New: Shell Rotella T6 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
What is the rationale for using these oils in gas burning cars?
SM rated and Wallyworld has jugs at a good price. Eliminated the mourning little startup puff on a high miles Toyota in my "fleet" and reduced oil consumption to almost zero.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
What is the rationale for using these oils in gas burning cars?

Non-roller lifters with high spring pressures in older gasoline engines. Really that's the sole reason. I use it in my Jeep 4.0s, and I had been running it in the old 440 v8s until I switched them over to M1 0w40, which also has a strong enough additive pack for their cams and spring pressures.

Its not even really necessary for the Jeeps- they'd do fine on any SN 5w30 oil out there. But its a little extra insurance, and the 4.0 actually turns in (usually) better objective UOA numbers and subjective sound/smoothness on 40-weight oil anyway. Its a little gasoline engine that thinks its a Cummins when you look at its torque curve.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Would assume it will stay at SM unless it drops the current zzdp levels.

I'm not sure about that...

As I understand it, 40-weight and heavier oils have a different ZN/P limit than 30-wt and lighter oils under the SN rating. That's why M1 0w40 has almost the same amount of ZN/P as does Rotella. M1 15w50 has *more* than Rotella. Both are SN oils.

My recollection was that Rotella T6 was ALREADY SN, but I can't find any corroboration online so maybe I'm wrong.

Interesting product placement. Will lead to the T5 0w- products being phased out. Should be a reasonable product for extreme wearther places (ie - parts of the Canadian and AK markets that truly see viciously cold weather).

I predict it will become the next "gotta have" lube for just about everyone who labors under the belief that their little diesel or gasser-turbo cannot survive those uber-cold starts in TN, and AL, and NM, and VA, and WV, and ...

You know; because it's "better".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Interesting product placement. Will lead to the T5 0w- products being phased out. Should be a reasonable product for extreme wearther places (ie - parts of the Canadian and AK markets that truly see viciously cold weather).

I predict it will become the next "gotta have" lube for just about everyone who labors under the belief that their little diesel or gasser-turbo cannot survive those uber-cold starts in TN, and AL, and NM, and VA, and WV, and ...

-20F isn't out of the question where I live ... -30F isn't out of the question where my parents live (only 70 miles away).

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

-20F isn't out of the question where I live ... -30F isn't out of the question where my parents live (only 70 miles away).

Are you speaking of windchill or ambient temps?

You might RARELY get down that cold ambient, but those would not be typical aveage lows.

It ONCE got down to -36F in Indy several years ago, but our average low is only +18F.

Where is "CNY"; is that central New York state?

On a gas vehicle that is inherently rich running, is fuel dilution from gasoline helped the same way with the same additives as when diesel is present in the crankcase? In other words an oil that is supposed to help with this work for a gas turbo the same way as with a turbo diesel?

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Finn
Will it have gasoline engine rating?

Yes, the article said CJ-4/SN.

Thanks, looked through the article twice and still missed that part.
blush.gif

Miller88

The average low temps for some small towns in the lower/mid Adirondak NY area are this:
Indian Lake: +5F
Little Falls: +9F
Those are avearge lows. There will occasionally be temps colder than that; true. The low temp sigma is fairly consistent in that general area.

I looked up the NOAA temp data logs for the last three years for several towns in the Adirondak area (all the way up to Massena), using January/February temps (the coldest months), and applied rng (random number generation) to select dates for 45 samples. The standard deviation allows 95% of the temps in that area around no lower than -7 degrees F. It will get colder, but not with any regularity whatsoever. In fact, it typically will only be near zero F or higher. Last year was a warmer year; 2009 was a colder year; that is why I used multiple data years and dates.

In fact, the RECORD lows for those two towns are as follows:
Little Falls: -30 in 1943
Indian Lake: -39 in 1957

You stated this:
Quote:
"-20F isn't out of the question where I live ... -30F isn't out of the question where my parents live"

I guess this would depend upon how you define "out of the question" ...
Is is possible that temps will get that cold? Yes.
Is it probable that temps will get that cold? No.
Is it "normal" that temps well get that cold? Absolutely not.

Are you colder than TN, AL, WV? Yes, you are. But you are not so cold as to warrant the necessity of a synthetic 0w-40 product; you don't "need" such a product in that general area. Those very few days when it might be below -10, will not result in automatic refusal of the engine to start, or assured destruction of bearings.

Obviously, the specific application to which you might apply your lubes would have impact on this discussion; older IDI diesel engines with weak batteries, for example. Or a manually started snow blower (pull-start) that is stored outside. Those might warrant a thinner start lube; ignition dependent, of course.

But my generall comment a few posts back stands, and your example is proof. When speaking of temps, most folks don't really research the factual basis for selecting a lube. They merely buy the percieved "best" presuming that they "need" it.

This product (Rotella T6 0w-40) is going to displace the T5 0W products in extreme north markets. And I seriously doubt that the new product is so much "better" than 99% of us would ever be able to distinguish tangible differences in cold start functions, down here. Yes - there a select few in upper Canada and Alaska who will definitely benefit, but not any of us in the lower 48.

I would entertain any facts you have to challenge my analysis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back