Best fuel system /fuel injector cleaner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! just wanted an update .. what would be the best fuel system/ fuel injector cleaner to use for gasoline engines?

My options are mostly from walmart/oreilly.. I've seen STP, Gumount, Lucas, Chevron... Which one would be the best?

Ive tried the new STP complete fuel system cleaner that has 10x more additives.. so far the car ran better and acceleration seemed to be more responsive...

i guess im just looking what my option ares ... I also bought the lucas fuel system cleaner that was recommended by the guy at oreilly.. he actually said he is running it on his car every time he fills up... saw the bottle and it also says use full time to maximize fuel economy.. i was thinking.. every fill up for the lucas might be a bit expensive in the long run.. i was thinking of something i can use every 3k miles/5k KM intervals...

Chevron, STP, Gumount? Only downside with chevron is its a bit more expensive when compared to STP and gumount ...

Iirc the Lucas fuel additive contains pib which has shown to improve fuel economy in some engines. It also acts as an upper cylinder lubricant. I don't know if it does much for cleaning but the instructions show that it is dosed pretty small.
Techron works well,as does the gumout stuff. I've used the stp stuff in my hemi the other day as an engine flush. I can honestly say that the oils colour before the flush was amber and new looking. After the flush it resembled road tar.
I use a mix of acetone,xylene,Lucas fuel treatment,tc-w3 2 stroke oil and this stuff called Eco-fuel saver. Dodge rated my truck to get 16 mpg highway. I've had the mpg meter read 21 mpg highway doing 65 so my chemistry experiment seems to work since when I first bought the truck I ran 2 tanks through and couldn't get the mpg display to read better than 16mpg on the same commute that now reads 21. And I'm pretty sure my concoction is cleaning up any gunk in the fuel system and combustion chambers.

thanks for the replies! waiting to get some more feedbacks from others!
smile.gif
It seems like the gumout complete fuel system cleaner is pretty popular!
smile.gif
those bottle at walmart are priced pretty good!

chevron complete and gumout complete work well

Pepboys always has goumont coupons/sales. Most of their top tier bottles have coupons attached to them.

Last edited:
Any of the fuel system cleaners with the additive PEA. Techron concentrate plus, Red line si-1, Gumouts marked as having "regane" only. Regarding the prices - less potency and less of the good stuff costs less to produce, so they charge less for it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Red Line IMO.

Yep, Redline SI-1 or Amsoil PI.

Here are the key facts on PEA based on the original Chevron controlled testing and field study as well as cross referencing lots of other info

Pea in the bottle should be between 30% and 50%

It was found that bottle equivalent of 30% was needed to significantly remove deposits and no further improvement was seen after 50%. The improvement from 30 to 50 was not linear

All brands mentioned below contain somewhere within this amount

Redline and Amsoil are in the 50% range

3m extra strength is the highest %, might be 60% if I recall correctly

At regular retail prices, Gumout complete gives you the most pea for your $

People keep on saying that only regane has pea but all in one has the same concentration - as evidenced by website, an article that has been posted and the fl oz to treatment ratio

The dosage amount on all the brands is accurate and reflects the original findings

You could overdose a little with Gumout or chevron to get the same effect as the others but it shouldn't matter too much

The original study also found

The more the pea gets to soak the better. So short trips ie one condition that causes the problem is the best driving pattern for max effect

3000 mile interval was found to show deposits building back up again, so maintenance dose is ideal after cleaning the system. So there is potential value in top tier esp chevron as it is pea

Slow cleaning is best. Larger particles getting dislodged can block injectors

So this also suggests chevron and Gumout dosage level is best

My regimen in a neglected vehicle is 2 back to backs with Gumout all in one as it treats 35 gallons

Originally Posted By: Donald
Are you sure that Redline, 3M and Amsoil are PEA based?

Redlines PDS lists:

Quote:
This material does not contain any chemical listed as a carcinogen or potential carcinogen by OSHA, IARC
Monographs, or National Toxicology program at a concentration > 0.1%.
30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had decent luck fixing a rough idle on the older subaru with Shell V-power but I dont see it anywhere anymore. The perceived Cleanup may have been coincidence though as I only tried it one time.

My understanding is..

Just like techron is AKA for its PEA, Gumout's PEA AKA is Regane. No Regane on the bottle, No PEA.

Lot of talk about Gumout's "All in One" going on here. Proof of any PEA? Regane trademark on the bottle?

Gumout® Regane® Complete Fuel System Cleaner - Regane trademark? Check. MSDS listing? Check
Gumout® All-In-One® Fuel System Cleaner - Regane trademark? Nope. MSDS listing? Don't see it.

The "All-In-One" is being compared to techron as more cost effective. Why I'm mentioning this.

I tested Redline SI-1.
About two years ago i did a set of new matched injectors for a customer/friend of mine.
GM3800 Gen II with Delphi 19lb steel bodies.
I matched them with the Asnu flow bench and he installed them.
All were within 0.5% of each other.

The originals were showing signs of internal corrosion due to ethanol and were beyond bringing back to within 3% which is OEM tolerance.

I advised him to run the Redline 1oz per 10gal of fuel to prevent this happening again. He agreed and did just that.

2 years and 40K later the LIM developed a leak and the injectors needed to come out. I asked him if i could have them to test figuring this would be of some value as to the products worth. He agreed.

All were exactly the same as i tested them the first time.
I compared flow data from then and now, its identical.
Optically the business end of the injectors were perfect, no carbon, varnish. Internally no corrosion present and shiny clean.

Granted i didn't test Techron or Gumout but i know this one works as advertised.

Trav,
Thinking about the results I wonder about the "placebo" test. Needed to compare whether the injectors were actually cleaned by Si-1, or there wasn't anything to clean during that time. What was the mileage on the former injectors you replaced? That could work..

Originally Posted By: MarkStock
My regimen in a neglected vehicle is 2 back to backs with Gumout all in one as it treats 35 gallons

I agree with most of your reply so I did not quote it. Are you suggesting two half bottle dosage of Gumout Aii-in-One for two consecutive tanks?

By the way, yesterday I was finally able to resist the urge to stock up on Techron B1G1 sale at AAP. Previously, I could NEVER resist the urge to pick up 6-8 bottles every time the sale was on. I was quite happy with myself for showing that restraint! (Actually, I now prefer Gumout as it is cheaper/better even when Techron is B1G1)

Thanks for the reply!

For the redline s1.. how often do you use it and 1 15oz redline s1 bottle treats up to how many gallons?

Might give that a try
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back