How To Remove Rain-X From Windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not clean the windshield and completely remove the smears. It will not wipe clean. Tried straight water like the bottle says, rubbing alcohol, and vinegar. Newspaper, paper toels, shop towels, and rags.

All I get are streaks.

There's something else like oil on the windshield. The streaks aren't from the Rain-X.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I can not clean the windshield and completely remove the smears. It will not wipe clean. Tried straight water like the bottle says, rubbing alcohol, and vinegar. Newspaper, paper toels, shop towels, and rags.

All I get are streaks.

I ran into this when using the treated RainX wipes recently. It was 50 degrees so it was warm enough but it never seemed to dry properly and like you I could NOT stop the smears and streaks. I would think it was good and then I would go drive and see more. Using the washer fluid made it worse( like salt in the winter ).

Taking my vehicle through the touchless car wash( selected premium wash ), and cleaning the wiper blades with Sprayway, seemed to remove it for me.

Last edited:
The only thing I have found to successfully remove Rain-X is Permatex GS8 Auto Glass Stripper. I ordered mine from ACE Hardware online and picked it up in-store. 1 or 2 applications of this stuff did a good job removing Rain-X, while also cleaning the windshield of any dirt, debris, etc. Previous to the GS8, I also tried (unsuccessfully) Dawn dish soap, isopropyl alcohol, and a dish sponge with Comet. Some of these helped a tiny bit, but only minimally. Do a google search for the GS8 stuff. IIRC it was less than $10, and does a great job cleaning glass, including the removal of Rain-X. Maybe try clay-barring your windshield? I know Rain-X bonds to glass, so maybe the friction of the clay bar would aid in the removal, but this is only speculation. Can't hurt to try if you have a clay bar lying around.

Use Aquapel next time - does not streak.

A short term fix is to just use Rain X again now over your streaks. You will need to repeat about every 2 weeks.

While on topic, I like to use the rain-x additive instead of the actual wipes or spray. Still somewhat, whithout the streaks. It's like an in-between nothing and rain-x.

It also unclogged my washer nozle.

A fine or medium clay bar will remove rain-x and any built-up wax, sealant, "treatments" or sap on the windshield with ease. I used to go through tons of washer fluid because I was always cleaning my windshield due to glare from the slightest dust built-up. After clay bar-ing the windshield, I found that the glare/gloss was caused by a built-up of wax and rain-x...and now the windshield feels dry & squeaky clean.

I imagine a solvent containing some sort of ether will take it off. Or maybe acetone or paint thinner. Just don't get it on your paint.

Last edited:
Try a reapplication.

Clean the window well. Dry it thoroughly.

I apply in an up/down, then an side to side, then a 'round and 'round fashion. Not a speck of windshield gets missed.

If your window wasn't cleaned before the first application it might have some dirt in the application. You might have missed portions.

Once the Rain-X has dried well, wipe it off with a WET towel. Then buff out the rest with a DRY towel.

If that doesn't get your window properly Rain-X'd, nothing will. I've never had your problem so I wouldn't know the first thing about removal. But a new application would likely act like a solvent to the first and clear up anyTHING that might have been in the first batch.

IMO.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I imagine a solvent containing some sort of ether will take it off. Or maybe acetone or paint thinner. Just don't get it on your paint.

Don't do this. Bad idea. Forget this was ever posted.

Originally Posted By: user52165
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

Don't do this. Bad idea. Forget this was ever posted.

Why's that?

Looks like No Touch GS8 Auto Glass Striper is no linger available.
You can read the reviews at Amazon but you can’t buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back