what is the best v6 ever made?

No love for the Ford/Yamaha SHO V6? Ford has some interesting V6 engines both from the SHO and the Duratech lines.

I have owned two 4.3 and 3 3800's all have been bullet proof. All but the current Buick have live well past 300,000 miles.
The Buick is head there, but only has 100,000 on it right now.

How about Honda's J30 3.0L V6 from 2003 - 2007? Just put the 2nd timing belt on it at 214K and still pulling consistent 28-29 mpg...she works out of town and it sees ALOT of highway time. Sure has treated us right, I give it love and keep clean oil, air filter and just good preventive maintenance. It did eat an automatic trans at 188K though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
i am surprised to see so much love for GM with all there heads/intake issues.

Not all of them had intake issues. You have to look at how long they were made. You are talking 96 to 03 ish and not all of those needed the fix. Once fixed properly that is really all you have to do them.
I have not heard of many heads coming off the 4.3 or 3800/3.8.
Maintance is easy, no timing belt and parts are cheap.

Certainly the Nissan VQ wins all the awards but I have a soft spot for the VG30 and 33 which was used for 2+ decades in Zs, Pathfinders, Xterras, and such. A 60-degree iron block with main bearing caps in a frame, aluminum heads with a single overhead cam and hydraulic lifters. Yes, it had a cam belt, a few issues with exhaust studs breaking and was a bit thirsty but was reliable, smooth and easy to maintain.

V6s really are a compromise as regards dynamic balance. It's only advances in engine mount technology and a desire for compact packaging that made them practical.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
GM's {...} 4.3 just seem to clank along forever.
The 4.3 must have the award for the longest production run...

+1

+2

my vote will go to either

VQ30DE
1MZ-FE
3800 GM

in that order. The nissan and toyota made it on a lot of list of engine awards, not sure on the GM maybe they did as well but i never cared for it, i just know they are as relible and been used around the same time. Those 3 motors showed up somewhere in 95 and died off around 02-03 but most are just upgraded motored but not good as the orginal.

Honda J35

Pulls hard all day, redline shifts, 2nd gear chirp with 223k miles. Zero issues.

Overshadowed by the garbage auto trannys they are bolted to.

No soul like the old stuff but takes a lifetime of flogging and begs for more.

Chevrolet 2.8L V-6, 1979-1989.

They had an awesome growl too them, and were great in the smaller J-bodies. They were also pretty reliable, seen lots of them go 200k+ miles.

Back