More NHRA changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Del Worsham is back driving. This time in the Kalitta funny car. Arend relieved of duties. DeLago tuning Dejoria's funny car now.

Can't wait to see who will drive DSR's dragster....maybe Dixon!!

Love the off season!!

I knew Del wasn't tired of driving, something happened at Alanabi for Del and Dixon to walk.

Have to wonder what happened to Arend?? The few times that I saw him at the track, and during interviews on TV he seemed very likeable, professional, and a decent driver to boot.

Just seems strange Del driving for Connie. Look forward to seeing him back driving though, he's a great, experienced driver.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
NHRA is like a soap opera. Everybody is with everybody if they hang around long enough.

True...and NASCAR is like Jerry Springer lately. LOL

i like hearing you talk about NHRA off season. i still think the fuel class's should go to sealed engines. sure the cars would be slower, but not by much, AND you would see 95% of the cars finish the track under power. and you cant say that wont be better. when you win cause half the cars blow up, thats NOT drag racing.

Originally Posted By: morris
i like hearing you talk about NHRA off season. i still think the fuel class's should go to sealed engines. sure the cars would be slower, but not by much, AND you would see 95% of the cars finish the track under power. and you cant say that wont be better. when you win cause half the cars blow up, thats NOT drag racing.

I'm curious as to how you think this should be implemented?

just simply seal the bottom of the engine, and each valve cover. to be sealed at the start of qualifying, and staying sealed to the end of racing. to be inspected each time the car comes to the starting line. this will make the tuner to turn the wick down, so the engine will live for 15 to 20 runs. let the tuner change any thing not inside the engine. you will have close to all cars finishing the run under full power. now sometimes as much as 50% of runs dont finish under full power. how is 50% non finishing under full power racing?

just simply seal the bottom of the engine, and each valve cover. to be sealed at the start of qualifying, and staying sealed to the end of racing. to be inspected each time the car comes to the starting line. this will make the tuner to turn the wick down, so the engine will live for 15 to 20 runs. let the tuner change any thing not inside the engine. you will have close to all cars finishing the run under full power. now sometimes as much as 50% of runs dont finish under full power. how is 50% non finishing under full power racing?

So slowing them down to the vicinity of ProStock times and speeds, would improve the racing?

Taming a Fuel engine to the point it could last for 20 runs, would eliminate the draw that the Fuel classes have for most of the fans, and the participants.

If you have been to an NHRA race, you know that the stands are often nearly empty, until the Fuel cars come out. Tame them to the point that they are no longer the ground-pounding, ear-splitting, eye-watering, internal-organ-rearranging, violent machines that I, my colleagues, and the fans love, and you might as well just eliminate NHRA Drag Racing entirely.

No way could you do a sealed engine in the fuel classes. Those engines are rebuilt between every round and are the ragged edge to survive that one race. And that is what the people want to see. Sure it is a bummer when there is an oil down and you have to wait for the cleanup but if you neuter the engine so that they rarely break, you will lose the fanbase. The point of most any racing is to push the envelope as far as you can before blowing it up or crashing and thats what we enjoy as racers and want to see as fans.

yes i haven seen the emty stands. but all that noise only draws people that dont understand drag racing. but like i said a fuel car coasting at 200 mph across the finish line is NOT drag racing. i really think the fuel cars will only slow to the low 5s, thats still very fast. at one time that was very interesting. but what do i know? i have only been watching drag racing since 1955.

yes i haven seen the emty stands. but all that noise only draws people that dont understand drag racing. but like i said a fuel car coasting at 200 mph across the finish line is NOT drag racing. i really think the fuel cars will only slow to the low 5s, thats still very fast. at one time that was very interesting. but what do i know? i have only been watching drag racing since 1955.

I respectfully disagree that "all that noise" only interests those that don't understand drag racing. Most of my colleagues are only interested in racing in the Fuel classes. Why?, because there is simply nothing else like it.

There are already penalties for oil-downs. I can tell you from experience that teams absolutely do not want to oil down the track. First of all, it's expensive monetarily. Secondly, it's a black eye for the team that has oil escape from their engine. For the teams that don't have major corporate sponsorship, the cost of oil-down penalties can mean the difference between competing at events, or not.

If you are a team that's in contention for the Championship, it could also ultimately mean the difference between winning the Championship, or not.

I can also tell you there are teams that have already lost interest in racing a Fuel car, simply because of the ever increasing regulations.

At one time, the Fuel classes were all about ever increasing performance. Running in the low 5's was exciting at one time, because the cars had never gone quicker than that. Now, it would be a major step backwards. The teams know it, and perhaps most importantly, the fans know it, and would likely decide that their entertainment dollars are better spent elsewhere.

The poor economy has already knocked out some teams from competing. It has also reduced the fan attendance at races. Intentionally seriously slowing down the Fuel classes which for many people are the incentive to pay for admission, would likely be the final nail in the coffin of NHRA Drag Racing.

I personally would love to see most of the regulations removed from the Fuel cars, and see what they could be truly capable of.

well i cant disagree with your ideas. when the interest in drag racing drops off you know the economy is goeing a way. i remember in 1968 at the worlds point finals at Tulsa in the fall. the interest in super stock was so great that after the last run in super stock, every one started leaving. and the last run for AA/FD was yet to run. course after you see two 1968 hemi cudas run. whats left? the last time i went to a BIG race was 1987. i have tend to live in the past.

Originally Posted By: callbay
Dixon would be great for DSR to replace Spencer Massey.

Wonder where Spencer will end up?

Reading what seems to be the reason for Don to "let him go" Spencer is damaged goods now if the reports are accurate.

Personally never cared for the kid (esp after how he got the ride and kicked Cory Mac out when he was doing so well)

Dixon would be a great person to put in that ride! Class act all the way. Love the drag racing. All classes!

Bill

well i cant disagree with your ideas. when the interest in drag racing drops off you know the economy is goeing a way. i remember in 1968 at the worlds point finals at Tulsa in the fall. the interest in super stock was so great that after the last run in super stock, every one started leaving. and the last run for AA/FD was yet to run. course after you see two 1968 hemi cudas run. whats left? the last time i went to a BIG race was 1987. i have tend to live in the past.

We definitely have different perspectives. I was born in 1968.
smile.gif

I've heard lots of stories from team owners and teammates I've worked for/with, about Drag Racing in the 60's, 70's, 80's, etc. I used to watch the NHRA back when they broadcast several rounds a year on ABC's Wide World of Sports. Good times.

I was doing some quick estimating of what it might take to get a Fuel engine to live 20 runs, without being serviced. I think we would be lucky to even run ProStock times and speeds, if we had to have that kind of parts longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back