Is Power Steering fluid basically same as ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Power Steering fluid basically same as ATF?

I read somewhere that it would be cheaper to use ATF than PS fluid. I was thinking of using M1 ATF in my power steering.

Some cars spec PS fluid for their steering units. Other cars spec ATF. Some older cars carry the suggestion (based upon my readings in different forums) that although it was originally specced for ATF, that PS fluid be used because ATF can effect the seals.

I believe PS fluid is slightly more viscous, and ATF has a detergent package, while the PSF only has dispersants to ensure that aggregates dont form.

JMH

Read up on what your particular car / year require. There are a lot of different requirements out there, and they can change from year to year. You want to use the correct fluid for your car.

So as you have already been advised, depends on the car, and the year.

To answer your question, YES, P.S. fluid is basicly ATF. In a pinch, use it! it's sure better than nothing! It's probably BETTER than a lot of stuff labeled P.S. Fluid.

The only problem centers around the fact that ATF contains seal conditioners and detergents that MIGHT soften SOME power steering hoses. With most quality hydraulic hoses, this is NOT a problem.

My dad's 2000 Dakota came factory filled with power steering fluid. That winter he had some issues with stiff steering in extreme cold, and I found a TSB that was issued regarding this, and they recommended a complete P/S flush and refill with Mopar ATF+4. I did this, and it's worked perfectly ever since.

I think it's best to stick with PS fluid... The extra additives in ATF could be bad for PS seals. Not worth risking... I wanted to replace my PS fluid with M1 ATF but, it just doesn't seem to be a great idea anymore.

I saw some Valvoline SynPower PS fluid at Pepboys...anyone ever try that?

quote:

Originally posted by kevz:
I saw some Valvoline SynPower PS fluid at Pepboys...anyone ever try that?

I changed it in my wife's old car and my van with Synpower, they didn't seem any different. Fresh stuff is good anyway.

newb here! great forum guys.

anyhow '03 Nissan Maxima VQ3.5 60K Kilometers- want to exchange ps fluid with Amsoil ATF - any problems here? (no i don't have the manual - second owner)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back