2 Cycle Marine Oil TC-W3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it OK to use Pennzoil Premium "synblend" 2 cycle Marine Oil TC-W3 in weekeaters/leafblowers/chainsaws that require a 32:1 or 40:1 or greater?

I bought this 1qt bottle for $3.99 and neither the bottle nor the Pennzoil website mention anything about OPE...Only Marine use. But, I don't see anything different between the Pennzoil or the Havoline or other brands as-far-as...Certified, TC-W3/NMMA.

TIA,
CB

Last edited:
But, on the otherhand, sitting right next to the Pennzoil TC-W3/NMMA is the Havoline TC-W3/NMMA for $5.49. Both mentioned the exact spec/certification of TC-W3/NMMA. I'm just thinking that the Pennzoil has some extra additives to protect against moisture(Marine) compared to the Havoline or others.

you want TC not TC-w3

so no I wouldnt use it. Air cooled 2stroke engines require a different oil than water cooled.

The G-oil 2 stroke oil is TC at walmart...
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gotch
If it is "TM" rated you are probably ok to go... I use STIHL's oil in all my air cooled 2strokes.

What is "TM" rated?

I may just return it as it's not open yet and I have the receipt.

I've started using Pennzoil syn TC-w3 in my land based 2-cycles. They seem to run much better to me.

The only failures I've had with my non-watercraft 2-cycles have been fuel system related....I've never worn one out.

I believe the syn TC-w3 might be less prone to clogging up my orifii. I've only been doing this for about four months but, so far I'm loving it.

The TC-W3 is designed not to cause deposits on the lower temperatures a water cooled outboard has. TC is designed to protect air cooled equipment at the higher temperatures it experiences. At some point one would think they could engineer a solution to both, and I have seen a few oils that spec both. Personally I don't mix the two, it's not that hard.

Once, before I knew better, I used TC-W3 oil in my weedwacker. Big mistake. The piston crown was heavily coated with carbon deposits and the plug was fouled, after only a few fuel-ups.

After that, I've only used air-cooled TC oils for air cooled applications.

TCW-III will lubricate the engine well enough. But, as mentioned above, it's not ideal for high temperature use.

If you choose to use it, use 32 or 40 to 1 as a starting point.

In some malaysia motorcycle shop, they sell penzzoil marine 2t premium plus rated tcw3. Those shop owner swear it is excellent for motorcycle. Alot of guys use it for their 2 stroke bike and they claim it keep their engine runnng good and clean during periodic overhaul servicng.

Take it for what it worth. I think it work just fine.

this was originally written by a another person testing 2 cycle oil . You dont have to believe it, but its one oz of tcw3 2 cycle oil to one gallon of gas. It will not blow your engine, add to gas only, add to gas only......................

you guys know I test constantly and oil/tribology is my thing so here goes. I know the gasoline today is dirty. Very dry and poor quality. Throw in ethanol and you got [censored]/corrosive gasoline. I use Fuel Power/Lucas UCL with great success in my cars and other peoples cars. At the first of the year some of us "lubrication physcho's" (mainly from the aircraft industry) discussed the bad quality of gasoline and the absolute advantages of running a fuel additive with lubrication capabilities and I think the testing is now complete and the results are very good. Biggest problem we had was the proper amount but we are now satisfied this works very well and you will have a smoother running engine/more power/better MPG....so here it is.....
What we are trying to accomplish ( The deliverables)
We need to lubricate the fuel pump/seals/injectors.
We need to clean the fuel system and scavenge water that ethanol attracts.
We need a film of protection in our fuel system to stop corrosion.
We need a cleaner for our spark plugs/valves/combustion chambers.
We need to clean the ring packs
We need to leave a film on the cylinder walls to eliminate cold start metal wear.
This was my groups short list of deliverables. Of course we knew if we accomplished this list the car should A) Run Smoother B) Run more efficiently C) Parts will last longer i.e. fuel pumps/injectors etc. D) We should see more RWHP and MPG
We did it. For pennies.
2 Stroke oil. Not just any two stroke oil But we needed the detergents etc. and found the perfect oil/add packs/viscosity in a marine 2 stroke oil you can get for under $10 bucks a gallon anywhere. We used Pennzoil Marine 2 stroke for our testing. Here is the "blurb" from Pennzoil.....
------------------------------------------------------------
Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic
Ultimate Protection

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is designed for your hard-working, large displacement, high-horsepower 2-cycle engine. High temperature protection is necessary for higher horsepower engines. High temperatures in an engine can cause loss of lubrication, carbon deposits, piston-scuffing, and pre-ignition. The combination of synthetic ester base oils and a premium, ashless performance package in Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil provides protection for high horsepower applications that require approved NMMA TC-W3® oil.
Benefits:
Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil is recommended for use in those makes and models of water-cooled, 2-cycle engines with direct injection systems, oil injection systems or those requiring use of a pre-mix. It is recommended for and meets the warranty requirements of Johnson/Evinrude, Mercury Marine, Yamaha, Suzuki, Force/US Marine, Mariner and others requiring NMMA TC-W3® oils.

Pennzoil Marine® Full Synthetic 2-Cycle Oil:

Performs in extreme conditions.
Provides excellent lubricity to protect against piston- and cylinder-scuffing.
Helps protect against ring sticking, exhaust port deposits, and spark plug fouling.
Biodegradable and low aquatic toxicity.
Recommended for direct injection engines.
If u want to read all of it, type in Sarge, been testing .

Last edited:
Thank you CD! I'm not sure if your post in in defence of using the TC-W3 ONLY in outdoor power equipment or to warn against using it in OPE.

Yes, I have read similar threads and I also read Pennzoil's web site pertaining to their Marine TC-W3 Syn and syn/blend. The Penn site doesn't mention(IIRC) anything about using their Marine TC-W3 in air cooled OPE, ONLY in Marine Water Cooled Engines.

I bought the "syn/blend" TC-W3(ONLY) but(BUT), wanted to use it for air coolded OPE, not water cooled PWC. This is the difference that the other members are concerned about regarding my original post.

What is your opinion of using the Syn/Blend Marine TC-W3 in air cooled OPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back