Opinions on 12 point universal sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wande ring around a big box store I saw a set of these ratchets and wrenches with the ratcheting box ends. They seem to work on everything including square hex and Allen headed bolts.

Anyone try them out? These could of saved me a few hours of frusteration a couple weeks back. If they work as advertised.

I have both kinds.

For me the 12 point sockets are nice to have since they're a little easier to fit into tight spaces, and as you said more flexible with square and allen head bolts. Plus they're a little easier overall to get onto the bolt.

Where I prefer a 6 point socket is when something is really tight; the 12 pointers will sometimes slip off where the 6 point will not.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I have both kinds.

I THINK the OP means something else. I saw some Craftsman ratcheting wrenches at my local Ace hardware store that claim they will work on 6 point, 12 point, square heads, and everything in between. No, I haven't tried them, but they looked interesting.

I think they require the head of the bolt, or the nut, to be in good shape. While I have not tried them, I think that if the head of the bolt, or the nut has slightly rounded edges and is tight, or has slightly rounded edges and requires you to put it together with a high torque, that these carefully designed wrenches would not work.

All of my sockets and all of my wrenches are 6 point because that is what works when the head of a bolt is not in good shape, or the nut is not in good shape.

My wrenches both SAE, and Metric are 6 point one side and open end box U on the other side.

Last edited:
They look like they would tear up the sides of a fastener much more than a traditional socket. I would be afraid of putting any muscle into one since a damaged bolt is a major pain to deal with.

For me, the vast majority of my wrenching is on 6 pt bolts. Every now and then, I will come across a 12 pt bolt on a Honda or an external torx on a Jeep, but those are pretty rare.

I agree with Jim on the 6 pt sockets, and Kuato on the 12 pt combination wrenches.

What were you working on that a universal socket would have helped??

A regular 12 point socket or wrench can apply force far enough from the corner of a hexagonal fastener to apply high torque, but only if both the socket and fastener are precisely sized.

The new generation of 'universal' ("Extreme Access" and similar brands) sockets aren't sized correctly for this purpose. I haven't bought one, but I have plenty of experience with sloppy 12 point wrenches and sockets to not waste my time.

A factor that makes me not even want to give them a try is that they claim to be suitable for E-Torx heads. E-Torx heads are slightly conical to allow for a tight fit and full contact on the driving faces. A 'universal' wrench/socket is only going to make point contact. Every E-Torx fastener I've encountered has been used in demanding a demanding, high torque application, such as head bolts, transmission and suspension. There is no way the universal tool will do anything but tear up the head.

Last edited:
The new generation of these "fits all" sockets look to me like they're asking for trouble.

I stick with 6-point sockets whenever possible, but it's getting harder and harder to find them.

12 point sockets aren't new and work fine on 4 sided fasteners. And most homeowner tasks can be handled with 12 point sockets fine. Now these new one size fits many... I'm sure they'd be handy around the house but I wouldn't want a car full of rounded off fasteners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cchase
I stick with 6-point sockets whenever possible, but it's getting harder and harder to find them.

Huh? Even the cheapest made in USA Craftsman carry a full line of 6-point sockets.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: cchase

Huh? Even the cheapest made in USA Craftsman carry a full line of 6-point sockets.

For whatever reason, they never seem to be in stock around here.

12-point box wrenches are another one that's hard to actually find.

My disclaimer is that I've never used the spline universals.

What I've anecdotally "heard" is that the well made (better brand) metric or SAE splines are pretty darn good at everything, while the lesser brands and the brands that supposedly do metric AND SAE don't work as well.

I personally stick with with the regular 6,12,8pt sockets.

I've had very good luck with the Metrinch sockets but they are a 6 point design. The spline drive types don't interest me. Very small contact surface.

I was remodeling a room under a staircase in a 60-70 year old building a few weeks back.
I couldn't find anything to fit the square fasteners that they used to hold the bookshelves and other items to the brick walls. I eventually used chanel-locks to get them off, but it was slow and painful.

Currently I have 6 sided everything.

Yep I was asking about those "one size fits many" type of socket sets/ wrenches.

I can second the "Metrinch" designs. Have used the same set for years and works great. Even put on 3 foot cheater bar on 1/2 drive numerous times working on old tractors with no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back