Syntec 5w-30 in MK4 VW 2.0L 8V?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My moms Golf needs an oil change soon. Its been run with Castrol Syntec 5w-40 since we got it a few years ago. Most Vw guys I know only run 5w-40 and say to run nothing else in these motors, but Wally world has a good deal on a 5L jug of 5w-30 Syntec and they don't have it in 5w-40. So I'm wondering if I can get away with running syntec 5w-30 all winter?

Thanks

A lot of VW dealers use GTX 5w30 on the older 2.slow motors. Of course we know that it is not the correct oil, but they seem to survive alright.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do

If you check the Castrol oil finder I think it says Edge 5/40, so it is probably best to stick with that recommendation if you are doing the fully OCI.
It's worth joining a VW forum to ask about alternative oils, as some of the VW's are fussy about which oil is used, whilst others are not. I've seen quite of few VW UOA results where the oil was changed from a 5/30 to a 5/40 and the results were better with the latter.

Last edited:
This engine will perform fine on Syntec 5W-30. You may experience some oil consumption but as for engine wear there's nothing to worry about.

I'm in the same dilemma as you with my 2k Jetta 2.0. Dealer says to use dino 5w30 GTX as it is non-turbo. Manual says you can use it too if 5w40 is not available. My VW mechanic says use 10w40 or 20w50 since I live in a hot climate. He He says 30 is to thin. My Bentley repair guide says use API SJ 5w40, 10w40, or 20w40. Use only 5w30 for topping up. I know 5w40 is hard to find and it's all synthetic.

Based on suggestions here though, I'd go for Rotella T6 at WMT since it is 5w40 with SM classification that covers SJ for my Jetta.

Originally Posted By: gregoron
I'm in the same dilemma as you with my 2k Jetta 2.0. Dealer says to use dino 5w30 GTX as it is non-turbo. Manual says you can use it too if 5w40 is not available. My VW mechanic says use 10w40 or 20w50 since I live in a hot climate. He He says 30 is to thin. My Bentley repair guide says use API SJ 5w40, 10w40, or 20w40. Use only 5w30 for topping up. I know 5w40 is hard to find and it's all synthetic.

Based on suggestions here though, I'd go for Rotella T6 at WMT since it is 5w40 with SM classification that covers SJ for my Jetta.

Your dealer says to use a dino 5w-30 in a 2000? A VW that new I would only use a synthetic oil 5w-30. Anything MK3 and before I would feel fine using a dino.

Originally Posted By: hemitom
In our winter climate there is no problem running the syntec 5w30.

Thanks. Went ahead and did the oil change in the golf this weekend and so far the engines humming along fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back