What is the best hand held grease gun?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an old thread but I'll pop in my 2 cents.

For home use most work fine with the right grease.

The M1 grease I had was terrible it would run out even stored cold.

I have been using TSC green grease and dont have that problem with my 15$ generic pistol grip style.

What is wrong with the "Plews" grease guns sold at Wall mart?

I don't own one, but am in need of another gun, and really don't know. What are the things to look for in a grease gun?

Please explain why the Plews is not considered a good grease gun. What options does it not have?

Quote:
Please explain why the Plews is not considered a good grease gun

I don't know if it is considered good or bad.
Check its PSI rating and see if its up to the job you want it to do.
A heavy duty pistol grip type gun will make about 7500 PSI while a standard light duty one will be about 4000-5000 PSI.

If you intend on greasing in colder temps then look for a higher PSI rating.
JMO

Originally Posted By: clutchpain
Hello, is anyone there? It's not a hard question, Hello!

this is a forum not texting. not getting a reply for a day is normal.

Originally Posted By: Johnson615
Alemite would be my first choice. Ive used there pistol grip for years without any problems. Bought a 14.4v gun about 4 years ago without any problems other than I had to buy a new battery. They are top notch IMHO. Lincoln would be my second choice. They are a fine produce as well. We've had a air grease pump for 120lb keg for about 10 years without any problems as well.

Depending on how often you use your gun it might be worth buying a battery powered gun from either Alemite or Lincoln. Pricey but very conveniente.

+1

Alemite guns are very superior!! The A-500 is a really good lever operated gun. The A-525 is a really good pistol grip gun. If you want a gun for life then alemite is the way to go if you dont mind spending some money on them. They go for about $50-$60. I use an alemite almost on a daily basis, I have some guns that are ten years old and they work like day one. The A-500 is capable of 10,000 psi, so it you need pressure then thats the gun!

I tried the lincoln battery operated gun and wasnt impressed at all! The battery would be dead after about two tubes! The alemite battery operated guns are way better, you can get up to 10 tubes thru it with one battery.

Last edited:
ok you got me.
i meant the m3 which was the "grease gun"
300px-M3-SMG.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skk
Alemite makes some of the John Deere grease guns. I just bought a hand held / pistol grip type for $36 and it was one of the very few assembled in the USA grease guns still available (rubber hose in box was Germany). I have not used it yet, but if you are looking to buy one check out your local John Deere place and you can open up the box and give it a once over. FYI the lever gun (also likely Alemite) was made in India.

Alemite no longer makes a USA pistol grip grease gun.

In July, my work took delivery of a bunch of them marked 'made in China to Alemite specifications'. So, I called Amemite to complain; we had been using them for year with great success.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Originally Posted By: skk
Alemite makes some of the John Deere grease guns. I just bought a hand held / pistol grip type for $36 and it was one of the very few assembled in the USA grease guns still available (rubber hose in box was Germany). I have not used it yet, but if you are looking to buy one check out your local John Deere place and you can open up the box and give it a once over. FYI the lever gun (also likely Alemite) was made in India.

Alemite no longer makes a USA pistol grip grease gun.

In July, my work took delivery of a bunch of them marked 'made in China to Alemite specifications'. So, I called Amemite to complain; we had been using them for year with great success.

Yes, I also went into the local JD dealer looking for what I was hoping was the ONLY grease gun still made here.
ALL of the boxes said Sinoland made as well.
frown.gif
mad.gif

I have a 10 yr old plews gun. It is light duty in the pump area and looses its prime often. The pump is starting to leak grease out by the spring. I am about ready to get an alemite as we have one at work and it is great. Lincolns are good also.

I don't know much about grease guns. I bought a Plews pistol grip grease gun in the 1980's. They were made in the USA back then. I don't know about now. It works good. The first thing I did when I bought it was change the solid pipe with an 18" flex hose, and put a 360 swivel fitting on the end.

This is the swivel fitting if it shows up.
05-057.jpg

Plews stole LE idea

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmlind
I have a 10 yr old plews gun. It is light duty in the pump area and looses its prime often. The pump is starting to leak grease out by the spring. I am about ready to get an alemite as we have one at work and it is great. Lincolns are good also.

Every gun I've ever used leaks grease out by the spring. I hate grease guns because of this. But I think it is as much the grease's fault.

Originally Posted By: 1 FMF
ok you got me.
i meant the m3 which was the "grease gun"
300px-M3-SMG.jpg

If I remember correctly the "grease gun" was made by the American can company at a cost of around $8.00 during it's time.

Originally Posted By: tc1446

Are there any such things as a reliable grease gun?

I have three American made Lincolns about 14-15 years old and they get used a lot. Never lost a "prime"
One rigid and one flexible with the lever style, and one flexible with pistol grip.
One may get places another can't and sometimes with lever types, you need one hand on the pump and one on the zerk, but need a third hand to hold the main piece steady.

I use compressor powered in work any chance I can, and it makes life so much easier and quicker.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: cmlind

Every gun I've ever used leaks grease out by the spring. I hate grease guns because of this. But I think it is as much the grease's fault.

If it is dripping liquid, the grease is separating. Time for a new tube.

Originally Posted By: OilFool
I have three American made Lincolns about 14-15 years old and they get used a lot.

^^^Is this how long ago they stopped making them HERE, and sent their production over to India??
mad.gif
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back