2009 Honda Fit 9k miles on Edge 5w20 (vs. M1 UOAs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say we have a winner! Castrol Edge Syntec 5-20, first run on this brand in the engine and it appears to be doing quite well - dare I say superior to the M1 oils previously used? I understand it's not really fair to say that what with break-in and all the other factors involved. Anyway, I did not drain the oil on this sample, and I'm glad I didn't because I'll go ahead and leave it in for another 6k or so. After sample was taken I topped up with ~1/2qt G-oil and put on a new filter.

Code:

Mileage 62k - 44k - 25k

Miles(oil) 9k - 8k - 9k

Oil Edge5w20 - M1EP5w20 - M1AFE0w20

Iron 6 - 16 - 13

Chromium 0 - 1 - 0

Lead 0 - 0 - 0

Copper 1 - 3 - 2

Tin 0 - 2 - 1

Aluminum 11 - 15 - 11

Nickel 0 - 1 - 0

Silver 0 - 0 - 0

Vanadium 0 - 0 - 1

Silicon 3 - 16 - 17

boron 32 - 58 - 60

Sodium 3 - 10 - 10

Potassium
Magnesium 1220 - 12 - 12

Calcium 912 - 2123 - 2271

Phospho 649 - 493 - 734

Zinc 848 - 800 - 718

Moly 86 - 106 - 97

Barium 0 - 0 - 2

Vis100c 8.7 - 7.79 - 8.05

Fuel unk - NA - NA

Glyc NA - NA - NA

Soot unk - 0 - 0

Oxidation unk - 19 - 20

Nitration unk - 13.4 - 13.2

TBN 6.5 - unk - unk

9K and a TBN of 6.5
shocked2.gif
wow!

I guess this is why Honda lets the OLM go out so far on highway mileage w/ these cars... Only once did I change mine under 12k miles.

With a TBN of 6.5 after 9k miles, I would re-sample at 15k miles without changing oil to see if it can be in service for another 5-6k miles.

Always good to see a comparison of different oil brands and the results are interesting, BUT what is going on as regards the Silicon figures? Not real idea myself although my own virgin UOA shows 3 ppm for Silicon as it is in the anti foam additive. I would have thought your engine has enough miles not to show up Silicon sealants that are in a new engine, so can you think of why there is such a drop with the last UOA, as it could be causing an increase in Iron for the first 2 sets of figures?
Although I use Liqui Moly Synthoil, I regard Castrol Edge as a very good oil and I am not surprised to see a difference.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyship
... what is going on as regards the Silicon figures?

I did replace the air filter just prior to this oil change. There was no sign that the old one was bad though so I doubt it had much to do with the silicon. I figured it was still break-in residue from sealants, etc.

OK I just took a look at some of my own UOA Silicon figures and the ones you have are too low anyway to have caused the drop in the Iron figure, so it appears you have found a winner.
Castrol Edge is expensive in Germany, so I will stick to my favourite LM Synthoil. It would be interesting to see how an 0/20 compares if there is an approved one available, or a 5/30.

They're all good UOAs and the wear number differences are just noise.
I don't think a new filter was necessary.
So the OLM in your Honda indicated plenty of life left in the oil?
I'd survey some other Fit UOAs to see what their TBN depletion rates are like. Your 6.5 could be in error.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Gazooks! The TBN at 9k is something else. This must be Gold bottle Edge, the FST stuff?

He said it was Edge Syntec

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

So the OLM in your Honda indicated plenty of life left in the oil?

It was at 30% I think, and it hit 15% (when the dash starts telling you to change it) about 1000 miles later.

Quote:

Your 6.5 could be in error.

This UOA is from ALS in Portland (Wix analysis kit). They seem to be close to Blackstone to me.

Zan - I have a fit too
smile.gif
Did you see any oil on your air filter - like a black grime on the "dirty side"? Also what oil filter are you running? I'm Having good luck with the latest wix with the small inlet holes (ala purolator) and they now use, Im happy to report, a Si adbv rather than the suspected previous nitrile flapper.
- A bit of trouble, Im chasing a hot heavy shake at idle right now - dont know if its tight valve or dirty injector. It's like it idling on 3 cyls though it doesnt throw a MIL yet. Many who check their valves found them really tight ( 6-7 rather than 12 mils on the exhaust side) I dig into it but the intake proper has to be removed is a PITA to get off given coolant lines going to the throttle body. Good show on your UOA and sorry for the semi-hijack.

I run the Purolator 14610 oil filter. And yes that black grime has been on the air filters every time I've changed them - not entirely sure what it is but it seems oily rather than dusty like most filters I'm used to seeing.

If you're getting a weird idle already at 10k miles on your Fit, I'd say you better bring it back to Honda and tell them to take a look inside - maybe a preemptive valve adjustment or perhaps they haven't figured out the lost-motion spring thing yet?

You should change the AF more often. Part of the difference is the higher silicon on the previous runs.

No. The higher silicon in the previous oas contributed to more wear metals in those oas. Got it,now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back