Favorite NASCAR makes/models of all-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are my favorite NASCAR race cars of all time. The list is NOT in order of ranking...

1. Chrysler wing cars - '69 Dodge Charger Daytona and '70 Plymouth Superbird

2. 1971-74 Dodge Charger - The most iconic one being Richard's #43 STP Dodge that he raced from '72 to '77.

3. 1968-69 Ford Torino (Talladega) and Mercury Cyclone (Spoiler) - Cale Yarborough won the '68 Daytona 500 in a Cyclone while Pearson got two championships with these cars.

4. 1971 Mercury Cyclone - Famous car for Pearson and the Wood Brothers (the #21 Purolator car)

5. 1973-77 Chevy Malibu/Laguna and Monte Carlo - Helped "Buffet Benny" Parsons and Cale to win races and championships. DW had success with them too. The '75-'76 Lagunas were probably the best version. Plus, did you know Richard Petty won his 7th championship in '79 driving a '77 Monte Carlo?

6. 1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass S/442 - Fastest cars from 1978-1980 after the Laguna was banned. Cale got a title with it and Richard the '79 Daytona 500.

7. 1981 to 1983 Buick Regal - The fastest cars when NASCAR downsized the cars at the time. Two titles for DW in the #11 Mountain Dew/Junior Johnson car and one for Bobby Allison in the #22 Miller car

8. 1983-89 Chevy Monte Carlo SS - DW's #11 Budweiser car, Earnhardt's Wrangler and GM Goodwrench #3, Terry Labonte's #44 Piedmont car, amongst others.

9. 1989 to 1994 Chevy Lumina - The success for Dale, DW and Terry Labonte (continued on with the '95-'99 Monte Carlo)

10. 1989 to 1997 Ford Thunderbird - Davey Allison, Bill Elliott and Alan Kulwicki's dramatic 1992 championship win.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mercuryblues

7. 1981 to 1983 Buick Regal - The fastest cars when NASCAR downsized the cars at the time. Two titles for DW in the #11 Mountain Dew/Junior Johnson car and one for Bobby Allison in the #22 Miller car

Loved those cars, that was back when buick made cool looking cars, unlike the current 5:00 buffet mobiles and senile golf buicks of today.

Last edited:
Pettys iconic Dodge Charger
The winged Daytona/Superbird
the 77 Cutlass of Cale Yarborough
the 81-up Buick Regal
and lastly the "proposed" 2013 Charger that will never take place.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
...and lastly the "proposed" 2013 Charger that will never take place.

cry.gif
<- me when Dodge pulled out...

Originally Posted By: earlyre

cry.gif
div>

There's hints that Dodge could return back in 2014, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet. Maybe they need to get things in order first.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. The "Mello Yello" one.

I believe you're thinking about the #51 Mello Yello Chevy Lumina that they used in Days of Thunder. Back then the Luminas and Cutlass Supremes could be confused for one another sometimes. Kyle Petty had the other Mello Yello car in the early 90s and that was the #42 Pontiac Grand Prix.

It's ironic how you mention a Mello Yello Cutlass, because up at Lee Speedway in Epping NH, they run a division called the "Ironman". The only cars allowed are front-wheel-drive and the engine can't be larger than a V6. (Even some cars like SHOs and Cavalier Z24s aren't allowed) Anyhow, there is someone that races a #51 Mello Yello Days of Thunder tribute car and that car is a '88-'96 Cutlass Supreme.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
My favorite
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Yep, Awesome Bill from Dawsonville! I remember how he qualified one of those particular T-Birds on the pole at Talladega with a speed of almost 213 MPH. (212.809 to be exact, the all-time NASCAR qualifying record.) I remember watching the race live that day and seeing Bobby Allison nearly going into the stands. The famous crash where he cut a tire from a piece of his blown engine, spun and went airborne.

Originally Posted By: earlyre

cry.gif
div>

There's hints that Dodge could return back in 2014, so I wouldn't lose hope just yet. Maybe they need to get things in order first.

Finding a team or two that are willing to drive them is most helpful.

Quote:
3. 1968-69 Ford Torino (Talladega) and Mercury Cyclone (Spoiler) - Cale Yarborough won the '68 Daytona 500 in a Cyclone while Pearson got two championships with these cars.

1st for me... I have a '69 Fairlane Cobra fastback that is the basis for the long nose Talladega & I owned a Red & White CYS Spoiler II in the late 70s(the II has a long nose like the Talladega)...

2nd, '87-'88 T-Bird and I'm still a Bill Elliot fan, no matter what he drives... Yeah it hurt a bit rooting for him in the #50 Walmart Chevy back in July at Datona but Turner Motor Sports builds good cars...... I also own a '88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe...

My favorite
thumbsup2.gif

Yep, Awesome Bill from Dawsonville! I remember how he qualified one of those particular T-Birds on the pole at Talladega with a speed of almost 213 MPH. (212.809 to be exact, the all-time NASCAR qualifying record.) I remember watching the race live that day and seeing Bobby Allison nearly going into the stands. The famous crash where he cut a tire from a piece of his blown engine, spun and went airborne.

Exactly! and the reason for the Resrticter plates
31.gif

My favorite
thumbsup2.gif

In the previous Talladega race , he came back from TWO laps down to win , WITHOUT yellows ,or " lucky dog " silliness. That was one bad ride!

if anybody has read the updates on this car, the 48 and 24 crews went into the halloffame to look it over and see just how the heck it went to darn fast. finally they got a tape measure on it and found out that ol' ernie was so super smart that he made the car narrower than the others! so it fits the template of the day nose to tail but there wasnt a template door to door. his was a nice skinny car!

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There are two kinds of racers in NASCAR:

Cheaters and Losers.

didn't ol Smokey Yunick says something like that?

but nowadays its more like there are Cheaters and those that didnt get caught.

The biggest cheater
lol.gif

+1. I know that cheating has been part of NASCAR racing for a very long time, but I don't think there's been anyone worse than the 48 team. Plus, JJ and Chad Knaus have that air of arrogance which makes them even more (to say the least) annoying.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
There are two kinds of racers in NASCAR:

Cheaters and Losers.

didn't ol Smokey Yunick says something like that?

but nowadays its more like there are Cheaters and those that didnt get caught.

Yes, I think he said "We didn't call it cheating, we called it gettin' competitive".

nascar, no longer stock car racing since bringing in cars not being built buy the manufacturer, front wheel cars running rear wheel when none are built. what ever happened to run what you build is what is the demise of the nascar fan base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back