MOBIL1 0W-40 vs. CASTROL EDGE 0W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since Mobil's 0w-40 is Mobil's best oil I wouldn't hesitate using it in an application that calls for it. It has more certs than any other oil I've ever seen so I assume it's good stuff.
I'm sure castrol can make an oil as good as or better than mobil,they just haven't yet(to my knowledge although they are competitive.
I'm sure either or will work fine.

Originally Posted By: SpeedyMan
68037-01-4: it is a kind from the PAO
family. One kind of PAO. Or am I wrong?
And yes, for Germany EDGE can be
different, with more PAO % than the
EDGE from other countries. The question
however is for the German version - see
the picture please.
Castrol wouldn't have named it
Vollsyntetisch. Some EDGE products as
5W-40 Turbo diesel are written to be HC
on the label for Germany and it is just for
Germany

It looks to be a type of hydrocracked base from what I could find
21.gif

My point regarding the German version is that since the MSDS sheets are different, I'm thinking that perhaps they are a different product with the German version having more PAO in it, subsequently allowing it to be labelled as we see.

It is not theory, PAO is there for sure. Both oils are top products.
Mobil1 new life should be as good as the old Mobil1 0w-40, so you may try to ask if there is difference people who have used old and new formula.

German Edge 0w-40 is the oil of Bugatti Veyron, so don't underestimate this oil.

I would personally preffer the Castrol Edge 0W-40, maYbe it keeps the motor cleaner.
Please check these tests. Maybe need help with russian? Oils were exposed to 400 degrees C for 1 hour as far as I remember.

You can see how other oils perform at that test....

I have to question the relevance of that test given my experience with tearing down engines that have run on oils that likely would have done worse than many of the products shown there.

There is no part of an engine that oil is constantly exposed to that routinely sees 400C. This is like dumping oil on your exhaust manifold and seeing which one leaves the most deposits. Hardly relevant IMHO.

The real value is in the spec's the oils meet, as that gives us a rather clear and unbiased perspective of how capable the lubricant is in application.

The tests are reasonable in a way that PAO oils keep clean the engine especially with LL use. Sludge is often formed in the BMW vanos systems.. These test were inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQJM1VasII.

A small part of the oil is exposed to 400+ oC in an engine- oil at the cylinders, pistons.. piston rings... Mobil1 works fine, no sludge, no deposits in the PCV system.. some oils - not. And the test shows which oils work clean.

And I think BMW 5w-40 super power is not a bad oil at all.. Maybe I will use it, it also is fullSAPS...

Here is a topic about CAS numbers: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=257881

Last edited:
157707-86-3 and 68037-01-4 are hydrogenated PAO's.

This simply means that the PAO was stabilized by bubbling hydrogen gas through the PAO.

So this oil is indeed >50% PAO, wow! Thanks Mola, I appreciate it. As I said earlier, I'm certainly not a chemist, I saw hydrogenated and assumed it meant they were hydrocracked base oils. Thank you for clearing that up
thumbsup2.gif

With this oil meeting:
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SN/CF
BMW Longlife-01
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB-Freigabe 229.3/ 229.5
Porsche A40
PSA Approval B71 2296
VW 502 00/ 505 00

I'd actually consider running it in my M5 if it was available here.

Mola:

Question, what is your interpretation of the Canadian MSDS:

http://datasheets.bp.com/USSDS/AMERSDSF.nsf/0/CE8F0242C0F9703280257A2D00552758/$file/131653Castrol%20EDGE%200W-40%20A3_B4.pdf

Says:

Ingredient name CAS # %
Base oil - highly refined Varies 15 - 20

Hi,
OVERK1LL - You säid this:

"The real value is in the spec's the oils meet, as that gives us a rather clear and unbiased perspective of how capable the lubricant is in application."

So true - the Engineers involved have much at stake - so does their employer!!

Last edited:
My problem with Castrol is how bloody vague their PDS's are, arg!

