Motorcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
picked up a MC FL-2051 for a 6.7 Powerstroke f250 i routinely service. It was 26.50 with tax, and i mentioned to the service manager that it was pretty expensive being i can pick up the 7.3 FL-1995 for $10 at walmart and the 6.0 FL-2016 for $20. He got sarcastic (of course, what else would you expect from a dealer [censored]) and said the MC filters at walmart arent the same specs and less quality. If thats the case then it seems like the AC Delcos at WM wouldnt meet spec either. The FL-1995 at the dealer is 13$ and the FL-2016 is $23.

The dealer is charging true MSRP on those filters. Ford sells filters to Wal-Mart for less than the dealers can buy them with all possible incentives. Wal-Mart sells Motorcraft oil for less than dealer cost.

Rockauto is pretty competetive on MC filters

Your filter is $14

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,48,partnum,FL2051,d,MOTORCRAFT_FL2051.html

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
picked up a MC FL-2051 for a 6.7 Powerstroke f250 i routinely service. It was 26.50 with tax, and i mentioned to the service manager that it was pretty expensive being i can pick up the 7.3 FL-1995 for $10 at walmart and the 6.0 FL-2016 for $20. He got sarcastic (of course, what else would you expect from a dealer [censored]) and said the MC filters at walmart arent the same specs and less quality. If thats the case then it seems like the AC Delcos at WM wouldnt meet spec either. The FL-1995 at the dealer is 13$ and the FL-2016 is $23.

At which point you might have asked him if he knows the exact spot of the unmarked graves in the desert out past Terlingua, where them boys from the Grassy Knoll are buried. And/or asked to see his tin foil hat.
56.gif

Of sure I get the problem here.

You are complaining that different filters are different prices.

Why not just go to WM and buy an FL 2051

Maybe I have this wrong but it seems that you are moaning about the price of a Mars bar and saying I can buy a Twix and a Marathon for less at WM.

The only way your argument would make sense is if you were talking about the exact same product.

I assume that since they have different part numbers they are not the same price.

Not to speak for the OP, but how I intepreted it was that he (the OP) couldn't obtain said MC FL-2051 at Wally. He was able to find another filter, the FL-2016 for $10 there though and went on to show the price difference. So, he was a comparing the price of other MC filters he was able to buy at Wally. Most Wallys only carry limited MC applications.

In any case the managers comment about the MC's from Wally being somehow different than those from the dealer pretty much destroyed whatever credibility he might have had on the topic. Based on the manager's response, imo the OP's description of him is accurate here.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The dealer is charging true MSRP on those filters. Ford sells filters to Wal-Mart for less than the dealers can buy them with all possible incentives. Wal-Mart sells Motorcraft oil for less than dealer cost.

My dealer has MC list price as $2.xx

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Of sure I get the problem here.

You are complaining that different filters are different prices.

Why not just go to WM and buy an FL 2051

Maybe I have this wrong but it seems that you are moaning about the price of a Mars bar and saying I can buy a Twix and a Marathon for less at WM.

The only way your argument would make sense is if you were talking about the exact same product.

I assume that since they have different part numbers they are not the same price.

Marathon bars are still being made? That used to be my favorite candy bar,until they went extinct!
20.gif

Oops.

Sorry Freudian slip.

I meant Snickers!

Still can't help but call them Marathons.

Still alive and well and selling in the UK and Europe.

The number of new choc bars is staggering these days.

Latest one is a Mars Caramel bar. Same price as a normal Mars but they keep the nougat part!

...and said the MC filters at walmart arent the same specs and less quality.

Funny, how the FL-820s has the exact same part number and packaging just as the only one that I ever bought from a dealer. I suppose all of the ones that I have purchased from AAP are subpar as well. Me thinks he has a degree in bovine scatology.

He got sarcastic (of course, what else would you expect from a dealer [censored]) and said the MC filters at walmart arent the same specs and less quality.

Ah, yes. Dealers parts men have been saying that before WalMart even opened their doors. 30 years ago, they couldn't compete with the spark plugs that were sold at WalMart for about 1/4 of the price.
I would have ask him why Motorcraft was selling two different quality lines of parts. Basically he just admitted (wrongly, of course) that Motorcraft has a good quality and a bad quality line of parts. Then ask him how he is so sure that Ford didn't just recently send the bad line of parts to his dealership. Of course he was just telling you the "form letter" response because there isn't a truthful answer that he could say without making himself look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back