Casey's Gas (for you midwesterners)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Illinois, and in every small town there is a Casey's General Store (with Pizza and other stuff inside, and a good selection of sundries, etc.) It is always said that Casey's has terrible gas, but I know a lot of people who use it and it doesn't immediately cause any failures that I know of. Has anyone researched Casey's gas and where it comes from, and where it sits relative to the "big boys?"

Someone told me the stations were owned by a local grocery store chain, but that may just be the local ones. Our gas probably comes from a different source then your in Ill, because of the ethanol though. My guess is they buy it from a local refinery.

I've filled up hundreds of times at Caseys with no problems. I live not too far from their corporate campus in Ankeny.

There are 2 types of Caseys. The company owned store, and the older franchise stores. I think the problem may come from some of the older franchise stores where there were fewer controls on quality in the past than there are now.

At least in Iowa, their trucks pull out of the same fuel depots as everyone else.

quote:

Originally posted by Strjock81:
Onarga, IL

Hey I'm from Ashkum.

I like the Casey's regular as it has no ethanol. And the Casey's around our area get there gas from the depot on Ill 49. I see them pull out of there all the time.

My wife and were travelling near Paxton a few years ago and stopped into a Casey's only to find gas at $5.00 per gallon (IIRC it was after 9/11...). We skipped that station as you could imagine. That was our first "experience" with Caseys, and our last.

Travelling near Paxton, I must assume you weren't out sightseeing! (unless of course, you are a big fan of relatively flat land, and miles upon miles of growing crops.) Or, this time of year, blowing snow!

Shoz,

I would assume that the gas, if coming from Ashkum, is probably pretty decent. I guess a good deal of it has to do with the add. package it has, which knowing Casey's, probably doesn't make it Top Tier by any stretch of the imagination! Stay out of Miss Karen's.
lol.gif

I have used both the regular 87 octane the 89 octane ethanol blend.

I like both and have had zero problems with them.

Rumor has it Casey's is owned by WalMart.
I used to get all my gas there only because of an excellent location. I have a Monte with a 3100. After a couple of months, I noticed a definite power loss and harder starting. I never had this in 80K miles so I changed to Conoco and got some Techron for a noticeable improvement. Before all of this, I used Techron as a preventative about every 5-6K, but never felt the need to do so, until I filled with Casey's swill. Now I go out of the way to patronize top tier gas stations in the Springfield MO area; Quick trip, Conoco, 66.

quote:

Originally posted by SHOZ:

quote:

Onarga, IL

Hey I'm from Ashkum.

I like the Casey's regular as it has no ethanol. And the Casey's around our area get there gas from the depot on Ill 49. I see them pull out of there all the time.

Small world. Paxton here.

I've never had trouble with Caseys gas in this area but I buy most of mine at BP/Amoco because I have one of their cards. Plus one of the local Amocos is the only station around that has premium with no alcohol...

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
My wife and were travelling near Paxton a few years ago and stopped into a Casey's only to find gas at $5.00 per gallon (IIRC it was after 9/11...). We skipped that station as you could imagine. That was our first "experience" with Caseys, and our last.

I'm from outside of Paxton. A few of the Caseys stores pulled that stunt and got slammed by the Il. Attorney General for it. I wasn't aware ours was one of them...

quote:

Travelling near Paxton, I must assume you weren't out sightseeing! (unless of course, you are a big fan of relatively flat land, and miles upon miles of growing crops.) Or, this time of year, blowing snow!

Shoz,

I would assume that the gas, if coming from Ashkum, is probably pretty decent. I guess a good deal of it has to do with the add. package it has, which knowing Casey's, probably doesn't make it Top Tier by any stretch of the imagination! Stay out of Miss Karen's.
lol.gif

And avoid the Buckley Library...
grin.gif

I went on a trip this weekend and stopped halfway to KC and bught gas at BP/Amoco. Their 89 octnae is really good. Noticed I had more power and could accelerate in higher gears or accelerate without downshifting.

Don't believe there is a Walmart/Casey's connection. Casey's General Stores is a separate company. Agree with you, though, that the best bet is to pay for Top Tier gasoline where it is availble and at virtually no price difference.

BTW, I grew up in Springfield and am a 1969 Central HS grad. My sister still lives in Rogersville and retired from the Springfield school district.

I worked in Paxton last spring summer and fall for crop production...Also work with a Paxtonian (?) at Gilman.

Hard to believe that many people around here are this obsessed with lubrication!

I have found that once we started using Casey's gas long term in our gasser vehicles, they started to run rougher over time, which may have had to do with the gas, or just with age. Hard to tell. Oddly, a dose of Neutra or Techron and a switch to BP, 66, or other good gas brand clears it up pretty much, except for our 93 Grand Cherokee 4.0 that's just an oil leaking beater with 190K on it. It now leaks a qt. of oil every 250 miles or so. Used to just need a qt. every fill up.
shocked.gif

offtopic.gif
One cool thing about Paxton is that Tom carries Schaeffer's stuff at the Napa...Neutra and Soy Shield. Only place around I can get it, made my wife stop by and get some the other day on her way home from Champaign. (They always told me to put a qt. of Lucas oil stabilizer in my PSD though when I still had it, and I listened, til I found this site! Never caused any problems though.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back