SN/GF-5 Napa Synthetic PDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I contacted Valvoline and had them send me the PDS for the SN/GF-5 Napa synthetic. I've seen a few people ask for this and never seen this (revised 3/2011 with 0w20) version posted.

Strange that they list the 0w20 as having more calcium than the other viscosites.

NapaSynPDS.jpg

Yeah I was noticing that the Napa 0w20 seems to be identical to Synpower 0w20 with the exception of the pour point. Even the pour point could be the same considering the data sheet for Synpower is a year and a half newer than the PDS for the Napa Syn they sent.

At the current sale price of $3.79/qt this is the best value 0w20 I'm aware of.

Last edited:
So what do you guys think? Will it go the 8-10k oci? Should I buy it for my 2013 Cruze? $3.79 qt is a great deal!

Originally Posted By: mwball0
So what do you guys think? Will it go the 8-10k oci? Should I buy it for my 2013 Cruze? $3.79 qt is a great deal!

I see nothing to indicate it wouldn't work just fine but I would probably stick to an oil with formal Dexos approval for peace of mind with the warranty and whatnot.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
The CCs numbers are nothing special here, not the greatest cold weather syn oil out there.

No, maybe not the greatest cold weather specs, it still could handle most any condition NA can through at it with the exception of some parts of Canada (maybe). I am very pleasantly surprised with this oil, the 5w30 looks great and I will be getting some for sure.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 10cent
I contacted Valvoline and had them send me the PDS for the SN/GF-5 Napa synthetic. I've seen a few people ask for this and never seen this (revised 3/2011 with 0w20) version posted.

Thanks for the post! With respect to the apparently lackluster MRV values, they are shown as maximums. There's no way that a 0w-20 SN/GF-5 has an MRV of 60,000 cP at -40 C, and the other MRVs are equally unlikely.

Also, the NOACK values are obviously maximums, and not the real values.

I have used synpower in 5 and 10w30 which is vary close to to the napa i would presume? I do find the numbers suspect as i have had no problems in extreme cold weather with the synpower.

Last edited:
I just did my first oil change with Napa 0w-20. I was pleased to see this today when I logged on to post my latest oil change.

I can't say how the oil performs, yet. I've only backed the car out of the garage, but the engine hasn't blown up yet, so I can say I am very pleased so far.

I plan on running my usual 6-7k OCI, and getting an oil analysis at the end. We'll see how this oil holds up.

Originally Posted By: bigblumer
I just did my first oil change with Napa 0w-20. I was pleased to see this today when I logged on to post my latest oil change.

I can't say how the oil performs, yet. I've only backed the car out of the garage, but the engine hasn't blown up yet, so I can say I am very pleased so far.

I plan on running my usual 6-7k OCI, and getting an oil analysis at the end. We'll see how this oil holds up.

I'm looking forward to hearing about this and seeing the results. I just picked up two cases of the 0w20 for use in my Wrangler. I'll likely do a UOA on the 2nd change but that will probably be a year away.

Thank you very much for this info. Just what I needed! I wouldn't hesitate using this oil for 10K or 12 mo. with a new Pure 1 change at 5K.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Would anyone dare to put this in a Honda Fit for 10k? lol

Actually if any car has a chance of making it thru a 10k oci on this oil, it'd be the Fit. Honda 4 bangers run quite hot. Factor in the high rpms the low output engine runs at on hwy/during acceleration. Heat = lesser deposits. Heat also means the oil is getting a chance to burn off moisture and such. Thereby being able to last longer. Also Honda engines arent really hard on oil either ( breaking down the oil , lowering viscosity and such ). And the engine isnt a DI engine, meaning less chance of dilution.

Hence, if any engine can, itd be the one in the Fit.

Great find thanks for posting. The general consensus here has always been "Synpower with a weaker add pack". As noted it looks just like VWB with a Grp III syn base stock, except the 0w20 which mimics the hard to find Durablend add pack at least on paper. Very interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back