GM Factory Fill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched and searched and could not find any UOAs on GM factory fill. I am picking up a brand new 2012 Yukon and am debating draining right away for Mobil1 or keep the factory fill in for the 1st 5k miles. I dont know the build date on the vehicle yet but Im sure being a 2012 its probably at least 1yr old. Thoughts?

I'd keep the factory fill in for 1k then switch to whatever you want (those Yukons could run on honey.) The new Dexos stuff is supposed to be pretty good. Most FF UOAs wouldn't give an accurate statement as to the oil because it will be littered with metal shavings etc. as the engine wears itself.

The factory fill is good stuff id keep it in then switch out. Nice choice on vehicles.
thumbsup2.gif

Congrats on the truck. Myself, I keep the factory fill
in for 1600 km (1000 mi). I would use the dealer dexos 1
again, then switch to Mobil 1. Talk to the sevice dept.to make sure it's Ok for warranty. Enjoy the ride.

Never drain FF early unless its a unfiltered OPE. At least 2-3K miles min. You have a filter. Are the Yukons/suburbans nice again? They were good in the early 90s then they went to %^$$%#! after the redesign.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
I searched and searched and could not find any UOAs on GM factory fill. I am picking up a brand new 2012 Yukon and am debating draining right away for Mobil1 or keep the factory fill in for the 1st 5k miles. I dont know the build date on the vehicle yet but Im sure being a 2012 its probably at least 1yr old. Thoughts?

4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 are all very easy on oil. As stated earlier, add honey if needed (j/k!).

Seriously, we run a fleet with all 6.o's and a few 5.3's and they run nearly forever. Our secret? Pick whatever synthetic is on sale and change when the OLM says to.

Pretty simple. And we have as severe a duty cycle as anything in the entire world.

The factory fill oil is a conventional Mobil oil similar to 5000. You can run it as far or as short as you want. I tend to like to run my first oil change to 2-3,000 miles and dump to get rid of casting and other new debris.

Enjoy the truck - it was built in my plant. Any problems shoot me a PM and I can help.

We built our last 2012 in June and went to 2013's.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
The factory fill oil is a conventional Mobil oil similar to 5000. You can run it as far or as short as you want. I tend to like to run my first oil change to 2-3,000 miles and dump to get rid of casting and other new debris.

Enjoy the truck - it was built in my plant. Any problems shoot me a PM and I can help.

I dont believe this is correct. All vehicles now have DEXOS in them which is at minimum a synblend. It also has a completely different additive package than mobil super line up. The additive package is almost identical to motorcraft, even though they're made by two different oil companies.

Heres a UOA of what GM factory fill oil looks like.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2344122

Originally Posted By: volk06

I dont believe this is correct. All vehicles now have DEXOS in them which is at minimum a synblend. It also has a completely different additive package than mobil super line up. The additive package is almost identical to motorcraft, even though they're made by two different oil companies.

Well, I do work at the assembly plant and see Mobil 55gal drums.... I did also say "SIMILAR" to 5000. But I was wrong - I meant to say similar to the Mobil 7500 which was a semi-syn. Your point well taken. The Super Syn as well as Mobil 1 meets Dexos. I will go out tomorrow and read the label on the drum and see what it says. Even though our engines come from Powertrain already filled...we are required to use the same exact oil for repair use, topping off etc.

32.gif
You wouldn't happen to have anything like a scratch-and-dent-bin full of engines with cosmetic defects and the like for cheap would you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06

Well, I do work at the assembly plant and see Mobil 55gal drums.... I did also say "SIMILAR" to 5000. But I was wrong - I meant to say similar to the Mobil 7500 which was a semi-syn. Your point well taken. The Super Syn as well as Mobil 1 meets Dexos. I will go out tomorrow and read the label on the drum and see what it says. Even though our engines come from Powertrain already filled...we are required to use the same exact oil for repair use, topping off etc.

Per UOA and voa, doesn't the super syn and super 5000 have the same additive package? Very interesting. I know the AC Delco oil bottles look identical to the super bottles.

It's official! Just got home with the new truck! Signed my life away for 72 months 0% financing. 2012 Yukon SLT Metallic Steel Gray (looks platinum) with 20" Polished Aluminum rims, black leather interior with quad captains, heavy duty trailer package. Im so happy. This is the most loaded new vehicle I have ever bought. Hope to keep it forever. I will take pics tomorrow and post if I can figure out how to post here.

cheers

CONGRATS! If you continue our PM - send me your VIN and I can send you all the details of your truck including when it was built, any issues we had with it at the plant, all the options installed etc.

Originally Posted By: yonyon

32.gif
You wouldn't happen to have anything like a scratch-and-dent-bin full of engines with cosmetic defects and the like for cheap would you?

LOL...no their wasn't really any changes for 2013 that created any left overs.

Loving the truck so far. I just got the mud guards installed on friday, what a PITA! Im not totally sold on these as far as looks but we dump a lot of salt here in Chicago during the winter so its a no brainer for me. I am still debating if I should dump factory fill at 500 miles or so or dump it now or what. Does anyone have any personal insight to this? Also what is the difference between the 'high-capacity air cleaner' in the Z71 package trucks and the standard air cleaner? Is it just a filter with more pleats with a vaccuum guage on the lid?

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
Loving the truck so far. I just got the mud guards installed on friday, what a PITA! Im not totally sold on these as far as looks but we dump a lot of salt here in Chicago during the winter so its a no brainer for me. I am still debating if I should dump factory fill at 500 miles or so or dump it now or what. Does anyone have any personal insight to this? Also what is the difference between the 'high-capacity air cleaner' in the Z71 package trucks and the standard air cleaner? Is it just a filter with more pleats with a vaccuum guage on the lid?

The high capacity filter is only slightly larger (thicker). The airboxes themselves are all the same except for some with or w/o the air filter change meter.

I would run the oil out to 3,000 miles and change then go by the OLM or whatever interval you wish.

Last edited:
Enjoy the ride.72 months is a long time but cant beat 0% financing. Just dont try trading it in before your 72 months,u will get killed.I would change it out at around 2000 miles,then use any syn on sale,and change it at zero on olm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back