How to tell if powersteering system has air in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Carnoobie aside, bleeding air from a ps system can be a true problem as I mentioned in my post above.

Carnoobie has a Honda. Honda PS systems are self-purging of air. The air is gone in less than a minute after a refill with no special effort.

I had done 2 TB D&R's on my 2008 Corolla when I bought it with 17K in 2009 using Mobil 1 ATF. Last week I did another (50K).
I was surprised there was so much grey stuff in the fluid. It has me wanting to do a full flush and possibly adding a filter.
Can anybody give me advice on the proper procedure?
Also, can I use Redline PSF?

How to know if a PS system needs to be "purged"? Lol.....just youtube, "power steering flush" and the majority of the videos call for a "bleed" or a series of "lock to lock" turns of the steering wheel before dropping the jacks(stand).....

Is this all a "myth" then....? Just change the fluid, and be done with it?
smile.gif

Either way, I'm still a fan of basting the reservoir every OCI....lol. I typically put the "old fluid" (about 6 oz....) into my gas tank next fill :X Lol. Gary Allen used ATF/MMO in his gas tank, I figured, 4-6 oz. can't hurt......I never suck it completely dry, just one "pump" of the baster to keep the fluid fresh.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ahoier
just youtube, "power steering flush" and the majority of the videos call for a "bleed" or a series of "lock to lock" turns of the steering wheel before dropping the jacks(stand).....

Lock-to-lock several times is the way it's done on a Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back