Cleaning Polymer Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Recently purchase a Ruger LCR in .357 Mag. Nice shooting compact 5-shot revolver. Put Crimson Trace laser grips on it ... awesome shooting with a laser sight. First gun I've put laser grips on.

Anyway, this is the first polymer gun I've owned and was wondering what you guys are using for cleaner & lube to maintain your polymer guns. Will regular gun oil really hurt it. These gun oils are usually in a plastic container, so would think they are plastic safe. I don't plan on using anything harsh on the gun, except maybe to clean the bore and cylinder.

The only thing that can hurt the polymer frame is if you boil it.
Seriously.
I've read up just to see what they did to prove to Governments round the globe that it would work and that's about the only down side of plastics in a handgun frame.

Any oils that you would traditionally use would work fine.
I'd be careful with any carb or brake cleaner near any of the parkerizing or finished work. I've seen guys wipe the side of their new firearm off before. But that goes for any blued, painted or otherwise finished surface, even on a revolver.
But for inside the barrel, sure.

The powers that be have been playing with plastics in pistol frames for at least 30 years.

It's difficult to hurt them.

Thanks for the info Dave. Yeah, the manual says to use "polymer safe cleaners and lubricating oils". Makes it sound like you needs something special just for the polymer. I can see if the cleaner was super harsh (ie, brake cleaner, etc) it might damage the plastic.

Good to know that regular oil/lube is safe for the polymer. Sounds like I have to be a little careful with cleaners/solvents thought.

I just want to clean off the powder burns off the outside of the gun. Wondering if simply using some Windex on a soft cloth would do the job. Windex isn't very harsh.

I have cleaned my Glocks with a standard Hoppes #9 pistol cleaning kit forever. The light oil is perfect for semis that don't need much oil and I have often rubbed it into the polymer frame to clean and shine it. Never had an issue.

Some plastics can be damaged by the use of harsh cleaners. I know one fellow that melted his Mossy 500 triggerguard when he used carb cleaner on it. I would think that the Ruger has more solvent resilient plastic, but they probably put the warning on it to cover their butts against the dumb out there.

Use gun specific products and you should be okay.

I've used chlorinated brake cleaner on Glocks and XD's without issue, but I've also seen cheap plastic grips melt from the same thing.

I would bet that the plastic on the gun is chemically resistant and you could use just about any gun lube that you like.

Windex has ammonia in it so I don't think I'd want it for gun use.

Ballistol and froglube are both excellent for cleaning and conditioning plastic. Most any CLP type product will work just fine though. There is no need to use bore solvents on plastics, the dirt and grime usually just wipes right off anyways.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I don't know about a plastic revolver, but I have been cleaning my Glock with dish soap and warm water.

Put it in the dish washer and see what happens.

I'm betting the polymer on the Ruger LCR (5-shot revolver) is the same formula they use in the Ruger autos. I wouldn't put the LCR in the dishwasher though ... still has metal parts in the guts, and the top half of the frame is still stainless steel with a matt black coating (not blued). Plus, revolvers aren't easy to stip down, nor would you want to.

I think I'll just use a damp soft cloth on the outside ... I just want to remove the powder residue on the outer surface from firing. The rest of parts needing cleaning (cylinder & barrel) are steel, so no issues there.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I've got some Remington "Rem Oil" ... but it says nothing about being plastic safe. Says on the can to wipe excess of plastic parts ... so sounds like I should avoid using this. I know this is not a harsh cleaner/lube, as I've used it on every gun I have.

They sell Remoil in plastic bottles so I don't think it will hurt gun plastic.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I've got some Remington "Rem Oil" ... but it says nothing about being plastic safe. Says on the can to wipe excess of plastic parts ... so sounds like I should avoid using this. I know this is not a harsh cleaner/lube, as I've used it on every gun I have.

They sell Remoil in plastic bottles so I don't think it will hurt gun plastic.

True it probably just attracts dirt and grime. But like metal alloys, not all plastics are created equal. (Think Bakelite versus zytel)

If you really are putting pistols in the dish washer just make sure they are on the TOP RACK.

Seriously, Boiling water, or near boiling water, will weaken the plastic and cause it to warp.

It will probably still function, as the slide runs on steel rails, but you might have a hard time inserting and removing magazines.

I make a version of "Ed's Red" out of Berryman B-12 fuel system cleaner and ATF. It hasn't harmed any of the plastic or rubber parts of any of my guns. If you are concerned about exposure to all of these solvents; some here (and on other forums) advocate using Simple Green as a cleaner. I'll probably try it on my stainless gun the next time I go to the range. When I do, I'll post my experiences.

Most plastics used in gun parts are polyamide (Nylon). Nylon is extremely chemical resistant and used extensively in automotive engines. It will stand up to acetone, MEK, toluene, gasoline... It doesn't do well with alcohol and phenols.

Recently purchase a Ruger LCR in .357 Mag. Nice shooting compact 5-shot revolver. Put Crimson Trace laser grips on it ... awesome shooting with a laser sight. First gun I've put laser grips on.

Anyway, this is the first polymer gun I've owned and was wondering what you guys are using for cleaner & lube to maintain your polymer guns. Will regular gun oil really hurt it. These gun oils are usually in a plastic container, so would think they are plastic safe. I don't plan on using anything harsh on the gun, except maybe to clean the bore and cylinder.

Zee0Six,

I use a product for years called "Prolix". Check it out as it's been my favorite for years! It won't harm your polymer pistol in anyway. I have many polymer pistols and never had any issues using this rpoduct nor conventional oils as well.

Durango

I use Wal-Mart SuperTech engine cleaner and brake cleaner and have done this for the past 10 years or so. After the cleaning, I spray down a light coating of K&N filer oil spray. I let it sit for a few minutes and wipe dry. Sounds goofy as heck but it works for me. I have done this on every polymer handgun I own.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Most plastics used in gun parts are polyamide (Nylon). Nylon is extremely chemical resistant and used extensively in automotive engines. It will stand up to acetone, MEK, toluene, gasoline... It doesn't do well with alcohol and phenols.

Some gasoline in the US is 10% alcohol. It doesn't seem to effect the plastic.

Originally Posted By: Loobed
Originally Posted By: tom slick

Some gasoline in the US is 10% alcohol. It doesn't seem to effect the plastic.

True, but you may not want to soak your Nylon parts in denatured alcohol for days on end. Also, current fuel system plastics are engineered for use with ethanol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back