Started the clean phase on my Turbo Caravan today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typically everyone that reports a lame pressure reading has it go away in the rinse phase. It's happened several times before by newer A-Rx users.

Life is good
smile.gif

Update 3:

Changed out the ARX today. Had 1502 miles. Usage was ~1/2 qt. as reported earlier. New fill is 5 qts. ST 15-40 with a motorcraft FL1A filter. Also added 6oz. of FP for the first dose.

I'm saving the 3 filters, before, during, and after ARX. Will cut them apart and take pictures when I get a chance.

Was having ocasional problems at first startup with stalling, been doing that for a couple of years. I know it is the idle air motor, but it hasn't been enough of a problem to bother changing it. I wonder if FP o the ARX treatment will have any effect on it.

When changing the oil, I noticed that the varnish buildup on the inside of the filler cap had softened. Took a paper towel and wiped it out. It was nearly all removed. That stuff had been there for as long as I have owned the van, and it was hard. ARX had softened it to the point that I could just wipe it out. Impressive....

3000 miles to go...
smile.gif

Wayne
patriot.gif

Nice to hear that you have gotten some real cleaning going on here. Cleaning will continue during the rinse phase. The oil filler cap gets crusted from vapors and occasional splash. This is an area that ARX would struggle to clean. By that I mean it is not part of the real oil flow of the oiling system. I would say that your oil sending unit will provide more stable readings once you get into the rinse phase. Sounds as though the oil burning has stopped. Perhaps cleaned up the ring packs, at least the oil contol ring. Let us know how things go in the rinse phase. To me it seems a bit strange that the motor uses a quart of oil early in a change and does not there after. Do you cycle the motor long enough to fill the filter, when you change it out?

quote:

Originally posted by Rick20:
Nice to hear that you have gotten some real cleaning going on here. Cleaning will continue during the rinse phase. The oil filler cap gets crusted from vapors and occasional splash. This is an area that ARX would struggle to clean. By that I mean it is not part of the real oil flow of the oiling system. I would say that your oil sending unit will provide more stable readings once you get into the rinse phase. Sounds as though the oil burning has stopped. Perhaps cleaned up the ring packs, at least the oil contol ring. Let us know how things go in the rinse phase. To me it seems a bit strange that the motor uses a quart of oil early in a change and does not there after. Do you cycle the motor long enough to fill the filter, when you change it out?

I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying. The engine has never used any oil. On a normal 3K oci the oil would be down a pint, (1/2Qt.), never had to add any between changes. I never bothered to check the oil between changes, unless I was going on a trip, just wasn't necessary.

Now with the ARX treatment, I was a little nervous about it so I was checking the oil every week or so, that's when I noticed the oddity on oil usage. now that I'm into the rinse phase, I'll be watching it closely just to be sure that all is going ok. After the rinse, I'll switch back to the Rotella T 5-40 Syn. I will run the Rotella until it is a quart low to see just how many miles it will go.

All in all, at 191K miles, I think my mini is doing very well. It has never run better, it seems to like all the personal attention I have given it this year.
wink.gif

Wayne
patriot.gif

Ya! I remember driving one night in my SS and hearing a mean turbo whine and nasty blow-off valve and i said to my friend "i swear its from that minivan dude!" And this turbo mini comes FLYIN by with wide tires on daytona Z rims... we eventually pulled over and talked to him, super nice guy, it had a 5 speed conversion, HUGE isuzu NPR truck intercooler, and lots of serious engine and suspension mods.

Update #4

Went to Goldsboro Wednesday to pich up another car, 88 Lebaron GTC T2 convertible. Needs tranny work, otherwise kicks * . This was a ~365 mile round trip. Have about 1500 miles on the rinse now. Oil is still at the full mark. Definately a change for the better here. Oil pressure seems to have stabilized some also, still not where it was before the ARX, but I'm more comfortable with it now.

On another note, I am experincing a misfiring problem under load, like climbing a grade at 70mph pulling 4-5psi boost, with a 3200lb car on the back... I'll probably post more on this in the repair forum later.

Wish all a happy and fruitful new year.

Wayne in Charlotte
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back