Adjusted the valves today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'll have to check the plugs on our MDX. Nearly 90,000 miles, and it's all original.

Valve adjustment is a non-issue. It's quick work, and it's enjoyable work for a DIYer. I prefer adjustable valves to the alternative (but we've had those discussions before...).

What's the "alternative", cam over bucket? HLA's like Ford uses? Those don't seem like bad alternatives.....

I am under impression that it is more than 3-hours on a Honda V6. Fortunately, EricTheCarGuy has a complete start to finish video on it if somebody wants to tackle it on their own. The couple of quotes that I had gotten on this job were in $500 range even from an independent.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Not a non issue.
Quote:
Valve adjustment is a non-issue. It's quick work, and it's enjoyable work for a DIYer. I prefer adjustable valves to the alternative
Having done valve adjustment on a Honda V6 and others, I find that valve adjustment is an issue. It costs. The novice DIY can easily do it wrong. Maybe need to buy gaskets. Tools? Maybe. Time spent adjusting or going to the shop?
Acura valve adjustment pics. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854094

Some Honda manuals mistakenly lead the owner to believe that if valves do not make noise, they are likely not needing adjustment. This is not true. Tight valves can burn and damage valves and head. On old CRV, lack of valve adjustment has cost many owners a head rebuild. On V6 Hondas, the upper intake manifold must be removed to get the rear valve cover off. Not quick compared to hydraulic valve lifters that need no adjustment.

Expense is an issue for owners who do not DIY, about $400. And maybe an upsell for something else, maybe something not needed, to increase the repair bill. Lose use of your vehicle while in the shop. Spend time taking it to the shop. And so forth.

That's basically any maintenance on a V6 = difficult. On a 4 cylinder Honda it is very easy, just pop the valve cover and you can adjust it with a feeler gauge, a wrench, and a screw driver.

Good work sciphi!

I haven't even thought about having the valve lash checked/adjusted on our 2008 Honda Odyssey 3.5L. We're only at ~57K miles with it though.

I do plan on swapping the (original) brake fluid and and maybe the coolant soon.

It's not the smoothest running/driving vehicle I've ever owned, but it idles so smooth and quiet, you forget it's running.

Joel

Last edited:
I must admit I haven't had a car that needs valve adjustment in years. Though my Subarus were dealer serviced theoughout apart from intermediate oil changes and brake pads so not sure if they needed them done.

I don't think I could even remember how to do them.

Nothing is better than doing something on your car and you feel an improvement.

my accord pays 4.6 hours to adjust valves. Intake must come off, other than that, invest in a good set of angled feeler gauges and get comfortable leaning over the motor for a while. Locknuts 14 ft lbs. intake set to .008 exaust .011

And yes, plugs do come loose on the V6 engines, particularly the 3.0. It will mimic sound like valve tick. I have to check mine now that i'm thinking of it!

Last edited:
I forgot about this!

The car runs fine (AFAIK, since I rarely get in it for long periods), isn't burning/leaking oil last I checked earlier this week, and is still getting its usual 30-32 mpg.

I'm not about to check the plugs again since they are a PITA to check. It runs fine, let it be.

The original coolant will be swapped this spring. I've had the Type II sitting on the shelf for at least a year now, but never got around to it.

Question for Sciphi

1st- Sorry to everyone for dredging up an old thread.

Sciphi- What is the valve clearance spec for your Fit?

The reason I ask is that two weeks ago I did the lost motion recall work on my Fit myself, not trusting our local dealer. I used a service bulletin in Spanish and another in English for reference, neither had all the information I needed, but between the two there was enough for me to get the job done. Everything seems to have went well except... audible valve ticking in the cabin between 1500 & 2500 rpm with no load. The English bulletin didn't include valve specs, but the Spanish did: .006 - .007" intake and .010 - .012" exhaust.

Well, today I had a d'oh moment and checked the owner's manual which said .006 - .0075" for both sides, which coincides with what I found them at before I adjusted them. That'll teach me to trust the bulletins; the English one had an error too.

Good job on catching your loose plug, a few Fits in Canada have blown out plugs taking the threads with them. I checked torque on mine @ 19.5 ft.lb. and none of them budged, so far so good.

Thrace X 2. I repaired DIL's '99 CRV head. It burned a #4 exhaust valve. I lapped in 2 new valves and put it back on. A perfectly adjusted valve is quiet, so is a tight valve. A loud valve is a happy valve.

At least on the US models Honda has underhood sticker with the valve clearance, spark plug number and gap on it.

Pretty soon I need to do a valve adjustment on a '96 Civic and a '04 Corolla as part of maintenance. Do you always have to install a new valve cover gasket? How about if the gasket is only about 6 mo old?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
I'm guessing at least 50% of Honda owners never have them adjusted and of those 80-90% never have a problem.
Just a wild-donkey guess, though.

I bought a used Civic w/ 142k on it, and I'm 90% sure the PO would have never done the valves unless they were presenting an issue. I won't touch them until I do the next t-belt at ~170k.

I would bet it is more like 95% who have never had an adjustment. I have bought new 4 Honda Accords and 1 Civic model years 1976 - 2007. Never did an adjustment, never had to add 1 ounce of oil between changes (all done by me), probably 700K miles total at least. I always buy the FSM for each, it shows how, but just never needed it.

Honda dealers service ads have never pushed or promoted it like timing belts, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
At least on the US models Honda has underhood sticker with the valve clearance, spark plug number and gap on it.

It's hit or miss on Mexican models on the under hood stickers. My Fit has a lengthy one in 3 languages explaining the extended service interval for Type II coolant, a small one that says R134a but doesn't give charge mass or lubricant type or mass and a big orange warning for the SRS system. It would be nice to have a "tune up" sticker, but they didn't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back