Electric impact wrench (corded) suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys.

I need to replace struts on my 99 Camry (101k). Since I don't have a garage, I have to finish the job during a daytime.
Thus, I am considering to buy a corded electric impact wrench.

These are candidates.

DEWALT DW293 7.5-Amp 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench: 345 ft./lbs
Milwaukee 9071-20 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench: 300 ft./lbs
Harbor Flight 1/2 inch electric impact wrench: 230 ft./lbs

The dewalt has the highest torque but there are some conflict reviews on the Amazon. By wikipedia there is no standard way to measure it, so manufactures measure it. Does anyone have experience with them? How do they measure the torque?

Thanks,
Ryan.

The HF one is garbage. I bought one and it couldn't even remove lug nuts.

I have a Makita BTW450z 1/2" cordless that is going up for sale...later tonight (look for my post in the for-sale section). I think it should be in your budget and it delivers and honest 300+ ft-lbs.

yeah stay away from HF electric impact couldn't remove lugs nut with them either.. why not go cordless? I have the milwaukee and it will remove anything i can throw at it..

I have the Milwaukee. When comparing them side by side, it was clearly the superior option. It zips the lug nuts off of my trucks without pause.

I've used a Milwaukee on past suspension jobs with no issues.

But, even the best one won't work if there isn't enough clearance to reach the fastener, so be sure to check that aspect.

I have had my Harbor Freight electric impact for about 5 years now, it works just fine busting lug nuts loose and I have used it on other fasteners as well with no problems at all. It may not be the best tool for heavy everyday use but it works fine for how I use it.

How come the cordless one makes more torque then corded one? I love to have a cordless one. However the frequency of using the wrench will be about 2~3 times a year, so the corded one would be the better choice for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RyanHeo
How come the cordless one makes more torque then corded one? I love to have a cordless one. However the frequency of using the wrench will be about 2~3 times a year, so the corded one would be the better choice for me.

I got a cordless one that used the Dewalt 18V batteries I have for other tools. Bare tool is not that expensive.

If I need to go outside to trailer or riding mower, this is a lot easier.

Originally Posted By: muchsnow
1/2 inch Milwaukee....awesome...
Ring instead of the pin though...

I have the corded Milwaukee. Was US made at least when I bought mine, maybe 6 years ago. Mine has the pin, not a ring. There are a few options. Id recommend mine, it is a good unit and no need to worry about longevity of batteries.

That said, I also have an IR cordless because I use the batteries for flashlights too, and the system is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: RyanHeo

Im not sure why they dont make corded wrenches that pull more than 5-6A, but I think thats it.

Battery current sourced can be really huge, and it is all isolated as a system, not worrying about tripping circuits, etc.

The dewalt corded hasnt let me down yet.. My biggest regret is getting the detent pin anvil, and not the friction/hog ring anvil. No matter what you end up getting, get one with the friction ring, instead of the detent pin. I used the dewalt cordless for a little while and it works great also. Just recently though i learned that Milwaukee cordless impacts, both 3/8 and 1/2 in drive, are far more powerful then the dewalt cordless. So ive sold off my dewalts and am switching to milwaukee. (im attending automotive school so i want all the power i can get out of my electric impacts). Snap on, and ingersoll rand both make electric impacts that are more powerful then the milwaukees, but they are priced astronomically higher

Last edited:
I bought a Kobalt corded impact from Lowe's a year or so ago and have been quite pleased with it. I use it mainly for lug nuts but it also took the nuts off my gooseneck hitch with no problem. It has a long cord and came with 6 impact sockets.

If you get a hog ring type I suggest the first socket you put on is say a 3/4" deep. Push it on and take it off several times. My Dewalt was so tight I had a hard job getting the standard socket off. Had it been a deep socket and decent sized I would have had a better grip to pull it off.

I have an older Makita corded impact that I've been happy with. I know they still make them, if you would consider that brand.

I would also say to go with a ring instead of a pin on the anvil.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If you get a hog ring type I suggest the first socket you put on is say a 3/4" deep. Push it on and take it off several times. My Dewalt was so tight I had a hard job getting the standard socket off. Had it been a deep socket and decent sized I would have had a better grip to pull it off.
That's what happens when you use a standard chrome socket with a hog ring; they can damage the hog ring. Impact sockets don't have the detents on the inside walls of the drive end of the socket for the pin to snap into and they fit much better on hog ring anvils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back