Chevy HHR Stuck Vavle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been having a rough idle and last couple of days a code of cylinder # 1 misfire. Try changing coil and plug and injector no luck. Took in to dealership and they say stuck valve. Its a 2009 with 64000 miles. I have taken great care of it.

What could cause a stuck valve on such a low mileage car? Bad gas? Fuel additives?

and what was their conclusion on fixing it? it could be any number of root causes.

In the early 80's GM had some sort of dual throttle body injection, i forget the name of it but in the Z28 they had water ingress issues through the hood.
On cars that sat for a few weeks some had stuck intake valves when returned to service.

GM's fix was a seal kit for the hood to stop the water and pouring GM top engine cleaner down the throttle bodies with the engine running then turn it off and let it sit overnight.

This freed up the stuck valve(s). It worked.
I would probably try pouring a small amount of MMO down it running and shut it off then leave it overnight.
It should have the same effect.

I have had Chevy's, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, all have had some kinda of problem. Just disappointed.

Dealership says only 50 psi in cyl # 1.

I don't trust them, cars runs great except for rough idle, no loss of power or fuel mileage.

Don't make sense to me.

Last edited:
I had a CEL on my Ecotec which was caused by the gap on one spark plug being too wide. I replaced all 4 and gapped them to the revised 43mm and no more CEL.
The Ecotec is a very good engine so I'm surprised at the dealers diagnosis....I would try the MM overnight soak and go from there...get another opinion too....

50 PSI would probably have a constant misfire that pretty low.
Do your own test its easy enough.
If its just a sticky valve (which i suspect at this mileage) the MMO down the intake should free it up alright.

Edit: I have the feeling that will want to do a head on this engine and cash in on a warranty repair.
Its highly possible they will try the lubricant down the intake first anyway and bill for the complete job even if it works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Warranty does not make me feel better. So in two years I have to go thought this again?

Try a different dealer and ask for the service manager since the advisors want to upsell you for the commision. Of course a warranty should make you feel better.

you still havent said what the mechanic said to fix the issue or his plan. idle speculation and conjecture is just that, conjecture.

Warranty does not make me feel better. So in two years I have to go thought this again?

The warranty should make you feel better since it will save you a lot of $$$ if you really do have engine issues...... however, I doubt that you do...

This isn't the first time I've heard about something like this...and oddly enough it was also on an HHR. When the head was pulled, it had a burnt exhaust valve. I believe the cause was that cylinder running too lean, likely from a slightly plugged injector.

No updates yet. Last thing service said was that we may never know the cause. This to me is unacceptable.

On the 2.2L and 2.4L Ecotec in Cobalt and HHR's, fuel injector failure is common. I think though that the injectors fail slowly causing cylinders to run lean and if the problem isn't caught in the early stages then valve damage can result. There are other cases of this on the net. I personally had an 06 HHR that started having a rough idle and eventually the check engine did illuminate. My advice is if you replace one injector on this engine, do all four becuase they will all be bad eventually.

Just found out it’s a burnt exhaust valve. Head carboned up pretty bad. I don't understand why because it’s mostly highway miles. Service advisor recommends head cleaning by machine every year to avoid this. I think it’s just bad luck and bad gasoline quality.

Service advisor recommends head cleaning by machine every year to avoid this.

find another service advisor.

What exactly is meant by "a stuck valve?"

How is it "stuck?" As in the lifter cannot open it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back