changing to a 0w40 from 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi folks! I was just wondering if it would be beneficial to change my 2006 dodge dakota v8's 5w30 to a 0w40? it has 100k miles on it. Just thought the thicker weight would be good for it. It doesnt burn any oil that i've noticed. Any input would be appreciated.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
If the 5W30 is working fine I would stay with it .

+1 If it starts leaking or burning oil, then I'd consider a thicker oil. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Give a 5W30 High Mile oil a shot. It has additives that might help with the rear main seal leak. I'd save the 40 grade oil for a last resort.

Originally Posted By: cavy23
so far no burning but it does have a small rear main seal leak.
no drops on the garage floor yet.

Give Auto-Rx a shot. Maybe the seal just needs some conditioning.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Save your $$ and give a HM oil a shot, no need to spend $25+ on a bottle of A-Rx.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Give a 5W30 High Mile oil a shot. It has additives that might help with the rear main seal leak. I'd save the 40 grade oil for a last resort.

If you want thicker oil and have the beginnings of a seal leak, M1HM in 5w30 might not be a bad choice.

Go with a 5w-30 high mileage oil. Maxlife and Mobil 1 seem to get good reviews.

Don't worry with Auto-RX.

Originally Posted By: Donald

You are in love with Auto-Rx ? Almost every post about additive you're mentioning Auto-Rx.

I never used Auto-Rx, but I did used some engine flushes with reduce dosage 1/10 to 1/16, and it works well. I also use VSOT at 1/2 oz per quart of oil, and it seems to work well too.

There are other benefits to AutoRx than just seal conditioning.

Having used it quite a few times, IMO it works as advertised.

I am not going to argue for or against Auto Rx BUT I would recommend (as others have) trying M1 HM 5w30 before you use 0w40. 0w40 will not hurt anything but not necessary.

Quote:
There are other benefits to AutoRx than just seal conditioning

I guess thats true if you call lightening your wallet then getting into a name calling contest with the owner when you get zero results and ask for a refund.

Spend the money on an oil change instead at least you will get something for your money.
+1 on the HM oil, its worth a shot.

5w30 is the recommended. The rms leak hasn't caused staining where I park. Everytime I go check it there is always oil just looking to drip. I haven't noticed any missing oil in the crankcase when I check it.

5w30 is the recommended. The rms leak hasn't caused staining where I park. Everytime I go check it there is always oil just looking to drip. I haven't noticed any missing oil in the crankcase when I check it.

But are you sure it's the rear seal ? Lots of times leaks from other areas such as the valve covers , oil sender...etc. can leak down the block and make the pan look wet . Just be sure you know what the leak is , don't automatially assume it's a seal leaking just beacause there is oil in that area .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back