Oil additives to remove sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a '92 Olds Bravada w/over 200K miles on a V-6 engine. We have kept the engine fairly well maintained w/reglar oll changes and it has had no major problems and uses very little oil.
However I have noticed that the oil becomes very dirty looking in a short time after an oil change. I assume this is due to accumulated engine sludge contaminating the oil.
I am concidering adding some kind of detergent just prior to the next oil change to help remove some of this sludge.
It that a good idea? If so, any reccomendations as to which to use?
Any advice appreciated.

Auto-RX (www.auto-rx.com)
Esso/Exxon System Cleaner (www.exxon.com/www.imperialoil.ca)

are two products which I feel will accomplish what you wish to accomplish. Running a high-detergent diesel-rated oil for a few OCI's such as Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo should also have a cleaning effect on the engine.

Edit: I might add that both of the above are available from site sponsors, Auto-RX, and AVlube accordingly.

[ January 10, 2005, 03:52 AM: Message edited by: pitzel ]

Auto-RX. Without a doubt you need Auto-rx. Do a search on this forum and you'll see it performs as advertised.

Subject: Oil Change / Engine Flush

When you change oil,it's best to change it hot.This way all the crud is in suspension.
Before you start the engine add 1/2 Qt.of diesel fuel.Do not rev engine.
Let it idle.
When operating temps achieved,
shut down and drain.
When you think it's drained to your satisfaction pour another 1/2 Qt. straight through engine.
This will pick up extra residue on bottom of pan. I have been doing this for about five years with every oil change on two cars with no problem. Good Luck !

I would not say Rislone is a kerosone based fluid ,its a high level detergent/dispersont with high level package of other adds..so Im told,by a rep,personally I have used this product and IT WORKS as used as directed...BL

Do not use Risoline your money is better spent else where!!! Kerosine will clean some of the sludge but can be hard on the engine especialy in an engine with 200,000 miles on it. Their is also the risk of it breaking off the sludge in big chunks and plugging the oil pick up screen. Diesel is so dirty that I would never use that when Kerosine is so widely available this time of year and all the cautions that apply to Kerosine apply to it.

THe best tested product with a money back gurantee that is gentel and effective is Auto-Rx! Normaly I would recomend that you use LC after you are done with the Auto-Rx to keep it clean. In this case with 200,000 miles I would not worry too much about keeping it clean. I figure if you get 300,000 out of it you owe it too the engine and yourself to rebuild it!

Nothing wrong with Rislone IMO. Before I spent much time reading this board, I used it for years on numerous vehicles that all had over 200,000 miles when they were sold. All were running well! I would use the "add anytime formula" about 700 miles or so before each oil change. For the price it was hard to beat.

On my AWD 4.0L Aerostar with over 200,000 miles I did a double auto-rx treatment. Since my vehicles have had top quality synthetic oil on 5-7,000 mile intervals (along with Rislone), they were probably in great shape clean wise. The oil on the first rinse cycle did seem a tad dirtier than on the regular changes.

I now am trying LC and FC on all my personal and work vehicles.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
Auto-RX (www.auto-rx.com)
Esso/Exxon System Cleaner (www.exxon.com/www.imperialoil.ca)

are two products which I feel will accomplish what you wish to accomplish. Running a high-detergent diesel-rated oil for a few OCI's such as Shell Rotella or Chevron Delo should also have a cleaning effect on the engine.

Edit: I might add that both of the above are available from site sponsors, Auto-RX, and AVlube accordingly.

Here is the USA product sheet .

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2INDEXSystemCleaner.asp

and one can go here and select Canada and type in Exxon System Cleaner for the MSDS .

http://www.host1.exxonmobil.com/psims/psims.aspx

Quite an interesting Ester type product IMO .

AutoRX is a good choice, but I also try to add 1 pint of MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) 500-700 miles prior to every oil change. That darkens up the oil real good.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back