Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the most part, I'd have to agree that extra additives aren't normally needed in a well maintained motor. But you do run across cars that have been well maintained that end up needing something.

My 96 Grand Prix I feel is a pretty good example of this. It was a dealer demo car for the first year or of it's life. Oil was changed every 3k at the dealership. Then the previous owners to me bought it and changed the oil every 2500-3000 miles with Pennzoil. I don't know how the car was used at the dealership, but for the previous owners, it was a commuter car. All the miles were highway, so the OCI was rather short considering. Then I bought the car with 130k miles on it. Somewhere about 140k miles, after I had been running Mobil 1 changing it every 3k miles as well...I had a lifter get stuck. From everything thats on here, a diet of Pennzoil and Mobil 1 should have really left the engine very clean. And if you looked through the filler cap, it was quite clean looking. Unfortunately, the lifter was still ticking very loudly. Dumped a can of Seafoam in and in a short while that tick turned into a light tap, then was completely gone within a few minutes.

Now I could have tore into the motor and replaced all the lifters...but I figured I'd try this first. Now I'm at 219k miles, and all is well.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

As a cleaner, Seafoam works reasonably well. That's what you get with something based on stoddard solvent.... a cleaner.

As a lubricant, well, I'm betting it is no better than WD40 based on the addition of bright stock to the stoddard solvent.

Who said Seafoam was to be used as a lubricant? Just because some of us talk about adding it to the crankcase doesn't mean it is being added as a lubricant.

Seafoam is a cleaner. moisture remover, and fuel stabilizer period and end of story. Haven't seen anyone say otherwise. Just because it isn't oil however does not mean it will harm the engine if used properly.

Have you ever used it in your crankcase and had it do something bad? Ever used it in there ever? If not then why are you telling others not to or cracking wise about those of us that have?

Many of us have used it in the crankcase, and done so for years and years, with nothing but great results. Believe it or not many of us are just as anal about our vehicles as you are.

I have never had Seafoam generate any kind of code.

And every engine that has a traditional style PCV (not this Volvo.. I am scared to put Seafoam in its crankcase, though some do for its PCV "system") that I have let it suck up Seafoam through either it or the brake booster line, half a can then sit for an hour on a hot engine.. has 1. Had the smoke show and 2. Ran sooo smoooooth.

I almost with I could with the Volvo but I am doing other things to her. (Redline SI-1 is a go.)

P0420 here. Had I known its mostly lube (pale oil), would have never used it in the gas. naphtha is the solvent in small amounts. It gets rave reviews, but on paper there's just not enough solvent to make a difference. If you think its made a difference somehow thats all that matters.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
P0420 here. Had I known its mostly lube (pale oil), would have never used it in the gas. naphtha is the solvent in small amounts. It gets rave reviews, but on paper there's just not enough solvent to make a difference. If you think its made a difference somehow thats all that matters.

Isn't that where it works the best?

I just don't understand. I thought it was a "moderate" strength cleaner. MMO is a "low" strength cleaner, and B12 is a "high" strength cleaner (with Toluene.) It seems that Seafoam is the one you can "feel" when you add it to a tank. That, and Redline SI-1. I used to use Gumout.. until I discovered Redline SI-1.

Now, I only think about Redline SI-1 and SeaFoam (which costs a lot) and leave the others alone.

About to visit the "make your own SeaFoam" thread in Gas Additives. And it still never ruined a car or threw a code for me! Even when heavily overdosed.. if it does "nothing" then ODing... ?

The 20% IPA (fuel stabilizer) boosts octane levels giving you the "feel it" for a tankful.

I used it as directed, fell for the internet hype. My bad.

Seafoam DOES have it's uses. It is a strong solvent.
I have no problems using it in the gas tank, even though there are far better products nowadays - it's a third choice.
Sometimes in a lawnmower crankcase for a few minutes that has been neglected.

Lifter sticking - Really rare.
Worn or maladjusted lifters/cams - very common.
Seafoam will not build up metal.
We are not using non detergent oils in the 1940s.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

As a cleaner, Seafoam works reasonably well. That's what you get with something based on stoddard solvent.... a cleaner.

As a lubricant, well, I'm betting it is no better than WD40 based on the addition of bright stock to the stoddard solvent.

Who said Seafoam was to be used as a lubricant? Just because some of us talk about adding it to the crankcase doesn't mean it is being added as a lubricant.

Well, the role of what goes in the crankcase is to lubricate the engine, hence, lubricant. So, if you are using Seafoam in the crankcase, it is being used as a lubricant.

Quote:
Seafoam is a cleaner. moisture remover, and fuel stabilizer period and end of story.

Seafoam is stoddard solvent and bright stock with a hint of wintergreen for fragrance. Dress it up all you want, it is very similar to WD40. But I don't see people on here claiming that WD40 should be put in your crankcase.

Quote:
Haven't seen anyone say otherwise. Just because it isn't oil however does not mean it will harm the engine if used properly.

The fact that it isn't oil is the exact reason as to why it shouldn't be used in the crankcase.

Quote:
Have you ever used it in your crankcase and had it do something bad?

