lot of stop and go, idling. Oil was not changed.

s-378.jpg

There were some Silicon (5) and Potassium (2) in VOA. Some more characteristics from Ravenol website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: balalayka

Here is the report on my remapped '07 BMW 525d from one German lab.

Which lab is that ? Are the prices competitive to Blackstone ?

Looks OK apart from the 2.82% fuel, as anything over 2% is not good for most car engines. If you spend a lot of time in traffic at low power it does tend to cause fuel contamination of the oil, or this might be from a worn fuel injection system.
When you take a sample make sure you drive for a least 30 minutes otherwise that can also cause an increase in the fuel reading.
The Iron figure is a tad high for the miles, but you would have to compare it with average UOA results from other engines of the same type as some engines shed more Fe than others. The example you listed is not a good one as the engine concerned seems to be in poor condition.
Extending the OCI with the fuel contamination figure you have might not be such a good idea, although you can leave the oil filter in place for the full manufacturers recommended interval as it won't block the filter.

Last edited:
skyship, thanks for replying

Originally Posted By: skyship
If you spend a lot of time in traffic at low power it does tend to cause fuel contamination of the oil

I think, this is the issue, because my everyday morning trip lasts for 20min and 3-4 miles, but the engine's temperature becomes 170-180F by the end of the trip only. There might be some long trips at the evening and holidays.

Average fuel consumption was at 21 mpg during workweek and 40 mpg - holidays

When you take a sample make sure you drive for a least 30 minutes otherwise that can also cause an increase in the fuel reading.

I took the sample after some city driving, but the temperature of the coolant was about 188-190F for 10-15 min

The Iron figure is a tad high for the miles, but you would have to compare it with average UOA results from other engines of the same type as some engines shed more Fe than others. The example you listed is not a good one as the engine concerned seems to be in poor condition.

I've found common Fe average for pkw and it's about 100 mg/kg. But it would be great to find figures for my engine

Extending the OCI with the fuel contamination figure you have might not be such a good idea, although you can leave the oil filter in place for the full manufacturers recommended interval as it won't block the filter.

The standart OCI I use is about 6000-7000 miles. But this time it was aprox. 8000 miles. This 8km sample was sent to lab 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Here is a new UOA from my BMW 525d 3.0d on the same Ravenol VMO. The next 5km from the first UOA were 50% hard city and 50% highway driving. Oil was changed.

s-376.jpg

Iron increased not so much, as it was at first 3km. Fuel stands at the same level.

Sulfur fall to 1768 (2952 VOA). I wonder, what does it show ? Drawdown of base oil or additives ?

Last edited:
Good report, although the fuel contamination should not be there if you do 50% highway. If it was my car I would be tempted to run a direct feed (Into the fuel filter or fuel line) injector cleaner to see if it helps. Don't use anything you throw in the tank as they don't work and can cause fuel filter trouble.
50/50 chance it's a gummed injector or two, but if the tips are worn the cleaner will make no difference.
Injectors last as long as the car if good quality fuel filters are used, but poor fuel quality or a long period of non use can cause trouble.
The fuel contamination is stopping you using a longer OCI to some extent, so it would be good to try and reduce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back