what is the best fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 06 hyindai sonata 2.4 with 162,000 miles just changed my oil yesterday so want to run a fuel injector cleaber. I normally use chevron techron the concentrate version. Is what im using superior or is there something better.

What about B12 chemtool

Chevron Techron Concentrate Fuel System Cleaner
Redline LS-1
Gumout Regane Complete Fuel System Cleaner

= ALL HAVE HIGH PEA CONCENTRATIONS FOR THE BEST CLEANING WITHOUT LEAVING ANY OF ITS OWN DETERGENT RESIDUE BEHIND.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Redline LS-1

= ALL HAVE HIGH PEA CONCENTRATIONS FOR THE BEST CLEANING WITHOUT LEAVING ANY OF ITS OWN DETERGENT RESIDUE BEHIND.

Redline SI-1 would be my choice, though the BOGO deals on Techron make it pretty tough to beat.

for ported FI types of fuel injectors (configuration), the only proven type of FI cleaner is PEA (polyetheramines). In chevron's brand, it's techron; in Shell's vague terminology, it's their nitrogen-enhanced additive.

Redline also has PEA based FI cleaner available.

I typically chose to do FI (in the form of fuel-additive in a full tank of gas) right before an oil change, not right after (don't want the cylinder washoffs to contaminate the motor oil in my crankcase).

I also don't believe in those "jack of all trades" type additives, for they are not proven to possess cleaning ability for injectors (ported type).

As for DI type of engines, dunno how effective PEA works and I have a strong believe that the chemists and scientists are actively working on a new additive for DI gasoline engines.

Q.

Port injection is called so because the fuel is injected into the intake port, upstream of the intake valves. Cleaners work well here because they clean the injector nozzle AND the intake valves, since the fuel/air/cleaner mixture "washes" over the intake valves as it is being sucked (or blown in a super-charged application) into the engine.

Direct injection is called so because fuel is injected directly into the cylinder. The issue with this, at least early on, has been that recirculated PCV moisture and oil vapor builds up on the intake valves, since no fuel washes over the valves to keep them clean; thusly, adding a cleaner would have no affect.

I honestly don't know how cleaners affect variable-valve-timing-type EGR systems, but I wouldn't bet on a cleaner maintaining my valves clean in a DI application.

IMO, use FI cleaner when ever. I don't see any benefit to waiting until just before an oil change, since most people don't have too much fuel dilution, let alone cylinder washoff. Also, would fuel injector cleaners cause faster degradation of the oil than regular fuel?

Redline LS-1

Add Gumout High Mileage and Gumout All in One

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Redline LS-1

Add Gumout High Mileage and Gumout All in One

Agree.

Has anyone verified that the HM & AIO Gumout products really do have PEA in a good quantity?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Has anyone verified that the HM & AIO Gumout products really do have PEA in a good quantity?

I recently gave the HM one the smell test, and it stunk of fish to high heaven, for what that's worth. I believe that is the odour of PEA.

Originally Posted By: Quest
in Shell's vague terminology, it's their nitrogen-enhanced additive.
Q.

Is there documentation to substantiate this? I've never seen anything about Shell having PEA in their fuel.

3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner has the highest PEA concentration of the cleaners.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner has the highest PEA concentration of the cleaners.

Yep I think it is as high as 60%!

Have you found a brick and mortar parts store that actually carries this product ???

The only place I have found it is on the internet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikered30

Yep I think it is as high as 60%!

Have you found a brick and mortar parts store that actually carries this product ???

The only place I have found it is on the internet.

I got it off of amazon a while ago, when it was cheaper. I only ever saw it online. I saw the weaker formula at local NAPA, which is the one they sell in the DIY kit.

On a dollar for dollar basis, it's hard to beat Berryman's B12 Chemtool. It's mostly Isopropynol and Methanol, Toluene, Acetone...

No PEA that I know of, but it does work fairly well.

But if you are willing to spend a little more, I like Redline SI-1.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
On a dollar for dollar basis, it's hard to beat Berryman's B12 Chemtool. It's mostly Isopropynol and Methanol, Toluene, Acetone...

Those bolded solvents are extremely harsh on some fuel system components like rubber seals and filter elements.

If you use this product I would make sure to follow the instructions carefully so that the solvents are reasonably well diluted.

Your best bet is to simply use one of the SAE proven PEA cleaners mentioned earlier, PEA is the MOST effective carbon cleaner in fuel systems and most importantly PEA will NOT damage any fuel system components even if you use a bit too much. Harmless to rubber and plastics.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Those bolded solvents are extremely harsh on some fuel system components like rubber seals and filter elements.

If you use this product I would make sure to follow the instructions carefully so that the solvents are reasonably well diluted.

Your best bet is to simply use one of the SAE proven PEA cleaners mentioned earlier, PEA is the MOST effective carbon cleaner in fuel systems and most importantly PEA will NOT damage any fuel system components even if you use a bit too much. Harmless to rubber and plastics.

Yes, they can be harsh on fuel system components. But they are good solvents. They do clean well. Compared to the other low priced fuel treatments (ie:STP mostly kerosene) it works quite well (unless B12 got the internet notariety that SeaFoam got and jacked the price 3X like SeaFoam did. Then it, like SeaFoam, is too expensive for what it is)

When you are mixing a 16oz can with 15-20 gallons of fuel, I'm not too terribly worried about the methanol content. It's still way less than 1%. If you are planning on filling the fuel filter with B12 and forcing it through the injectors with the pump? Yeah, that concentration will likely have some negative effects.

Gumout Regane High Milage for me.

It's $5.17 at Walmart. My truck is an oil burner. I have to change the plug in cylinder #1 all the time, because it gets fouled.

I usually buy three bottles of Regane HM every 3-5k miles. Two bottles go in right away with a full tank. Run it down to 1/4 tank, fill up with another bottle.

I just did this cycle this weekend. My truck had a distinctive miss earlier last week, which always means my plug is fouled in #1. After this weekend, I pulled it last night, and it was CLEAN. No [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back