What Dexron III fluid do you recommed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I know that GM no longer licenses Dexron III and recommends Dexron VI as a replacement but on my 4L60E in my 98 chevy truck, I'm leery about using Dexron VI since it's a full or partially synthetic depending on which brand you buy. I used Mobil 1 ATF fluid in this truck years ago when the truck was fairly new and the tranny always felt like it was slipping so I went back to a conventional ATF and the issue went away.

So what Dexron III do you recommend that is not a synthetic? Thanks

Wayne

Originally Posted By: 229
None.

So do you recommend Dexron VI then?

Ken2, thanks for the link. It looks like Chevron still makes Dexron III which I'm still currently using in this truck. I will have to check with the place that I bought my case of it a few years ago to see if they still sell it.

Wayne

I'd recommend Valvoline MaxLife Dec/Merc ATF but if that's not available I'd go for a Dexron VI if you're on the cheap. Red Line D6, Mobil 1 ATF or Amsoil ATL if you've got some extra coin.

How many miles on the tranny?
What has the service been like?

I'm running Dex VI in my 4L60E with no issues.

Otherwise, I'd probably consider Maxlife given the following on here.

I know Dex III people migrating to the back spec of Dex VI with no issues. Dex VI is semi-syn just like Maxlife Dex/Merc. But Maxlife Dex/Merc has extra seal conditioners/swellers, cleaning additives, and a strange "puke" smell.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Whatever is on sale

+1 I ran ST Dex VI and my car never shifted as nicely as it did with regular dex. I switched it out and the shifts are crisp and smooth like they were. I would use any brand of dex III you can find at a decent price.

Maxlife ATF is full synthetic. I have this in my current Regal and it works fine. In my previous Regal I used Dex6 Valvoline with quicker downshifts is the only thing I noticed.

I put ST Dex6 in my friend's 95 Delta88, and other friend's 07 Grand Prix without issue. A co-worker used ST Dex6 in his 99 Regal GS with no issues. Give Dex6 a try.

I've used Advance brand Dex III, Supertech, Pennzoil, Valvoline, and I'm sure some others in various cars for people. They all got the job done with no complaints from anyone. In my own stuff, I've mainly used Maxlife and everything is working great. My 96 will cross 220,000 miles tomorrow and it still shifts excellent so I'll give Maxlife my vote.

Originally Posted By: wtd
Originally Posted By: 229
None.

So do you recommend Dexron VI then?

Ken2, thanks for the link. It looks like Chevron still makes Dexron III which I'm still currently using in this truck. I will have to check with the place that I bought my case of it a few years ago to see if they still sell it.

Wayne

Yes, from the dealer.
The stuff he mentioned costs even more.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Valvoline Maxlife ATF. It's worked well in every car I've used it in, including our Honda.

I've heard lots good on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back