Oil on dipstick smells a little like Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. I looked at the dipstick as I usually do every now and again and it smelled like gasoline. I know sometimes that happens but it was pretty apparent upon barely smelling it. Any cause for concern? Thanks

This is in the Honda

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I don't know what the deal is. Every used oil I smelled smelled a bit like gasoline. Am I alone?

Hahaha You grew up with carburetors !!

I don't think a honda odyssey is DI. To answer your question, is the oil level rising? If it is you have fuel in the oil.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I don't think a honda odyssey is DI. To answer your question, is the oil level rising? If it is you have fuel in the oil.

No it is not rising. It's been the exact same.

Mazda 0w20 smells really strongly of fuel anyways. At least according to my tech, it smells like really clean oil ( which i guess to my nose smells like gasoline ).

Originally Posted By: asharris7
I just changed my oil about 3 weeks ago. I looked at the dipstick as I usually do every now and again and it smelled like gasoline. I know sometimes that happens but it was pretty apparent upon barely smelling it. Any cause for concern? Thanks

This is in the Honda

A UOA is the only way to tell. But sample it after the vehicle has been fully warmed up and driven say 30 minutes.

Has your mileage changed?

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: asharris7

This is in the Honda

A UOA is the only way to tell. But sample it after the vehicle has been fully warmed up and driven say 30 minutes.

Has your mileage changed?

Only has 500 miles on the new oil.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Mazda 0w20 smells really strongly of fuel anyways. At least according to my tech, it smells like really clean oil ( which i guess to my nose smells like gasoline ).

Yeah I thought it smelled like Nail polish when it was in the bottle.

Drive in cold weather 1km. Let oil cool off and allow gasoline to rise to the top of the crank case.

Pull out the dipstick slowly, and with no wind take a lighter and try to light the end of the dipstick. If it ignites you have bad fuel dilution.

If it doesn't light you are pretty much ok.

BTW, you do not have a Direct Injected (DI) engine. You do have VCM on your Honda V6. Stands for Variable Cylinder Management. Turns your 6 into a 4 cyl when there is light load. Various reports suggest this leading to plug fouling and unburnt deposits. Conservative oci is recommended.

Originally Posted By: bourne
BTW, you do not have a Direct Injected (DI) engine. You do have VCM on your Honda V6. Stands for Variable Cylinder Management. Turns your 6 into a 4 cyl when there is light load. Various reports suggest this leading to plug fouling and unburnt deposits. Conservative oci is recommended.

Thanks. Yes I know about the VCM problems and I hope to avoid it by doing around 6k-7k OCI. Maybe 5k.

If it is REALLY bad it will light or show an increase.
But you can have fuel in your oil without these symptoms, for sure.
If you smell it, it is there.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I don't know what the deal is. Every used oil I smelled smelled a bit like gasoline. Am I alone?

No, you're not alone. With the exception of outdoor power equipment(OPE) such as lawnmower/snowblower, in over 40 years I have never owned a vehicle that the oil didn't have some fuel smell. Regardless of Carb or EFI, short trips or long hiwy miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Falken
Drive in cold weather 1km. Let oil cool off and allow gasoline to rise to the top of the crank case.

Pull out the dipstick slowly, and with no wind take a lighter and try to light the end of the dipstick. If it ignites you have bad fuel dilution.

If it doesn't light you are pretty much ok.

what...the....[censored]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back