Techron dosing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I bought Techron Concentrate Plus last summer at AZ in 12 and 20 ounce sizes. The 12 ounce says "treats up to 12 gallons" and the 20 ounce says "treats up to 20 gallons". I'm not a math wiz but this tells me that 1 oz. per gallon is the least you should use for proper dosing.
I bought a bottle of Techron at Walmart last week that's 10 ounces and it states "treats up to 15 gallons"....meaning that the WM version treats 1.5 gallons of gasoline per ounce.

Do you think this is a more concentrated version or what?

...It doesn't say anything about it being "new and improved" or "more concentrated than before" etc....

When Regane went over to the smaller version they specifically stated something like "smaller bottle more cleaning " or "more concentrated for more cleaning power than the bigger bottle"....

Can you look at both MSDS and see?

Walmart has enough clout to request and get what they want.

But were I to guess, I would say its a label error and its all the same stuff.

....I ask because I had always assumed that the 12 ounce bottle was barely OK for my 13.2 gallon Corolla's and Ion's tank.
Now it seems that the 12 ounce is 'more than enough' for either....

These different sizes and concentrations have been around for a while

In fact, Walmart actually ask all suppliers for concentrated versions in order to reduce supply chain costs

Originally Posted By: Obos

In fact, Walmart actually ask all suppliers for concentrated versions in order to reduce supply chain costs

That's interesting...so you think the 10 oz. Walmart version is more concentrated?

Originally Posted By: pbm
I bought Techron Concentrate Plus last summer at AZ in 12 and 20 ounce sizes. The 12 ounce says "treats up to 12 gallons" and the 20 ounce says "treats up to 20 gallons". I'm not a math wiz but this tells me that 1 oz. per gallon is the least you should use for proper dosing.
I bought a bottle of Techron at Walmart last week that's 10 ounces and it states "treats up to 15 gallons"....meaning that the WM version treats 1.5 gallons of gasoline per ounce.

Do you think this is a more concentrated version or what?

What did you pay for the 10 oz? The WM website doesn't list a price. At sale prices (e.g. $7.99) for the 20 oz size, $0.40/oz appears to be a reasonable price, so $4.00 would be a fair price for the 10 oz size.

I think the 10 oz. bottle was $6.99 with a $2 off coupon attached for a total of $4.99.

Gumout Regane has been 'Rolledback' from $4.97 to $4.37 a bottle...I think it's the better deal.

This, while an interesting notion, is not proof that the Walmart version is more concentrated. Chevrons site does not split their products up by destination, nor does it offer multiple MSDS/PDS information.

I'm suspect that it's any different than the volumes found at other stores.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody wants to send a bottle to Blackstone for analysis?

Since the active ingredient in Techron is PEA, what exactly would Blackstone be able to tell you? Too bad there isn't an easy way to test for PEA concentration.

Could they analyze it?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Could they analyze it?

I think to analyze for PEA, you'd have to use a GC (Gas Chromatograph)... I don't think GCs are typically used for UOAs.

There should be an account where members can donate whatever money they have to have to purchase a lab sample. There will be a poll or thread of the week for a particular product to be tested. Then each members throws in a quarter or whatever and a sample is done and posted. Blackstone can even host this.

I suspect we must have some chemical engineers who can at least tells us if Walmart version is more concentrated than the AAP version. I mean most electrical engineers have their own multimeter and soldering iron at their home. I presume chemical engineers have (at least access to) Gas Chromatograph in their workshop :)

I suspect we must have some chemical engineers who can at least tells us if Walmart version is more concentrated than the AAP version. I mean most electrical engineers have their own multimeter and soldering iron at their home. I presume chemical engineers have (at least access to) Gas Chromatograph in their workshop :)

Tough to presume anything here. LOL
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: cchase

This, while an interesting notion, is not proof that the Walmart version is more concentrated. Chevrons site does not split their products up by destination, nor does it offer multiple MSDS/PDS information.

There was a separate PDS on walmarts website that I checked and compared against chevrons own PDS

The labeling also said concentrated when I purchased it from Walmart a couple of years ago

And lastly, you could just believe what the manufacturer says especially when the Walmart size is not sold where the 12oz and 20oz size is sold. Companies like to make specific versions of products to make price comparison harder and they like to make money but they aren't pathological liars to the extent that they would mislead on the treat rate of a product they invented. They need it to work for their reputation as well

Originally Posted By: cchase

There was a separate PDS on walmarts website that I checked and compared against chevrons own PDS

The labeling also said concentrated when I purchased it from Walmart a couple of years ago

And lastly, you could just believe what the manufacturer says especially when the Walmart size is not sold where the 12oz and 20oz size is sold. Companies like to make specific versions of products to make price comparison harder and they like to make money but they aren't pathological liars to the extent that they would mislead on the treat rate of a product they invented. They need it to work for their reputation as well

Link?

If I believe the manufacturer (Chevron), I would come to the conclusion that the Walmart product is no different since they (Chevron) do not provide separate data for the Walmart version... Its has nothing to do with whether anyone is lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back