what is the best v6 ever made?

i am wondering what the best v6 ever made was. best meaning reliability and longevity and ease of maintenance. it seems like there is a lot of thought about the 4 bangers and v8 but v6 seem to be a middle child. whats your opinions and preferably some info / facts on why you picked what you did. i would like to weigh in on this but as of now i cannot pick one..... i honestly don't know enough about the broad class of v6's to have an opinion. hope this turns into a good educational thread.
smile.gif

3.0 toyota. I have had 3 of them . Not a problem ever. Dealer said that they last 250000 with little maintenance. I changed oil and plugs . that was it. sold it with 133000. I'm sure its still going.

From an Oz perspective, the Buick 3.8 seems about as reliable as a hammer, and gets my vote.

There are some very pretty elegant V-6s, like the Ferrarri engine in the Lancia Stratos that might suit a different definition of "best"

Only V6's or are i6's included too? If I6's, the Ford 300 for sure. If V6's, I'm not sure, there are many really good ones out there that aren't plagued with intake gasket issues like many of the GM ones that, albeit being generally long-lived engines, were saddled with this particular "issue".

I'm a Ford guy, but I'd have to say the GM 3800. Of course, if we're allowing I-6s, it's the Ford 300.

Another one of my favorite engines is the Yamaha 3.0/3.2 V-6 that Ford put in the Taurus SHO.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
GM's 3.8 and 4.3 just seem to clank along forever.

The 4.3 must have the award for the longest production run...

+1

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Gas...305 cu in GMC V6 in about a 63 GMC pickup. These were an industrial engine and were getting 400K+ back in the 60's on SAE30.

Diesel...6v71.

My vote also. Great engine...

Ford Vulcan 3.0
Also the Duratec 3.0 is quite reliable

The GM 4.3 while a dog in about every aspect is tough as nails
Same with the 3.8

1st for me would be the 4.3 Chevy. I have had and seen many go way over 300K miles with minimal maintenance. The 3800 is a very good engine too.

Back