5w-30 or 10w-49 for high mileage Jetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think I would use 10W48...tops... Maybe 10W47...
lol.gif

No I disagree. I think 10W50 would be too thick, but 10W49 would be just right.

Ok seriously though, we should give OP a break, the "9" key is right next to the "0" key and you can't edit your posts title.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: uart
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think I would use 10W48...tops... Maybe 10W47...
lol.gif

No I disagree. I think 10W50 would be too thick, but 10W49 would be just right.

Ok seriously though, we should give OP a break, the "9" key is right next to the "0" key and you can't edit your posts title.
smile.gif

I know, but it was just too good to pass up.

Lol, I am typing from my puny phone thus the error. Been searching frantically how to edit the title but no option for it. And this is my first post too so dang!

Now if only the mod could change it?

T6 would be a great choice...5W40 is a good viscosity in a Euro car, particularly one that uses oil. The 300E in my sig was running T6, and using more than 1Q/1K (a leaking HG...since fixed) and the T6 is a reasonably priced oil, good TBN and viscosity...I am using Syntec right now, but I got that on sale...

Last edited:
@fdcg47, that's what I thought too initially as I read that 5w30 is good enough for VAG cars if you don't drive over 100mph for tens of miles. But, it seems the majority still use 40 weight.

Yeah my 2.slow is a low maint engine but I want to get it back to original spec. I bought the car used with 87k on it and it was modded. My guess is that it was abused. I've now taken the role of a car whisperer and just trying to get it back to original as much as possible.

It's a rewarding car to drive though. And, I disagree that the 5 sp version is slow. The gearing is right for highway driving as well as street racing.

Last edited:
There was a now banned member, Audi Junkie, who posted a number of UOAs of VAG turbo engines that had been run 5-7K on API spec synthetic thirty grades that had no claim to any VW spec.
These oils did just fine.
This member posted a lot of very useful information but also became quite irate with anyone who disagreed with him.
If an API 5W-30 synthetic will work in a turbo VW on moderate drains, it should work just fine in a 2.0.
If you really want to run a forty, I'd recommend Maxlife 10W-40.
It works great in my old BMW, which has considerably higher specific output that does a VW 2.0.
I don't think you need to go to the expense of a 5W-40, which will be at least a Grp III oil.
OTOH, if you decide to run a 5W-30, you can always find some kind of a deal on some brand of Grp III 5W-30, while 5W-40 is rarely less than $5.00/qt.
If you're having to add oil, a cheaper oil that will work well only makes sense.

@fdcg27, was that banned member John Wilkinson who wrote this article:

http://www.vwforum.com/forums/f15/all-you-wanted-know-about-vw-audi-oil-15348/

That's what I was reading up on and thinking that it made sense. Dr. Haas writes that too in this site.

Anyways, went down to local WMT to buy the T6 or SynPower 5w40 but they were out of stock. The gallon T6 costs $24. Did not want to buy T6 in quarts as it is 7.41. Will look around first.

If you're settled on using a 5W-40, I'd buy the Rotella over the Synpower.
The Synpower has a weaker add pack.
Some Walmarts also stock Delo 5W-40.

I changed my oil finally to Supertech 10w-40* conv. Rotella T6 was not in stock and I only have this weekend to do it. I was surprised by it when I topped up quart a month ago. There was less consumption and my engine idled better and was smoother and more responsive at high speeds. I had originally put in PYB 10w-40. Thanks for the advice everyone. I thought I'd go cheaper first then work up if the oil doesn't work out at next OCI.

Next project is to convince the wife that I need a Pela oil extractor to make future OCI's easier.

*Edit: 5 qt jug had WPP stamped underneath.

Last edited:
My two boys own vw jettas. For the 1.8t w/ 190k miles, I will only use a synthetic w/ 5000 miles OCI. For the 2.Slo w/ 140k miles I use a 50/50 mix of Valvoline 5w-30 and 10w-40. The mix works out to a light 40w and burns much less oil than when using 5w-30 straight. I'm fairly sure the 2.Slo is one of the models with the inverted piston ring and it will always burn a bit of oil no matter what. Also if I recall correctly, VW was not strictly enforcing the predominantly 5w-40 502 spec if you read the manual. 5w-30 was acceptable in the manual, but as it turned out later, not ideal in the case of the 1.8t, but I doubt the 2.Slo requires anything more than a 5w-30 if the faulty ring wasn't driving issue in consumption. It only makes about 115 hp.

Last edited:
I look at it this way, the oil consumption is a "feature" of the 2.slow since it allows you to top up with different oils between OCI's. :)

I did try to thin out my oil three top ups ago by adding a quart of 10w-30 to the original 10w-40 oil. The engine seemed to make more noise and less power going up hill. But this could be because I used different brand dino oil.

Last edited:
For the VW normally aspirated 2.SLOW any 10w-30 or 10w-40 is just fine. Especially if you live in temperate climate zones. Only if you live in extremely cold locations should you use a 5w-30. Owners manuals specifically state this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back