1. Castrol Edge 0w40 US PDS:
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/EDGE_Professional_European_PDS_July_2012.pdf

2. Mobil 1 0w40 US PDS: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

So, to compare:

1. Castrol Edge 0w40:

Approvals:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ/CF
ILSAC GF-5
ACEA A3/B4
BMW Longlife 01
Mercedes-Benz 229.3
Mercedes-Benz 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502.00
VW 505.00

Specifications
Viscosity @ 100C, cSt 13.5
Viscosity @ 40C, cSt 79.3
Viscosity Index 169
Cranking Viscosity, cP (Max) 6,200 @ -35
Pumping Viscosity, cP (Max) ASTM D4684 60,000 @ -40
HT /HS Viscosity, cP min 3.5
Pour Point, F (C) max -76 (-60)
Flash Point, PMCC, C min >200
Density @ 15C, Relative 0.84

2. Mobil 1 0w40:

Approvals:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ
API CF
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
MB-Approval 229.3
MB-Approval 229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00/505 00
PORSCHE A40
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6
Nissan GT-R
VW 503 01
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT 9.55535 - M2
FIAT 9.55535 - N2
FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

Specifications
Viscosity @ 100C, cSt 13.5
Viscosity @ 40C, cSt 75
Viscosity Index 185
MRV at -40ºC, cP (ASTM D4684) 31,000
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC, (ASTM D4683) 3.8
Total Base Number (ASTM D2896) 11.8
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 230
Density @15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.85

Mobil seems to be a lot more forthcoming with their product information rather than just using "min" or "max" figures.

According to this Castrol is ILSAC GF-5 approved! Just 5W-30's are in this approval list, this is the only 0W-40 I think.

Does that ring a bell? ILSAC GF-5 is hard to be covered.

Last edited:
According to this Castrol is ILSAC GF-5 approved! Just 5W-30's are in this approval list, this is the only 0W-40 I think.

Does that ring a bell? ILSAC GF-5 is hard to be covered.

Must say it is the first one I've seen. Question though, what did you mean by "HC" in your post earlier that I responded to with a question mark?

I suppose it is possible to be HydroCrack

Oh! No, Mola answered the question about that, see his post above
smile.gif

i cant really choose...
which one should i buy..
is the result that castrol is Group iv and obil Group iii?

Originally Posted By: blank1
i cant really choose...
which one should i buy..
is the result that castrol is Group iv and obil Group iii?

They are both blends of both bases and from what I have gleaned from this discussion, the Castrol has more PAO in it. However the Mobil meets more spec's, so it's a toss up. Choose whichever you can get for the best price, as both are excellent products.

I appear to be haunted by the ghost of Castrol TWS
crazy2.gif

So I contacted Castrol Canada as to if it is possible to obtain this lubricant:

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

ENQUIRYDETAILS : I'm wondering where I can purchase Castrol Edge 0w40, as it is not available at Canadian Tire or any other of the local distributors I am familiar with.
CARMAKE : BMW
CARMODEL : M5
CARYEAR : 2001
WHOCHAGESTHEOIL : You

Here is their response:

Originally Posted By: Castrol
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America,

Castrol always recommends following the guidelines of the original engine manufacturer for the recommended grade and API specific to your application. This information can be found in the vehicles owner's manual or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

Castrol EDGE with Syntec Power and Technology and Castrol EDGE with Titanium Fluid Strength and Technology is not available in a 0W40.

For a 2001 BMW M5, as per Castrol's lubrication guide, only special engine oil that can be obtained from your local BMW dealer is recommended for use.

Only BMW is able to identify the equivalent performance aspect and/or make a recommendation for an appropriate alternate product if available.

Please contact BMW for further assistance and to ensure that you service your vehicle with the correct oil.

Castrol Consumer Relations

So I need to use TWS and EDGE 0w40 doesn't exist. AWESOME!

picard-facepalm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back