2013 Accord Sport 2.4 CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of changing the oil at 4k miles as for my first oil cahnge the car calls for a 0w-20. I am thinking of either using Mobil 1 AFE or Pennzoil Platinum. Which which do you prefer. Thanks in advance.

Follow the owner's manual on this one.

Honda instructs the owner to leave the factory fill in the engine until the Oil Life Monitor reaches around 15%.

The reason why is because the oil is fortified with very high levels of moly and the engineers feel this is important to increase the reliability and longevity of the engine.

Last edited:
Personally, i would change the factory fill at 40% OLM. That should be about 4-5k miles, plenty of time for the engine to break-in. Do the 1st oil change with Honda OEM synthetic-blend oil to about 40%. Then for your 2nd oil change fill with whatever synthetic you want with a high quality filter and change it at the recommended 15%. My personal recommendation would be Platinum and Purolator Synthetic or PureOne. Reason i dont recommend Mobil1 is because the Honda 4-cylinders are sensitive to it. Lots of S2000 owners complaining about M1 burning, plus my civic isnt a fan. My Accord wasnt either. Story: Accord V6 burned 1/2qt M1 5w-20 after 3 Autox events, 3800 miles use. Filled with Pennzoil Ultra and it didnt burn any after 4 events and 3800 miles of use.

Just 2small side notes:
Before the OLM the 2.4L Accords were specced for 5k miles on severe and 10k miles on normal for the OCI

And the Honda specced the S2000 for synthetic oil AFTER 7500 miles. Being that the K24 and F20/22 are very similar, that might be a good idea to follow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BurgerMcDo
How about Honda OEM oil filters?

They flow very well, filtration is standard. There are better choices.

Yeah that's what I read too. But I talked to three different dealerships and they said to change it a 4-5k miles or 6 months. Is that true?

I don't understand WHY would you trust
"dealerships" over the folks that actually engineered and manufactured your vehicle, and specifically state that the factory fill be left in until the OLM hits around 15%.

Don't put too much stock in a few anecdotal stories from owners here who claim they have no issues after NOT following Honda's specific instructions either regarding the factory fill.

Honda didn't get to be a premier engine manufacturer giving their customers poor instructions regarding the care of the cars.

We all know that dealerships have your best interest at heart.
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Any dealership that advises you to ignore the OLM and follow maintenance based on mileage only is inherently dishonest and should be avoided at all cost.

Follow the OLM. No need for any complicated process to "break-in" an engine. There are plenty of threads here with new Honda owners asking for advice. The best advice, follow the OLM and use a good synthetic and oil filter combo.

Honda, like many manufacturers, are going "Green" and this means an attempt to minimize waste. Early oil changes are considered as extra waste, hence they recommend you leave the oil in and change it at the regular interval.

I personally believe an engine is done with break-in after 1-3k miles (if done right, you should have put the engine through its paces after that many miles (many hot / cold cycles, wide open throttle pulls, highway cruising, etc, etc) and its a good time to get the oil that's now full of metallic shavings outta the engine.

Of course we all know that the block will be perfectly fine even if you leave the oil in place for the full maintenance cycle but many still dump it because its technically healthier for the engine.

Just my opinion.

I also agree on running the Honda synthetic blend oil for the second oil fill before going to synthetic on the second oil change (after 10k miles or so)

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Follow the owner's manual on this one.

Honda instructs the owner to leave the factory fill in the engine until the Oil Life Monitor reaches around 15%.

The reason why is because the oil is fortified with very high levels of moly and the engineers feel this is important to increase the reliability and longevity of the engine.

You should follow this advice without question. Honda has no ulterior motive in making this recommendation. It's simply the right thing to do for your car. If every single dealer in the world were to disagree with that recommendation, it would simply mean that every single dealer in the world was wrong.

Use any oil that meets your spec when it's time to change it. Don't worry about doing better than the OEM filter. Just worry about doing worse than it.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Honda, like many manufacturers, are going "Green" and this means an attempt to minimize waste. Early oil changes are considered as extra waste, hence they recommend you leave the oil in and change it at the regular interval.

I personally believe an engine is done with break-in after 1-3k miles (if done right, you should have put the engine through its paces after that many miles (many hot / cold cycles, wide open throttle pulls, highway cruising, etc, etc) and its a good time to get the oil that's now full of metallic shavings outta the engine.

Of course we all know that the block will be perfectly fine even if you leave the oil in place for the full maintenance cycle but many still dump it because its technically healthier for the engine.

Just my opinion.

I also agree on running the Honda synthetic blend oil for the second oil fill before going to synthetic on the second oil change (after 10k miles or so)

Glad im not the only one.

Most definitely keep it in until at least 15% or longer. I don't know about those dealerships that told you to change out so early but that would raise a concern in my mind. Honda knows engines so follow the MM until its actually time for the OCI. I wouldn't follow this "change out at 1-3k or 40%" nonsense. Too old school for these modern times and technology.

I changed the oil in a new '08 Civic at 2K miles and it was at 110K miles when I traded it.The Civic never burnt a drop of oil.Used Amsoil 0w20 with a 8K-9K change interval.
I changed the wife's CR-V at 2K also and it will be fine.Using Toyota 0w20 SM Red and black bottle.24 bottles of red and 16 black on hand.Plenty of moly!
smile.gif

So a Honda doesn't blow up if you change the FF early.

So what happens if a year goes by, and the OLM monitor reads 40%. Owners manual says it should be changed, yet its not at 15%. This seems like a Dec 21 2012 scenario to me...

at the one year mark yes change the oil irregardless of OLM or less than the OCI.

Last edited:
Ok after asking around a little bit more and actually calling Honda company itself. They said that the dealership recommendation is based from where you live at. Because different location has different wheather and as for my location. I live in Florida, alot beach. Salty air, hot wheather and humidity. thats why the Honda dealership here is recommendation is 6 months or 5k miles which ever comes first which is also the mechanics personal recommentaion if it was his car. What do you guys think.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
I ask Honda Canada this question before and was refered to dealers.
lol.gif

My dealer told me OLM div>

And I was told OLM 12 months, whichever comes first!

Ok after asking around a little bit more and actually calling Honda company itself. They said that the dealership recommendation is based from where you live at.

So you called AHM???

I'm frankly surprised that they would have mentioned that the dealer recommendation trumps the OLM because that function is complex enough to account for severe service.

Ambient temps even though they are very warm are not extrem, as for the salt air, well that sounds like nonsense to me. The air filter will capture salt residues.

Again if Honda put the instructions in writing in your OWNER'S MANUAL you should adhere to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back