Your favorite spark plug gap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I changed my spark plugs recently and the mechanic gap them at 0.025''.
The car feels sluggish, and I removed one and there's this black soot around the electrode.

Before, I had them gap to 0.055'' to 0.060''. the color was like golden honey / grey ish, witch apparently is the best result when you read a spark plug.

My car is a 08 hyundai accent, gap spec for 0.044''

Is this the minimum gapping or I can go a bit larger gap than this.

Thanks!

Gap them at .044, following the OEM gap is best unless you are running something seriously modified.

AFAIK .025" has never been recommended for any modern engine with electronic ign, even the old points systems usually set at .032-.035"...

Assuming the coil has the capacity, a wider gap produces a hotter spark...

Uhh, typically aren't the specs for that on a sticker under the hood?
It was when I drove a car that had copper plugs that could have the gap adjusted.

With Platinum, dual Platinum, and Iridium plugs you can't adjust the gap. At least all the literature that I have read about them says it is a bad idea as you are more likely to break off or damage the portion of the plug that gives them such a long life.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Re: Your favorite spark plug gap?

That's a funny one. Spark plug gap isn't about picking favorites. You're supposed to gap it at what the engine mfg requires, no more, no less.

i guess the manual say 0.044" gap for iridium plug, if that is the case if you use stock plug you just follow stock gap.

if you use copper plug non iridium orbyour coil isnold then you may gap little closer. however black color can be from plug that is too cold or oil leak to combudtion chamber.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
08 Hyundai = iridium = pre-gapped = no touch.

Really? iridium? in a 08 accent, car came with copper. Would it be better on iridium.

I recently regapped a set of NGK platinums from .028 to .044 for a Camry. No drama. Just use the right tool. The little tool attached to circular wire gap measuring sets works fine. The car runs lots better at .044, the factory setting.

1 - 1.1 mm on std ignitions. 1.5mm and up is asking for big trouble and 0.7mm is a turbo gap. Denso or NGK Ir would be a big improvement if this car uses COP - if dual coil/negative firing only use double plat like denso TT or sim.

By the way Ir are copper. What you call "Copper" are actually Inconel or sim tough stainless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wolf_06
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
08 Hyundai = iridium = pre-gapped = no touch.

Really? iridium? in a 08 accent, car came with copper. Would it be better on iridium.

Maybe, maybe not. I know a lot of Dodges run better with coppers versus anything else. Use what the car came with I say

For the LM7 5.3L GM engine, newer spark plugs are now gapped at 0.044", not the 0.060" listed on the air filter box. I bought Denso LL's that came gapped @ 0.044".

I never seen a TSB on revised spark plug gaps for this engine but at the risk of damaging the iridium center, I never gapped it.

years ago i experimented with spark gap with stock dodge 318, 360. stock was.035. i found that .045 worked ok. but not sure i gained any thing. if you want to experiment, you have gone to far when when then it starts missing out at high rpm. now the capactive discharge ignition is completely different you can run them as much as.080. this is the old dealta mk 10. i have a real good story about that, but to long for here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back