No, because I don't put things that aren't oil in my crankcase.

Quote:
Ever used it in there ever?

See above.

Quote:
If not then why are you telling others not to or cracking wise about those of us that have?

1. Manufacturers specify to not put things that aren't oil in the crankcase.

2. In a device that is pressure and boundary lubricated the only thing I want circulating in that device is a lubricant designed to do just that.

3. If somebody spins a rod bearing on a car under warranty because they thinned their already thin 5w20 with Seafoam in search for its magical abilities and the manufacturer voids their warranty and they are on the hook for a new engine, is Seafoam going to buy them a new engine? Are you?

Quote:
Many of us have used it in the crankcase, and done so for years and years, with nothing but great results. Believe it or not many of us are just as anal about our vehicles as you are.

I would never advocate the use of any product that could potentially void somebody's warranty when used in the crankcase. That's my position and it is a safe (and admittedly conservative) one.

Seafoam through the vacuum line, as a piston soak, as a cleaner....etc, those uses I am perfectly fine with and with people recommending them.

I've used seafoam in the crankcase for the full 3,000 miles it said you could and only did the 1.5oz per quart of oil like it says and had no problem with it and even made my oil stay cleaner the second time I did it, but now I use Amsoil Signature Series and do not use any additives with it at all, so I can get 10k to 15k miles out of it.

Lets compare seafoam to another product...
Code:

Seafoam

Pale Oil 40.00 - 60.00% (lube) cas 64742-54-7

Naphtha 25.00 - 35.00% (solvent/cleaner) cas 64742-49-0

IPA 10.00 - 20.00% (fuel stabilizer) cas 67-63-0

STA-BIL/Fuel stabilizer

Proprietary 5% ? cas 000000-00-8

Naphtha 95% (solvent/cleaner) cas 64742-53-6

Naphtha is a class of products containing varying degrees of naphtha, as well as various other chemicals (what the cas# refers to) If Naphtha is the primary solvent in both products, which one would give better results? 30% or 95%?

MMO smells like wintergreen too.

There is some in it.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
MMO smells like wintergreen too.

There is some in it.

Yup. IIRC, it is majority light pale oil though, something like 2cSt with some stoddard solvent and some oil of wintergreen.

I prefer Seafoam to Sta-Bil. I've used it for 20 years and have nothing but good things to say about it for that purpose. Sta-Bil left evaporated gas darker, with a thicker consistency, while Seafoam didn't do either.

I've used Seafoam in motorcycles for decades as well. It has cleaned out varnish and gunk from old bikes recently purchased and made them run like silk.

I've used it in the crankcase for hundreds of miles with no ill effects. I've sucked it up through vacuum lines with no ill effects.

I've used it. I have no issues with it. If someone is basing their OPINION on a general, personal aversion to anything other than oil in the crankcase, that's one thing. Asserting them vehemently, and somewhat snobbishly, as FACT, in the face of real users with real stories, is just plain silly.

And we all know what opinions are worth.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I prefer Seafoam to Sta-Bil. I've used it for 20 years and have nothing but good things to say about it for that purpose. Sta-Bil left evaporated gas darker, with a thicker consistency, while Seafoam didn't do either.

I've used Seafoam in motorcycles for decades as well. It has cleaned out varnish and gunk from old bikes recently purchased and made them run like silk.

I've used it in the crankcase for hundreds of miles with no ill effects. I've sucked it up through vacuum lines with no ill effects.

I've used it. I have no issues with it. If someone is basing their OPINION on a general, personal aversion to anything other than oil in the crankcase, that's one thing. Asserting them vehemently, and somewhat snobbishly, as FACT, in the face of real users with real stories, is just plain silly.

Just a couple of points:

1. My OPINION goes hand-in-hand with the recommendations of the manufacturers. Who clearly state you can void your warranty dumping something other than an approved lubricant in your crankcase.

2. My OPINION is also based on years of experience using nothing but good oil, changed at an appropriate interval in the crankcase of everything ranging from a 425HP Ford Y-block to lawn mowers. This includes tear downs for upgrades and gasket replacements.

The difference here is that my opinion and recommendation doesn't potentially void anybody's warranty. That makes my advice safe.

The issue you and others advocating the use of this product in the crankcase have with my position here is that I'm being vocal about it. You appear to think that just because you've used it in your crankcase with no ill effects means that it is safe to deal this recommendation out to other people without the requisite disclaimer about following the owners manual while under warranty and that you aren't liable if your advice causes epic engine failure.

The difference between my opinion and yours sir, is that mine considers the recommendations of the manufacturer as part of it, whilst yours does not. This makes my advice safer than yours. That's fine if you don't agree with it, but it is no less valuable than your faceless advice and Internet testimony which carry no more weight than my own.

Edit: I will also add that I have absolutely nothing against the use of the product as a stabilizer, cleanser or soak. I've mentioned that many times. I am not trying to be rude, snobby or the host of other adjectives I'm sure you'd love to use to describe me here. I'm simply trying to be clear about my position on the use of additives, particularly those that are solvent-based in the crankcase and my reasoning behind that position which has everything to due with the liability of dealing out advice that could potentially cause issues for those under warranty if something bad were to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love all the different views on this thread, well most on this site. That is why I am on this site several times per day.

