rotella 5w40 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was wondering what you thought about running this in a 2004 mach 1 mustang. the car has 120,000 miles and has began making a ticking/tapping noise. it only makes the noise when it is hot and at idle.cold engine= no noise and reving the engine past idle, hot or cold = no noise. it makes me think it is an oil pressure deal since the oil thins when it gets hot. 5w20 is noisy, 10w30 is less noisy so i was thinking 5w40 would be great. (plus there are some ford guys that swear by a diesel spec oil in these dohc engines. let me know what you think.)

5W40 may quiet it down to a point but it will not solve the obvious problem. It does not hurt to give it a try for your own piece of mind but nothing other than a teardown and rebuild will take care of an oil pressure problem if the parts are worn out and fixable. Trying the thicker oil will at least give you a chance to use that for diagnostic purposes. If going with a thicker oil gives you higher pressure and that does shut it up then you know what the problem is.

If you're driving around a Mach 1 Mustang, I don't think it would be unreasonable to install an oil pressure gauge and be done with it.

If ur running a 10-30 now, IMO I would try a HDEO in 10-30 and sticking with Rotella (will give you a CI/CJ rating) you could go to Rotella T5, it's a syn blend. It would just seem to me if oil psi is your concern (much like above) I would go a bit hevier, and I think going syn-blend and HDEO but at the same weights would possibly be enough.

Try it. There are a number of reports of it quieting high miles engines. Can't do any harm. That engine is not as tight as it was when new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back