Nissan Factory fill 2013 Versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up a new commuter car last night, grabbed a little Nissan Versa with the 1.6l engine. Anyone know what the factory fill nissan oil is? Nissan manual still states 3 months or 3500miles for OCI which with todays standards that seems awful short.

I know for warranty purposes I should stick with the dealer stuff but I'd like to know whats being used and whats in there now.

Are you sure it's not 3mo/3750miles? That was a Nissan severe service recommendation for years.

I recall my 2001 Sentra 1.8L having something like a 3.7qt sump.

Joel

Last edited:
I suspect your new Versa was made in Aguascalientes or Cuernavaca. Probably has whatever GF-5 that was cheapest by the tanker load. Might be a good idea to change it out at a 1000 miles for something better. Nissan's lubrication partner here in Mexico is Roshfrans, they're okay but not great. Nissan Mexicana's attitude about oil is that whatever barely meets some obsolete spec is good enough. The service oil they sell here at the dealers is SL rated 20w50 made by Roshfrans in a Nissan branded plastic bag.

I dumped my 2007 Frontier oil at just over 1000 miles when I bought it new and refilled with Mobil 1 5W-30 which it has used ever since. Original oil was probably not Mexican as the truck was made in Tennessee.

The Smyrna, Tennessee Nissan Plant uses Shell Oil Products as Factory Fill. Example: Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5W-30, per Joey of Nissan Customer Service. The engine, came from the Mexican Plant, was built by Japanese workers then shipped to Smyrna to be put into my Frontier. The Factory Fill was Texaco's brand of 5W-30 Havoline. Joey, of Nissan Customer Service, would not send me the information by letter he just told me verbally over the phone. Like it was super secret info. LOL

The choices of oil for my Frontier, in order of preference, by Nissan: API Certified SG/SH Oil GF-1/GF-2 or better 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40 Conventional, Syn Blend, or Synthetic Motor Oil. 3750 mile/3 month intervals.

The Nissan dealer where I bought my Frontier, new, now uses Mobil Oil Products. The dealer switched from Valvoline this year.

I don't know whats factory fill but my Nissan dealer uses Pennzoil products. I currently am using Valvoline products. I would use any top shelf conventional in 5w-30 and happily motor on along. I know this isn't an awnser for your question but Nissan I4 engines are pretty easy to please hope it helps.

We have the 2013 Altima and the intervals according to the manual are either 3 months/3750 or 6 months/7500 depending on your driving habits. I dumped the factory fill at 2000 miles. replaced with the dealers Castrol Bulk. Planning on going for 3k and then switching to synthetic. Just picked up some Napa Synthetic on sale. Planning on going 5K with that oil.

Last edited:
The one thing I do find interesting with the new Altima is that the manual asks for either 0w20 or 5w30 conventional. Wouldn't it make more sense to go 0w20 or 5w20 conventional?

Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
The one thing I do find interesting with the new Altima is that the manual asks for either 0w20 or 5w30 conventional. Wouldn't it make more sense to go 0w20 or 5w20 conventional?

Misprint possibly? I would have to agree with you.

Small sump and probably a little hard on oil, I'd follow their advise on the OCI. I'd also dump the FF in 1000 miles or less.
27.gif
JMO

I have read about how some people decide to dump the Factory Fill oil before the suggested manufacturers' miles or months time to change it during the warranty period. I know that whatever vehicle was bought now belongs to that individual and the person has the right to change the oil, before the first suggested time to change it, it is their money. The manufacturer has had a lot of experience with each motor and those engineers know more about its' operating specifications and so the correct weight oil is put into the motor before it leaves the factory so that it will operate properly for many productive years as long as the owner follows the suggested maintenance period miles or time. When my vehicle was under warranty I maintained it as the Owners' Manual stated until the warranty period was over.

In my humble opinion: It is a waste of time and money to dump it so early. I suppose peace of mind on the individuals' part is more important than the time and money wasted.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA

Misprint possibly? I would have to agree with you.

I agree, a misprint.

Originally Posted By: Mustang2008Z

In my humble opinion: It is a waste of time and money to dump it so early. I suppose peace of mind on the individuals' part is more important than the time and money wasted.

I agree ESPECIALLY during the warranty period.

If the manufacturer recommends 3750 intervals stay with that until the warranty is over.

NO REASON whatsoever to dump that oil early at all. Any debris is caught by the oil filter, so no worries.

I've heard that Nissan can be very stingy about honoring warranties as well so follow the manufacturer recommendations to the letter.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I've heard that Nissan can be very stingy about honoring warranties as well so follow the manufacturer recommendations to the letter.

In fairness, the Nissan and Infiniti manuals that I have read to not have any prohibition or warning against changing early. In any case, it's quite conceivable to run into the three month limit without hitting the 3750 miles. It has happened to me.

You guys are correct on the factory recommended OCI, it is 3 mos or 3750miles, my mistake.

Anyway, since I'm not sure whats in that sump now and being that it was built in Mexico I'm worried about what cardenio says being that he sounds pretty familiar with NMCO mexican faclities. I think I may just take it to 1000 miles and dump it for either some Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum and call it a day.

Yes, the 2013 versa gets super mileage, I'm averaging 35mpg right now with mixed driving and being that its not even broke in yet I expect it to get better. Not the most powerful thing thats for sure but I got it for my 110 mile/day commute and I get the other toys out when I need speed.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I think I may just take it to 1000 miles and dump it for either some Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum and call it a day.

Well, you're getting better mileage than I do in my G.
wink.gif
In any case, I would suggest that a conventional would do quite fine for the Nissan short intervals, but either M1 or PP would work admirably well, too. I'm not going to switch from PYB until at least after the warranty expires.

3,500 miles sounds about right. Every engine is different. Some engines are capable of going 7,000 miles between services. The owner's manual should also say what kind of oil to use. Most Nissans only require that oil is certified by the API and that it's 5W-30. You don't have to buy the dealer's oil to maintain your warranty.
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
I just picked up a new commuter car last night, grabbed a little Nissan Versa with the 1.6l engine. Anyone know what the factory fill nissan oil is? Nissan manual still states 3 months or 3500miles for OCI which with todays standards that seems awful short.

I know for warranty purposes I should stick with the dealer stuff but I'd like to know whats being used and whats in there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back