Insight 25% overfilled - is that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't recall posting this here. If it's a repeat: I apologize.

(1) I purchased a Purolator air filter at Pep Boys. (2) I also purchased 3 quarts of Mobil 1 ow-20 and then asked them to perform the change. The idiot mechanic poured all three quarts in. When I asked why he said, "The computer doesn't show halves so it just rounds-up to 3." :-o I am hoping the extra half quart went into the new filter & causes no damage.

Last edited:
What kind of computer do they have? They should be using websites like Amsoil instead.And Pep Boys does everything for less......

why dont you check the dipstick and come back and report your findings?

Already did. I can't read the dipstick because the oil is so thin and the stick is black, so I can't tell how high it goes. It's above the top "hole" in the stick but I can't tell how much.

if you made it home you are probably ok. if it were me, i would drain it completely and then (reuse) put in the correct amount.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
Already did. I can't read the dipstick because the oil is so thin and the stick is black, so I can't tell how high it goes. It's above the top "hole" in the stick but I can't tell how much.

You should still be able to read it even with fresh clear oil.
Wipe the dipstick throughly clean (no oil gloss remaining) an slowly reinsert, wait a few seconds them slowly extract it. Under close examination you should be able to see the glossy oil point vs dry area of the d'stick. If you still can't use a magnifying glass under a bright light.

Do as CATERHAM says but, have a light colored paper towel ready laying flat. When you pull dipstick out gently with no sliding, lay it on paper towel, you will see where oil level is in respect to full/low mark. Works everytime.

take it back to petboys and have them remove the over 25% extra oil they put in. for free.

Originally Posted By: theaveng
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
No.
I like this answer.
Plus I'm going 10,000 miles so the extra half-quart just means I won't need to do any topping off.

BINGO!
You and your engine will be just fine.

On my Prius, its a pretty big deal to overfill the sump. It takes 3.9qts, and a lot of Prius owners have gotten burned by going to oil change places, trusting them, then later getting a CEL for a throttle body faults, etc because the oil tech put in over 4 quarts. The addtl oil gets sucked into the throttle body by the PCV and messes up the MAF big time.

Not sure about the insight, but why not just drain the extra oil that was put into a clean container (siphon through dipstick?) and save it for top-off?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: [email protected]
On my Prius, its a pretty big deal to overfill the sump. It takes 3.9qts, and a lot of Prius owners have gotten burned by going to oil change places, trusting them, then later getting a CEL for a throttle body faults, etc because the oil tech put in over 4 quarts.
Yeah I've read those posts (I used to belong to a prius forum). The Prius is a pretty picky machine that throws a lot of faults. And feels really strange/disconnected to drive (I've driven all 3 generations). So far my insight has gone 400 miles on 3 quarts w/o any noticeable problem.

Over on TDIclub they claim a 1 quart overfill will "sludge the engine over time". So I have to be careful with my beetle too (takes about 4 1/2 quarts). Would be easier if foreign companies just rounded to the nearest quart rather than 3.9 or 2.4

That's funny because I put 4 qts in my Prius every oc and I never get any of those CEL you said were common in my picky machine.
smile.gif

Last edited:
No you wouldn't. The other guy said "over" 4 quarts. Maybe the tech put in the whole 4 liter bottle (4.2 quarts) or was just careless with his bulk fill. Who knows?

BTW I'm shopping for a 1st or 2nd gen prius. I like to "nudge" the prius because of the Toyota/Honda rivalry but it really is a solid car (if a bit dull). Honda's had problems with its High Voltage batteries dying but Toyota has not. They did a good job protecting the battery from premature wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back