Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle:
2006 Scion tC 2.4L 5 speed.

Oil:
Valvoline NextGen 5w30 Conventional.

Oil additives:
None

Make up oil added: One (1) quart was added during the run.

Engine oil capacity:
4.1qts

Oil filter:
TINY Mobil 1 (much smaller then the OEM filter)

Air filter:
Amsoil EA cone air filter

USE: Mostly highway/city @ 70/30. I was redlining and running the car HARD up till the sample / oil change (to get ready for winter (wanted fresh oil in the block)).

The previous oil was VNG in the same grade that i ran for 3,000 miles after using Amsoil during the previous runs. A Mobil 1 oil filter was used during the first VNG run. The same filter was reused a second time during this current run - so the oil filter has 8,000 miles on it. I drained and reinstalled the oil filter AGAIN for another 7k run (for a total of 15,000 miles, which is what the filter is rated for) and then i will gladly trash it after getting my money's worth out of it.

I started using the VNG because i have a TON of it from the FAR deals and wanted to experiment with it. I ran it for 5k to compare to the Amsoil OE that i started with last year. I'm glad to see the VNG holding up well to the abuse that i put it through on a daily basis.

For the money ($0.00) it is definitely a better value then the Amsoil oils i've been using. Right?
grin2.gif

Comments are welcomed.

06TCValvolineNexGen5020miles.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the Magnetic oil drain plug collecting all kinds of stuff...

IMG_0004-1.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Code:

OIL Valvoline NextGen 5w30

MILES IN USE 5,020 miles

MILES 102,713

SAMPLE TAKEN 11/03/2012

Make up Oil 1 qt

Universal Average

ALUMINUM 1 3

CHROMIUM 0 1

IRON 13 15

COPPER 1 1

LEAD 1 1

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 6 99

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 0 1

BORON 6 68

SILICON 16 19

SODIUM 272 42

CALCIUM 1952 2748

MAGNESIUM 9 51

PHOSPHORUS 774 754

ZINC 937 841

BARIUM 0 0

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.7 56-63

cSt @ 212ºF 9.28 9.1-11.3

FLASHPOINT ºF 410 >365

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.3
TBN 2.7 >1.0

TAN 1.7

Looks very good to me and for $12.XX oil change,my local WM has $3 off 5 qts. jug NG conv. and NG Max life, is really a great oil for 7500 miles in an "easy-on-oil" engine .

GL

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Azeem
Looks very good to me and for $12.XX oil change,my local WM has $3 off 5 qts. jug NG conv. and NG Max life, is really a great oil for 7500 miles in an "easy-on-oil" engine .

GL

Well the oil change really didn't even cost that much.

Oil was FREE after rebate and the M1 oil filter was $6.50 after AAP online discount code.

That report looks excellent! Seems consumption is down a bit as well. I would love to see a report of Maxlife Nextgen for 7500 miles in that engine.

I'll probably run this current fill for 7,500 since based on this report, it definitely looks possible.

At 68,000 you had 0 makeup oil after 5,000 miles. Gradual increase until 3 qts with the AZO which seems high in paying $ for a 10,000 mile OC.

Present oil 1 qt after 5000 miles. What was the history on the engine from new.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
At 68,000 you had 0 makeup oil after 5,000 miles. Gradual increase until 3 qts with the AZO which seems high in paying $ for a 10,000 mile OC.

The very first run with Amsoil OE was without any makeup oil but the oil level was VERY low during the oil change. The dipstick was almost dry.

This engine has been burning about a quart every 5k miles for a while.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
So, it basically performed identical to Amsoil OE?

By the looks of it, yes. The OE can be had for $4.50 a quart vs the VNG @ $4-5 a quart retail.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay

The very first run with Amsoil OE was without any makeup oil but the oil level was VERY low during the oil change. The dipstick was almost dry.

This engine has been burning about a quart every 5k miles for a while.

By the looks of it, yes. The OE can be had for $4.50 a quart vs the VNG @ $4-5 a quart retail.

I think in a 5qt jug it's less $.

Do you have any idea what is causing the oil consumption?

Beats me buster, perhaps it's the constant redlining, cruising @ 4,000rpm on the highway for hours on end, or just the natural design of the engine (i've seen a lot about oil burning on the interwebz with this engine).

It doesn't bother me one bit though. I check the oil every few weeks and add 1/4th quart if needed (based on the driving conditions) and call it a day. It refreshes the additives in the oil which i think is a good thing, esp if you're doing extended OCIs.

Thanks Artem, sounds like my Accord. Same exact thing. It's mostly engine design and how you drive. Sound similar.

^A lot of the high-rev japanese designed engines do this...especially when you drive them hard!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Great looking report.
I've used Nextgen conventional as well in my car, and although this is not the same engine it makes me think my UOA would probably look similar. Nice.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Great looking report.
I've used Nextgen conventional as well in my car, and although this is not the same engine it makes me think my UOA would probably look similar. Nice.

I always thought that the 8th gen Civics needed a synthetic or a synthetic blend in order for the oil to handle 6-8k miles safely but based on these results, it definitely looks like it should be able to handle 7,500 mile OCIs if the service isn't SEVERE.

Originally Posted By: skyship

It sure looks that way and this conventional oil does not even have any Moly in it.

and is 50% recycled oil!
thumbsup2.gif
grin2.gif

Yeah, the overkill use of Amsoil wasn't necessarily needed. It's all about what you want to use. However, the synthetics still offer a value and some security/potential to outperform the conventional oils. However, on paper the '1' sample we have appears to do alright.

Why overkill? I used OE to set a decent baseline following the factory recommended 5k OCIs. Then i proceeded to extend the OCIs by using higher quality lube from Amsoil's "Signature Series" line. Based on the results, i could probably keep going, adding makeup oil along the way up to 15k+.

Since i wasn't seeing the ROI from the expensive lube that was being burned at such a large volume, I'm looking into other alternatives, and that's where the Valvoline comes in.

Like i said, i have a ton of the stuff from all the FAR deals these past 3-4 months and figured that it was time to use up all that free oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back