What is a normal transmission temperature range

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on ambient temperature, load, and speed. I would say normal is probably 140-220F with the lower end for flatline crusing on a cold day and the upper end pulling hills on a hot day.

i'll perhaps elaborate a bit more with mine:

95 monte carlo, 3100, 4T60E

i take very long highway-bound trips fairly often.... when the air temp is ~50*F or less, the trans temp never really gets above the 150*F point. the same cruise when it's ~80*F out, i'll watch the trans temp slowly creep up to the coolant temp(roughly ~198*F), but it takes quite some time(an hour or so of cruising at 70MPH).

creeping around town on a hot day, i'll see temps get above my coolant temp, but i've never gotten above ~220*F that i know of.

that's with an unmodified cooling system. at times i consider adding in an auxiliary trans cooler, but it's probably not necessary. current fluids take higher temps much better than they did back in the day.

I see. Had someone ask me since their V8 Ford was around 185-190 temps but the vehicle only had a couple thousand miles on it so still breaking in I assume. Ambient Temps were in the low 60s I believe.

Ambient temps of 50-60F and my F-150 once warmed up is around 148-157F. Nothing in tow and highwat dtiving around 75/80. So the gage says anyway!

My 2009 Dodge 1500 is around 150. Towing 6000 lbs tops is 188. . My Corvette is 200! Give or take a little. I was shocked at how hot it runs and its in the REAR of the car. But guys on the Corvette forumns say thats NORMAL. Once driven a while, coolant,oil and trans temps all are in the 200 range.

Mine starts to shift happily and feel warmed-up once it hits about 120 (so I'd consider that minimum for normal operating temp), I wouldn't want to see it over 180 sustained, 210 for short bursts.

It will vary some by transmission and vehicle model.

For my Ford 5R44E, it is highly dependent on ambient air temp. During the winter when temps are below about 50*F, ATF temp won't go above 150*F no matter how long I drive. During summer 175*-185* is typical depending on the type of driving. The trans cooler has a t-stat that opens at 180* or 190*, can't remember which, but I have never seen the trans temp above 190* on the Scangauge, even with towing and hills in summer.

I would say for most automatics, 140*-190* depending on outside air temp is normal. It is really going to vary by vehicle though. I would expect higher temps in FWD applications with more compact packaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back