HEPA air filter for cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people just make their own -- go to Home Depot and buy a True HEPA filter, cut to fit, and slide it into the old housing. I did it on my S2000 pretty easily.

I have made my own cabin filters for years now for my 2008 xB... I make a good 4-6 filters out of one AC filter sheet. Pay around $20-25 for the big sheet and make each for a few bucks per. Dealer charges near $20 for them, big savings and can replace them more often (2x a year or so).

Are you asking about engine air filtration or cabin air filtration?

Engine air filtration, I would assume there are not any, as such would cause a lot of air flow restriction. I would also recommend against making your own as the most critical part of a new air filter is the outer seal, as in the absence of a good seal, a significant amount of air will flow around the filter rather than through it (following the path of least resistance), allowing the resulting unfiltered particles free reign in your intake system.

As for cabin filtration, the question becomes, "Why?!?". Any benefits gained through such high levels of filtration will be lost as soon as you open the car door to exit or roll down your window at a fast food restaurant. And it would become so quickly clogged at the microscopic level that you would have to replace it very often.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
Does such a thing exist?

What is the end goal? Keep in mind that actual/true HEPA filtration in a car would be a losing battle since the panels and construction are not as air tight as a home. The minute you start driving, all the air rushing over the car will gradually introduce particulate into the cabin at a rate quicker than the filtration could handle.

The first car I ever read about that incorporated a HEPA cabin filter was the Ford Countour back in the 90's. That doesn't mean it was the first, just the first to my knowledge.

If your car did not come equipped with one from the factory I would not use one. A HEPA filter is definitely more restrictive so you might not get enough airflow from the blower. I am even reluctant to use the charcoal impregnated versions for the very same reason.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
As for cabin filtration, the question becomes, "Why?!?". Any benefits gained through such high levels of filtration will be lost as soon as you open the car door to exit or roll down your window
I was talking about ENGINE air filtration to keep it running a long time (since my car is rare and basically irreplaceable). My car has a cabin filter but I have no plans to change it. Being a HEPA (honda's manual claims) it's supposed to clean better with age. I think its purpose is to filter out the exhaust that naturally hangs over highways so you don't get CO or NOx or HC poisoned... that's not a concern when you enter or exit your car at home (presumably exhaust free).

Last edited:
I was talking about ENGINE air filtration to keep it running a long time (since my car is rare and basically irreplaceable). My car has a cabin filter but I have no plans to change it. Being a HEPA (honda's manual claims) it's supposed to clean better with age. I think its purpose is to filter out the exhaust that naturally hangs over highways so you don't get CO or NOx or HC poisoned... that's not a concern when you enter or exit your car at home (presumably exhaust free).

A HEPA filter cannot filter gaseous compounds. (the P stands for Particulate). A carbon filter can reduce some odors. Either way, an ENGINE air filter is NOT HEPA. Re-read that manual.

Umm, I see them for sale all the time. While rare, it is not irreplaceable.

By the time my insight wears-out (say 2025), it will be irreplaceable. I won't be able to find another in drivable condition, so that's why I want to make it last as long as possible.

By the time my insight wears-out (say 2025), it will be irreplaceable. I won't be able to find another in drivable condition, so that's why I want to make it last as long as possible.

Nice sentiment, but it will likely fail from the periphery around the engine long before the actual engines goes. Particularly if driven in the NE during the winter (I thought I saw PA in your location).

The insight is made of rustproof aluminum so I'm hoping it lasts longer than most cars. Even steel cars don't fall apart that fast..... I had one car last 25 years with no appreciable damage from rust. The engine died before the car did.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Some parents use their kids as HEPA filters in car while they smoke...those parents should be shot and urinated on.

What fun would that be? Reverse the order of activities.

The thing is in 25 years your Insight will be a gross polluter and a gas hog
wink.gif

Doubt it. Pretty hard to beat 61mpg on just pure gasoline alone (no added electricity). And the insight greenscore placed it #2 (tied with the natural gas Civic). That's cleaner than the Nissan EV and all the hundreds of other car models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back