My take on this (and I don't know all that much) is they would not advertise it can be put in this or that (tank, pan, injectors, etc), and open themselves up for a lawsuit if it will destroy things. There is no company going to put themselves in that position. With that said, I would say it can be done under their recommendations and not a [censored] thing will go wrong. I also believe it takes a heck of A LOT to hurt or destroy an engine of today! I have seen worse things done to engines or even put in them than this Seafoam or MMO or whatever. Heck, I was given a car some years ago from someone. Long before I had an idea of even checking oil or any of that. I was happy I was getting something free. The car sat dormant in the outdoor NY weather for over 3 years. We jumped it and it stated (bingo not even a battery needed) and continued to run. Change the oil?? At that age all I cared about was having money to put gas in it to drive. Well I had the car well over a year. It started perfect each morning. Check the oil, not once! The only reason the car was not held on to longer was a cousin crashed it on me when I let him use it. The engine was still purring fine and the junker was happy to be getting something he could yank the engine and resell. Who know who it went to and how long it kept running?

My question is this, why would you add Seafoam or any engine cleaning product to a new engine that's already clean? I never had the need to add a cleaning product to a new engine under warranty that was running fine. OTOH if I had a problem with an older vehicle, or needed to clean an engine, I'd have no problem adding either one of my favorite engine cleaners to the oil.

Although I've never added Seafoam to oil I'm pretty sure it won't wreck the engine. If it did we'd know it by now. JMO

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible

Just a couple of points:

1. My OPINION goes hand-in-hand with the recommendations of the manufacturers. Who clearly state you can void your warranty dumping something other than an approved lubricant in your crankcase.

2. My OPINION is also based on years of experience using nothing but good oil, changed at an appropriate interval in the crankcase of everything ranging from a 425HP Ford Y-block to lawn mowers. This includes tear downs for upgrades and gasket replacements.

The difference here is that my opinion and recommendation doesn't potentially void anybody's warranty. That makes my advice safe.

The issue you and others advocating the use of this product in the crankcase have with my position here is that I'm being vocal about it. You appear to think that just because you've used it in your crankcase with no ill effects means that it is safe to deal this recommendation out to other people without the requisite disclaimer about following the owners manual while under warranty and that you aren't liable if your advice causes epic engine failure.

The difference between my opinion and yours sir, is that mine considers the recommendations of the manufacturer as part of it, whilst yours does not. This makes my advice safer than yours. That's fine if you don't agree with it, but it is no less valuable than your faceless advice and Internet testimony which carry no more weight than my own.

Edit: I will also add that I have absolutely nothing against the use of the product as a stabilizer, cleanser or soak. I've mentioned that many times. I am not trying to be rude, snobby or the host of other adjectives I'm sure you'd love to use to describe me here. I'm simply trying to be clear about my position on the use of additives, particularly those that are solvent-based in the crankcase and my reasoning behind that position which has everything to due with the liability of dealing out advice that could potentially cause issues for those under warranty if something bad were to happen.

Very correct! But some folks never read the cars handbook or engine maintenance manual and prefer to read snake oil advertising.

The point I was making by comparison is clear. Even though STA-BIL has more than twice the solvent strength of Seafoam, people prefer the Seafoam. One can only assume its all in the name. With a name like Seafoam, its gotta be good.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

Well, the role of what goes in the crankcase is to lubricate the engine, hence, lubricant. So, if you are using Seafoam in the crankcase, it is being used as a lubricant.

Quote:
Seafoam is a cleaner. moisture remover, and fuel stabilizer period and end of story.

Seafoam is stoddard solvent and bright stock with a hint of wintergreen for fragrance. Dress it up all you want, it is very similar to WD40. But I don't see people on here claiming that WD40 should be put in your crankcase.

Quote:
Haven't seen anyone say otherwise. Just because it isn't oil however does not mean it will harm the engine if used properly.

The fact that it isn't oil is the exact reason as to why it shouldn't be used in the crankcase.

Quote:
Have you ever used it in your crankcase and had it do something bad?

No, because I don't put things that aren't oil in my crankcase.

Quote:
Ever used it in there ever?

See above.

Quote:
If not then why are you telling others not to or cracking wise about those of us that have?

1. Manufacturers specify to not put things that aren't oil in the crankcase.

2. In a device that is pressure and boundary lubricated the only thing I want circulating in that device is a lubricant designed to do just that.

3. If somebody spins a rod bearing on a car under warranty because they thinned their already thin 5w20 with Seafoam in search for its magical abilities and the manufacturer voids their warranty and they are on the hook for a new engine, is Seafoam going to buy them a new engine? Are you?

Quote:

I would never advocate the use of any product that could potentially void somebody's warranty when used in the crankcase. That's my position and it is a safe (and admittedly conservative) one.

Seafoam through the vacuum line, as a piston soak, as a cleaner....etc, those uses I am perfectly fine with and with people recommending them.

If you never have used it then your opinion means little. Especially to those who have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back