Castrol oil recommendation for a Harley??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I questioned Castrol regarding there Castrol RS V-Twin oil engineered and tested for Harley Davidson, (Says on the Bottle)

I could not believe the response I recieved, Holy [censored]!! They also told me over the phone to make sure I let my HD dealer know what Castrol is recommending?

Thank you for contacting Castrol.

Harley-Davidson recommends the use of their genuine oils at all times or, if not available, to use an SAE 20W-50, API SL/CF oil that meets their HD 240 (1996-2005 model year) or HD 360 (2006 and newer model year) ratings.

Although we have no doubt that our Power RS products will provide the required protection and performance in Harley-Davidson engines, they are not approved under HD 240 / HD 360 or claim API CF. Therefore, if a motorcycle engine is still under warranty, we recommend that only Harley-Davidson genuine oils be used.

Castrol Consumer Relations

Sounds like they did not pay to have their oils tested for Harley 240/360 specs. And also, I have tried that oil in my bikes and it does not hold up well in a wet clutch system.

IMHO...its okay oil but Mobil 1 V twin is much better

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sounds like they did not pay to have their oils tested for Harley 240/360 specs. And also, I have tried that oil in my bikes and it does not hold up well in a wet clutch system.

IMHO...its okay oil but Mobil 1 V twin is much better

The mobil 1 v-twin is junk. I put that garbage in my Harley and the bike sounded like it was going to blow up. In under 1000 miles it drained and was consistency of water,when the bike was cold.
Harley big twins don't need a v-twin oil. They don't share fluid(sporty excepted) so any 50 grade is more than adequate.
I put royal purple 20w-50 in mine and the top end clatter I experienced with mobil disappeared. I'm now using motul 10w-60 and the top end is still quiet,no clatter.
Amsoil v-twin 20w-50 was also noisy,the straight 60 was less noisy that the 20w-50,but nothing was like the mobil 1. I thought my bike has broken a pushrod or a broken rocker arm it was so bad.
Another reason I don't like mobil 1.
Best oil,and most cost effective I ever put in a shared sump bike I owned(own) is rotella t 15w-40 conventional. That stuff keeps the honda's I have quiet as a mouse. And I change it once the engine gets noisy,which is about 3000 miles.

Hey Clevy, very true! I have had all the same synthetic oil related noise issue as you, I was actually considering trying Royal Purple, I have read on other sites that RP does help with engine noise that other synthetics cause. The New 2012 Harleys with the 103CI are even more noisy, even with Harley's 360 Dino?.. I'm on the Hunt. Thanx!

Noise does not always mean accelerated wear. And UOA's actually show the new formulation of Mobil 1 20w50 V twin to get thicker in a Harley not thinner. The Castrol sheared WAY out of grade in my shared sump Speedmaster. And I have found Rotella T6 to not hold up as well either. But some bikes are harder than others on oil. I think a lot of the noise with the new Twin Cams is because they run so bloody hot compared to the older Evo's. My pop's evo powered FXDL is quiet with Mobil 1 although since its way out of warranty and give the excellent UOA's on here we just use Kendall GT1 20w50 or Valvoline VR1 in it now.

Last edited:
I have a 2000 XL 1200 Sportster and the clutch/primary chain and transmission are separate from the engine.

I use the Mobil 1 20w-50 in my engine and it doesn't seem to use it like the it did the HD oil that was in it when I got the bike.

I just completed two Harley services-
1) 2011 Electra Glide Limited (Stage 1 air cleaner, V&H Header pipes an Mufflers, SE Super Tuner)with 103 engine - 20k miles - Redline 20w-50 in engine, Amsoil 75w-110 Severe Gear in Tranny, and Schaffers Supreme 7000 in Primary.
2) 2013 TriGlide (stock)with 103 engine - 1k miles - Amsoil 20w-50 engine, Amsoil 75w-110 Severe Gear in Tranny, and Schaffers in the Primary.

The bikes get all oils changed every 5k miles...just like my truck and car..

Why the differences in oil? Cause it's what I had sitting on the shelf...:)

Once either scoot gets hot the engines are noisy...it don't matter what you run in them Harley's make noise..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back