Ford 2.0 EcoBoost / 6F35 Reliability Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently these have detachable manifolds ... I could have swore one of these Eco-Boast engines had a head/manifold in one.

The 1.6T is made in the UK, the 2.0T in Spain, at least for the 2013 Fusions.

From what I've read in the Fusion Forums, the overheating problem with the 1.6T is due to leakage from the freeze plug, or some kind of plug on the exterior of the engine, made of soft metal. (of course, you can believe everything you read on the internet )

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i really wanted to like the Ford comeback story, but their reliability has been pretty [censored] poor the last few years.

Really? Outside of MyFordTouch they have been doing fine...

my eyes must be completely lying to my brain then.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars...bility/1666005/

fiesta and focus transmissions.
mustang v8 manual transmissions.
recalls for combustion count in my book as unreliable. ford has had no fewer than 3 of these in the last year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
i really wanted to like the Ford comeback story, but their reliability has been pretty [censored] poor the last few years.

Really? Outside of MyFordTouch they have been doing fine...

my eyes must be completely lying to my brain then.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars...bility/1666005/

fiesta and focus transmissions.
mustang v8 manual transmissions.
recalls for combustion count in my book as unreliable. ford has had no fewer than 3 of these in the last year.

From your link:

"
A big factor in Ford's decline was owner dissatisfaction with its MyFord/MyLincoln Touch voice-controlled infotainment and communications system, which has been widely criticized as overly complicated. It was blamed for low Ford scores earlier this year in influential J.D. Power and Associates surveys."

That's exactly what he said.

I'm still trying to figure how an issue with MyFordTouch which has had many upgrades to make it work better causes a car to be unreliable. To me unreliable is transmissions failing, engines exploding, things falling off, etc.

you might want to read Car and Driver. They had a focus that simply went nuts at times, could not turn the stereo off, etc.

No one could fix it.

My parents' doesn't have MFT. The MFT available on the Escapes is a different hardware revision on the escapes.

Can't be worse than the U-Connect systems that would just repeat "Uconnect" all the time haha.

16'' wheels won't fit on it, bummer. Guess I gotta return those Taurus wheels.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
you might want to read Car and Driver. They had a focus that simply went nuts at times, could not turn the stereo off, etc.

No one could fix it.

Heck, a friends' Tundra does that. His wife won't let him turn on the stereo anymore because it randomly changes channels or inputs, goes to full volume, and won't shut off.
[/quote]

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Another thing that concerns me is the exhaust manifold is part of the head?! That's going to be a problem considering exhaust manifolds last a few years maximum. If the turbo is in the manifold ... eek!

Since WHEN is an exhaust manifold expected to be short-life item, either cast in or not cast in the head? Every car in my .sig has its original exhaust manifolds. Even my daughter's 99 Jeep which has the thin-wall tubular steel 'header' type manifold used on the 4.0 for a long time. I don't think I've ever had to replace an exhaust manifold in 30 years of driving, and only a few exhaust manifold gaskets.

The turbo is never "in" the manifold. Its bolted to the collector outlet, or a short piece of piping- but that causes thermal losses so most OEMs put it as close to the exhaust manifold as possible.

I'm tough on things, and any early production product like the eco-boost requires an extended warranty in my mind.

It's not my job to do beta testing on products. Period, end of story.

I'll take the risk, only with an extended powertrain warranty through the manufacturer.

My 09 F150 has an extended warranty. First year for the trans in that truck!

I purchased the warranty, online "after the fact" from a reputable Ford Dealer, for half the normal cost.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Another thing that concerns me is the exhaust manifold is part of the head?! That's going to be a problem considering exhaust manifolds last a few years maximum. If the turbo is in the manifold ... eek!

Since WHEN is an exhaust manifold expected to be short-life item, either cast in or not cast in the head? Every car in my .sig has its original exhaust manifolds. Even my daughter's 99 Jeep which has the thin-wall tubular steel 'header' type manifold used on the 4.0 for a long time. I don't think I've ever had to replace an exhaust manifold in 30 years of driving, and only a few exhaust manifold gaskets.

The turbo is never "in" the manifold. Its bolted to the collector outlet, or a short piece of piping- but that causes thermal losses so most OEMs put it as close to the exhaust manifold as possible.

I remember a lot of Ford trucks with bad exhaust manifolds, a few of the dodge trucks too.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I remember a lot of Ford trucks with bad exhaust manifolds, a few of the dodge trucks too.

It can certainly happen... but its pretty darn rare in the grand scheme of things. Certainly not something I'd ever worry about unless I were looking at a model with a documented history of being prone to exhaust manifold problems. And IMO, casting the manifold into the head pretty much eliminates the problem. ;-) Yes, the head now has to be cooled adequately, but its been done a lot in recent years, and not just on the Pentastar v6. No big issue.

Apparently ford axed the manifold and head in one.

Does the pentastar have the exhaust manifolds cast into the head?

It does. I arched my eyebrows really high a few years ago when Allpar first published info on the engine. And who knows, maybe the extra heat put into the head casting during operation was even part of the need to strengthen the casting back in August. But I'll testify to one thing: it sure as heck doesn't hurt performance! I've read hand-waving claims that it even helps overall thermal efficiency, but honestly I don't see how.

The single outlet on the side of the head casting is pretty obvious in this Allpar picture of a cutaway engine (its in red, too):

v6.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back