Oil choice for an (N18 engine) Mini Cooper S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be the owner of a new Mini Cooper S in a few weeks, and can't seem to find a consistent oil recommendation for it. I've used Red line oils in my last two cars (5w20 in a Ford Fiesta and 5w40 in an FSI GTI) and had great results with them. I also used Motul X-Cess in my GTI and had great luck with it.

I've seen a wide spread of conflicting suggestions ranging from only using the (castrol? 5w30) Mini oil, to use Mobil 1 0w40, to use Red line in a variety of grades. I see tons of reports of oil consumption issues, and don't want to make the wrong choice.

Red line 5w30 or 0w30 seem like good choices, as do the Motul X-series oils in Xw30 and Xw40 weights. Motul 300v 5w40 may even be a good choice . I'm thinking probably not Red line 5w40, since it is nearly a 50 weight. Can I really go wrong with any of those oils in this engine? They all seem like great candidates for a relatively HP dense turbocharged engine that will see many spirited miles, roughly 50% of which on the highway. I'll probably lean toward 5-10k OCIs based on UOA results, starting with an initial change at 1k or so, but I think any of those would probably be up for that task.

--Matt

Last edited:
All you need is an oil that meets BMW LL-01. Mobil 1 0w-40 is a great oil AND it meets that spec. Neither Redline or Motul market oils that are LL-01 certified.

Good point. I've not had a car under warranty that calls for such a specific oil spec in a while. I've never been impressed with that particular oil. I've tried it in all of the last 4 VWs I've owned and had increased consumption with it every time. I certainly won't be using it in this one. Motul X-Cess 8100 covers LL-01. Perhaps I had best stick with it while under warranty. I had great results with it in my GTI, even in spite of its fuel dilution issues. Specific LL-04 indicates that it covers LL-01 too, but they seem to recommend against it in the US because of the sulfur levels in our fuels.

--Matt

Last edited:
It looks like there is a Motul Specific LL-01 as well. Seems a little less available though.

--Matt

Looks like GC is LL-01 certified as well. I'm assuming X-Cess 8100 is a bit more stout though, eh?

--Matt

Didn't realize Motul had approvals for major specs.

If the Motul isn't going to break the bank, go ahead I suppose. GC would certainly be cheaper if you could find it on sale.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Didn't realize Motul had approvals for major specs.

If the Motul isn't going to break the bank, go ahead I suppose. GC would certainly be cheaper if you could find it on sale.

They generally do cover the German specs. Looks like I found a winner
smile.gif

--Matt

Dumped the factory fill today at 3749 miles and poured in the X-Cess 8100 today. Nothing major to report other than the bloody loud clatter that this prince engine makes seeming a bit less severe. I'll probably send the FF out to get analyzed, and will likely change this out when the OBC complains at the 10k mark.

--Matt

Hopefully Mini has the carbon buildup issue licked with the new N18 engine. There is a big issue with that on the N14 engine.

Also, when you take it in for service, have them check the bolt for the tensioner. On some N14 engines, the bolt would loosen by itself necessitating replacement of the tensioner, and usually the timing chain. My Mini did that. Again, hopefully solved with the N18 engine.

My Mini did very well on Mobil1 0W40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Hopefully Mini has the carbon buildup issue licked with the new N18 engine. There is a big issue with that on the N14 engine.

Also, when you take it in for service, have them check the bolt for the tensioner. On some N14 engines, the bolt would loosen by itself necessitating replacement of the tensioner, and usually the timing chain. My Mini did that. Again, hopefully solved with the N18 engine.

My Mini did very well on Mobil1 0W40.

Let's hope. I'm considering adding an OCC, but am holding out for higher mileage results from other people before deciding. I'm not planning on taking this car in for any services. I don't trust any strangers at dealerships as much as I do myself
smile.gif
I've had so much trouble with dealer service depts in the past that I think I may be off them for life, even if they do throw me 3 free oil changes during the first 30k miles.

I hadn't read about the reformulation of M1 0w-40 when I initially responded, but the more I read about it the more I'm thinking it'll replace this Motul when the time comes. It seems like they've got quite a stellar oil nowadays, carrying some pretty serious manufacturer specs.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back