Please help select the best grease for ball joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have all new ball joints on my 02 tundra 4x4. I need to know what is the best grease and how often must I apply it. All 4 ball joints have grease fittings. I drive 20 mi. a week off road, and about 80 mi. hwy and city.

Thanks.

I was reading about this a couple of days ago. My understanding is that the viscosity of the base oil protects against shock loading. So, Valvoline Durablend has a ISO grade of 125 where Mobil 1 has 220. Mobil 1 is the better choice for shock loads.

The grease I bought was Chevron Ultra Duty EP with an ISO grade of 460. My local distributor was able to get me a case (10 tubes) for $40 or 4 cases for $110. I figured it was a good deal since I already had spent the $400 on suspension and steering components.

http://www.alexisoil.com/sites/default/files/chevron-ultra-duty-greases-ep-nlgi-0-1-2-pds_5.pdf

I use the Schaeffers 274 and have used greengrease when out of the Schaeffers. I find both of those to be excellent as well. I used Amsoil moly grease in the past for chassis lube, but that product has been replaced and I have not tried the newer stuff yet since very pleased with the Schaeffers for several years now.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
I like CAT Desert Gold for desert conditions.
[snip]

My current choice too.

5% MoS2 for excellent EP resistance and the thickener is a calcium sulfonate complex to resist water and rust better than probably any other soap base.

Originally Posted By: Fastr1
Amsoil polymeric #2

This is what mine are getting (as well as the tie rod ends) as soon as I change my wheels/tires over for the early arriving winter season.

I may even try their Polymeric Off-Road stuff in the late spring/summer.
wink.gif

Uhg... So many choices. Running Lucas Red Tacky right now and will likely replace with either Valvoline Ford blend, full synthetic or simply mobile1. Any way I'm going wrong with that plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back