Tufoil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this additive when added to oil a good product, I have used it in the past but wonder if it has a positive benefit? I looked on site and couldn't see any info on product. TUFOIL /Thanks

Snake oil IMO

First of all it is teflon based I believe. Second, although I cannot prove it, I swear it ruined the main bearings of my 85 Volvo at only 88,000 miles. It did increase the mpg about 2-3 though.

IMO use at own risk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tufoil, Slick 50, Motor Up, zMAX, Prolong, QMI, DURALUBE, etc, etc, etc...

They all have one thing in common: they drain your wallet. Some of them can actually do more harm than good (the ones with Teflon...like Slick 50 and Tufoil), and the FTC has sucessfully sued most of these companies to stop their false advertising.

"Popular Mechanics calls Tufoil "absolutely spectacular" after their test showed a 10.3% fuel savings. "

Does this mean that Popular Mechanics cannot be trusted?

quote:

Originally posted by Ian:
"Popular Mechanics calls Tufoil "absolutely spectacular" after their test showed a 10.3% fuel savings. "

Does this mean that Popular Mechanics cannot be trusted?

It's not wise to put much trust in any one of the popular techno magazines. I think the problem is more a combination of incompetence and unwarranted enthusiasm on their part than it is evilness. That, and the need to have articles that sell magazines sometimes clouds their judgement.

Look for multiple normally reliable sources before you consider any magic elixor article as being valid.

Well ..I'll through my $.02 in here..
smile.gif

Teflon is a very hard product. It isn't liquid until above 500°F. It would trump any softer metal if it was contacted by it in a pressurized environment. The stuff tears up many harder alloys when you make stuff out of it (hammerlite) over time. It would make short work of lead (tin, copper, aluminum)

The only situation that I can think of where it may do something (I didn't say beneficial) is where the oil itself is subjected to higher temps. Like maybe that which makes it into the upper ring area. In this higher temp state it may actually be fluid enough to be applied to something for a little while.
dunno.gif

I would imagine that if it would work that well, the manufacturers would come out with teflon coated bearings ..or maybe ceramic coated crank journals to use with them. They don't ..and looking at some of the lame stretches they pull trying to achieve fuel economy, you'ld think that they've already tried it and rejected it.

If you want to dose your engine with something that will do something, try the SynPower® oil treatment. You may be over dosing it with moly ..but at least the material itself has some worthwhile properties. @ $6.99 a bottle, it's a bargain compared to most snake oils.

parky, this has come up before. please do a search of this forum using the word "tufoil."

I wouldn't buy this stuff ... nor would I buy any PTFE based product.

--- Bror Jace

From http://www.tufstuff.com/tufoil/compare.html

"Tufoil is a super-suspension of micro-miniature PTFE particles and soluble Molybdenum, permanently suspended in oil. All moving parts become coated with PTFE particles which reduce friction and wear."

The above description would send me running in the other direction. If the Moly really is in solution that might be helpful, but particulate Moly and certainly Teflon (TM) or PTFE is generally agreed to not be a useful engine additive.

The MSDS at http://www.tufoil.com/tufoilms.htm indicates a revision date of June 2004 and still lists PTFE at 1%-5% and and Moly at 5%-10%.

I was a little surprised to see the PTFE, since I thought most of those products (Slick50, Duralube etc) had been forced to remove PTFE from their products by the FTC, and were just selling more harmless products on legacy marketing inertia.

The tufoil claims seem less hysteric than the traditional DuraSlickLube50 noise. Is it snake oil? Maybe. Would I put it in my engine? No way. Giving them the benefit of the doubt I could imagine that it might potentially have some use in industrial lubrication, but would it be a good idea inside an internal combustion engine? I expect it would be a terrible idea.

quote:

Originally posted by parky:
Is this additive when added to oil a good product, I have used it in the past but wonder if it has a positive benefit? I looked on site and couldn't see any info on product. TUFOIL /Thanks

Popular Mechanics or the marketing dept of Tufoil stated a 10% increase in MPG. I myself saw a 2-3 mpg increase, however, long term engine wear and protection seem to be ignored in the marketing. As I stated earlier, I believe it was the cause of premature bearing failure on the one engine I did use it on 12 years ago.
Popular mechanics rarely tests products, they usually just report what the marketing dept of the advertising entity wants them to print

I appreciate your replies, I had ordered a quart of Tufoil to use in my new car after breakin mileage was achieved. Am returning it to seller for refund. Is there any additive that actually helps in increasing mileage and engine life? I have a 4 cylinder engine and want to help it last longer. Thanks!

IMO a synthetic oil will provide you 200000 miles+ As to additives, well, I use the Lube Control which is discussed on this board and it has given me better results on the used oil analysis but most additives (especialluy over the conter ones at parts stores) are snake oil so you are better off using a quality oil and filter, air and oil, and not worry about using additives. The Lube Control, Auto RX and Schaefers 132 appear to be good products and I have used all three.

" The Lube Control, Auto RX and Schaefers 132 appear to be good products and I have used all three "

For Spector to post the above you had better listen ! There is no more critically discerning automotive consumer !

bowdown.gif

This horse has been pretty well beaten, but I think I can add a couple cents worth of value. The real trick is to ferret out from morass of garbage out there the few products that actually provide something in exchange for the money you give up to get them. So how do you decide? Certainly not by reading Slick-50-sytle ad hype or by watching some of those silly infomercials. Study our UOA section and search the names of some of these products and you'll able to make an informed judgment. BTW, I too have seen measurable, objective improvement in my UOAs with the use of Lube Conttrol. If you want, search the UOA section by my member number (3733) and compare my first Sequoia UOA with the last. It's just a two sample comparison, but despite pretty similar operating conditions and duration, insolubles dropped from 0.5 to 0.3. If you dig, you'll see other similar results.

I once used Tufoil and I used to really believe in it. In comparison I never used Slick50. Tufoil in the past seemed to have very good documentation. And I did see that article in PM.

I don't use Tufoil anymore. I really do not believe in at least 90% of these so-called engine treatments, oil supplements, engine cleaners, etc. The one product I definitely DO believe in is Auto-RX. It seemed to work for me.

Beyond that I think we can rely on what terry says-after all he does oil analysis.

I have to agree with Spector!

Also we need to know is what kind of new car and engine, the climate and how hard you will be driving it.

I use LC, Auto-RX and Fuel Power with synthetic oil and like the results.

But my vehicles are all 5+ years old and have no warranty! I run extended OCI's with Synthetic oil with the above mentioned products.

IMHO using Lube Control and Fuel Power and using good quality dino and filter following the manufacturers OCI would be the way to go.

You could drop the LC and use Auto-RX every 50K, easier to track and less hassle(adding 1oz of LC every 1000 miles) but more money.

Steve

Yeah, I have to agree with Spector also. The average person would be far better off ignoring all of the engine treatments, oil supplements, engine cleaners and so forth that they see on the shelves. Just use motor oil (of the correct viscosity and quality level), oil filters, etc., of good quality and you are far better off. Use quality synthetic oil and you are even better off.

Unless a person happens to come across this web site or is told about this web site by somebody, most people will never hear of Lube Control, Neutra, Schaeffer's #132, Fuel Power, and Auto-RX. A person is not going to find these items on the typical auto parts store shelf. Do an Auto-RX cleaning every 25,000 miles and you will probably be a far way along to keeping your engine clean and healthy. In fact, you might be able to make a car or truck engine last quite a bit longer.

But again, the average person will never find out about the products that really work. For the average person, the best advice is to stay away from engine treatments, oil supplements, engine cleaners, etc., and just use the best motor oil, oil filters, etc., that you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back