Acura 3.7L engine oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD with the 3.7L engine. In the 2012 model year, the 3.7L engine specified 5W-20 while the 3.5L engine used 0W-20. I thought this was interesting and expected this to change in the 2013 model year. Nope.

The 2013 3.7 L engine still specifies 5W-20 and the 3.5L engine 0W-20. There must be some reason. Wish I knew what it was.

PS. I have been running 5W20 of various synthetic flavors since I figure the engineers must know what they are doing.

They probably spec 5w20 in the hopes that the oil won't shear as much if you drive it like a "performance" model likely will be.

I have an Accord V6 6-speed, similar engine. I run 5w-20 cause thats what its specced for. However im going to run 5w-30 in the summer cause i road race and autocross every other week. More protection. Pennzoil Ultra has worked the best for me, they are very flexible engines and pretty much indestructible.

Many Acura engines have been retroactively approved for 0W20. Not sure why the TL 3.7L has not. May still be doing testing?

Here's the Nov 2010 Acura Service News where they announced the 0W20 acceptability for various models, pg.2:

Nov 2010 Acura Service News

The 3.7 is one app where Acura insists on 5w-20 over 0w-20.

Why? I have no idea.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Why? I have no idea.

Same, that's why I have to assume it has something to do with dilution or shearing during the motors testing...

Originally Posted By: Brenden
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Why? I have no idea.

Same, that's why I have to assume it has something to do with dilution or shearing during the motors testing...

I don't understanding how the two would shear differently...

Originally Posted By: bubbajoe_2112

I don't understanding how the two would shear differently...

A syn-blend 0w20 will probably use more VII which are more prone to shearing and deposit formation.

I just wish we could get some insight into the thought process of the Acura engineers that suggests the superiority of 5W-20 over 0W-20 in this application.

Originally Posted By: gogozy
I like to know that too.. I did not know about this, and I was about to put 0w20 in my TSX and MDX in a few weeks.

Best check your owner's manual. They may call for 0W-20

TSX calls for 5w30 and MDX calls for 5w20. I have not see any document that MDX can use 0w20. that is strange, because i always thought 0w20>5w20. perhaps this is the same case where Honda insist S2000 stick with 10w30 over the years, not 5w30, 0w30, or 0w40.
I wonder if anyone tried 0w20 in the J37.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Originally Posted By: gogozy
I like to know that too.. I did not know about this, and I was about to put 0w20 in my TSX and MDX in a few weeks.

Best check your owner's manual. They may call for 0W-20

HI MajorCavalry
I miss your signatures on the earlier reply, I have a 2009 MDX, it's calling for 5w20, maybe 0w20 was likely not popular back then.. is your 2012 TL calls for 0w20? thanks

2012 TL (3.5L) 0W20 except 5W20 for SH-AWD (3.7L)

I have 3.5L and will end up whatever the dealer puts it in. I really don't think either will cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
2012 TL (3.5L) 0W20 except 5W20 for SH-AWD (3.7L)

I have 3.5L and will end up whatever the dealer puts it in. I really don't think either will cause any problems.

that is the part i don't get it, why Honda insist 5w20 on J37? is there something on J37 that is so unique? if so, wouldn't it benefit from the 0w?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back