Picked up an ecotec cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a 2004 but I'm not sure it will live to see 2014.
lol.gif

Throwing codes for a LF ABS wheel sensor (harness) and major evap leak. Also has pretty lousy brake lines in the rear.

cavS3010007.jpg

It's smiling with one clear eye and one milky one.

cavS3010002.jpg

I honestly think the previous owner tried fixing a leaky brake line with a hot glue gun!!!

cavS3010003.jpg

This unibody rot is kind of discouraging for an eight year old car.

cavS3010005.jpg

These floor pans OTOH look great and are what one can see when quickly evaluating something in a parking lot.

cavS3010004.jpg

For my gross EVAP leak I'm going to have to figure out what hoses are no good in the charcoal system. These have coca cola like stuff dripping from them. Could plausibly be brake fluid from the nearby line.

cavS3010006.jpg

I haven't checked out this tail light's fitment, would be funny if it were assembled this way. One owner car BTW.

cavS3010001.jpg

Muffler is banging around. Just missing its belt strap. Universal stuff is coming to its rescue.

cavS3010008.jpg

Coveted ecotec engine. Automatic trans has a little knob with a picture of a book/ owners manual on it. Nerd that I am, I picked up a HF 1.25" shallow impact socket for the oil filter cap before I bought the car, "just in case"...

cavS3010009.jpg

They should have gotten the paint sealant!!!

cavS3010010.jpg

Aside from "buckle seat belts" this is what it looks like driving down the road: Check engine, service body, BRAKE, ABS, and Trac Off. Is also perilously low on fuel, dunno if there's a light for that.

cavS3010011.jpg

So I borrowed my FILs 1-ton van and rented a tow dolley to drag this heap home. I called Uhaul's local number for a self storage lot across town. Dude said he was in and out (Uhauls hours said in until 2pm on sundays) but he didn't have a Uhaul dolly. He did have his own I could have for $25 a day CASH, and I could turn it in after 2pm.

I show up and he's gone but this note is on the dolley. Junker has no working lights save for one yellow marker that only blinks when the brake and turnsignal are on. White ground wire is tugged out and corroded. It grounded thru the ball hitch, I guess. Instead of the pin that keeps the ramps from pitching down there was an ordinary hardware store bolt. Dug around MacGyver's van and found some vise grips to keep said bolt from working out.

The lower fascia of the car was smashing into the ramp when I tried driving up on it. Undaunted, I dug through the van and found one 2x6x8. Put it on one ramp, drove up it, and promptly busted it into two, four foot 2x6s. Perfect.

Put these on each ramp, drove up, and the bumper cleared.
banana2.gif

Oh, this loading was all using just the e-brake as the service pedal sinks to the floor.
15.gif

the dash photo was maybe the best I've ever seen on here.

Congrats on the new ride!

Originally Posted By: JOD
the dash photo was maybe the best I've ever seen on here.

Congrats on the new ride!

Looks like the dash on a plane before it's about to crash.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I'm ROFLMAO...Love it. The part about the 2x6 had me in LULZ!

Me too!

Can't wait to see this Cavy get a little bit of lovin' to get back on the road.

OMG!
Admitedly, the Cavi was nothing GM should be proud of, but how can an eight year old car be so trashed?
My fifteen year old Accord, with 207K, is in better overall condition, still has nice paint, nothing like this much rot, and everything works, except for the one corroded and failed brake line in the rear, with more undoubtedly to follow.
Couple this with the need for a second timing belt as well as the three leaking spark plug tubes, from the hard to replace lower o-ring, not the easy to replace top gasket, and it's time for this car, for which I paid $6K nine years and 143K ago to go on to its next home.
I couldn't quite make out the miles, but it looks like 160K+?
I'd say the original owner got his money out of this car.
Lord knows he didn't spend much taking care of it.
It does look like a glue gun was used to try to repair the leaking brake line.
The original owner may have been the kind of guy who knows just enough to be dangerous.
I wonder how many other efforts at hillbilly engineering you might find?

The Cavalier owners I've known in the past were younger guys (we were all young back then) who couldn't give a hoot about car maintenance or caring if it looked good. It appeared that the fact it was a Cavalier meant they were not even going to try and look "proud" of owning it. In high school, a couple guys had the Z24s and thought they were driving a Corvette that made the ladies swoon, but that was it.

Yet with all that abuse from 18-22 year old guys, I never saw one like this.

Things apparently changed in the years between my youth and yours.
Most of us took pride in whatever we drove and cared for those cars well.
We would never have treated a late-model car as a beater.
It would have had obsessive maintenance and been kept washed and waxed beyond what most Ferrari owners do today.
I grew up in an upscale suburb of Cleveland, but in those days, there weren't too many spoiled rich kids.
I do remember a girl I was in high school with getting stuck on a hill in her father's stick Corvette, but she was neither spoiled nor snobish.
She was also not all that good with a clutch, apparently.

Underbody rot? Not uncommon with GM,Cavaliers and Saturns.Check out "saturn rust" on You Tube.Very scary stuff if that rust breaks away.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Looks like it needs a new home in a crusher.

That was harsh!

How is the interior? Usually with people who don't give a flip about their car, that's the first thing to get trashed. I know from working at an auction that some people can ruin an interior in 2 years or less.

Nothing by itself on this car is shocking for the age, but the combination of problems is pretty impressive, especially for a one owner car. This looks like something that has been passed around on the buy here pay here lot for 6 years.

Interior is not bad but the glovebox latch is busted. They tied the door up to the defroster vent grille with a shoelace.
lol.gif

It also smells sickly sweet like they had angel food cake smeared everywhere. The drivers power window has lots of friction and stalls with 12 volts (key on, engine off) and the engine has to be running for it to have power to go all the way in one attempt.

The undercarriage rot is alarming to me. There is no care involved with that portion of the vehicle. The only thing an owner can do is park their car in the ocean or ocean front to make it accelerate.

Although I have heard heated/warmer garages and salt do not mix well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back