Cheap battery insulation from engine heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
We knew that heat is the enemy of battery, if we can keep the battery cool in the hash engine compartment we may be able to extend the battery life a little longer.

I bought Reflectix Radiant Barrier in size 25' x 16" from Lowes few weeks ago with $10 off coupon, the final cost was $5.87 + tax.

I tried it today, I cut a 24" long piece then fold it in half to double the thickness, the final piece is 12" x 16".

In the Honda S2000 engine bay there is a metal insulation between the battery and engine, I place it between the battery and the metal insulation. I drove to WM and other places during lunch today, the total drive was about 25 miles in the 90+ heat.

When I came home I opened the hood to check how the Reflectix Heat Barrier work, I don't have infrared temperature gun I just use my hand to feel the temperature. The side facing the metal insulation/engine is very warm while the side facing the battery is very cool, the side of the battery is very cool too, while the top of the battery is a little warm.

This is just a test to see if/how the Reflectix Radiant Barrier works, I will cut it to correct size and wrap around the battery next week.

So far I use 2' out of 25' roll, so the cost is a little more than $1, I will keep that piece there and cut another piece to wrap around the battery, so the total cost is about $2.50-3.00.

Chrysler started doing that back in the 70s with their "Thermo Guard" shield.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I found it funny that my Neon has a cold air intake for the battery but not the motor... They also have a battery temp sensor that can control the rate of charging the battery. I haven't found the batteries last alot longer with all that but maybe down in the south it would have more effect.

I used the same stuff to insulate my garage door, which faces east. Cut it to fit into the panels and taped it with aluminum duct tape. Seems to have made a difference in summer.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: NHGUY

I found it funny that my Neon has a cold air intake for the battery but not the motor... They also have a battery temp sensor that can control the rate of charging the battery. I haven't found the batteries last alot longer with all that but maybe down in the south it would have more effect.

My mother's 97 Plymouth breeze still has the original battery! it helps to be out of the way by a bit, but I wonder if it has this temp sensor too.

great job of thinking out side the box, thats how we learn. my 2001 dakota has a temp sensor on the bottom of the bat. it is used for the bat temp to the computer. but is backup for air temp

I wonder how Reflectix will hold up to underhood temperatures, and at what point it ignites.

I think Insulating the battery from engine compartment heat is wise, I question the efficacy and safety of reflectix for that purpose.

This is not my actual car picture .
2007-Honda-S2000-Engine.jpg

If you look at the engine from the front of the car, near the firewall from the left to right is the battery, next is air conditioning tube, then a short heater hose, then the black painted metal plate about 18x20" long 18-20" deep, then the engine. The engine exhausts is of the left so the heat is intense in that area, that why Honda install the metal plate to reduce the heat toward battery and air conditioning pipe.

I put the Reflectix Radiant Barrier between the metal plate and air conditioning tube/heater hose, far away from the direct engine heat.

Yesterday ambient temperature was about 90+ F, after 25 miles the engine compartment was fairly hot, the coolant temperature was around 190-202 F. The side that faces the metal place/engine was fairly hot to the touch, the side that faces the battery was fairly cool, same for the battery. The inside of the Reflectix (I folded it to half to double the insulation) was barely warm.

I was thinking more in terms of convective heat and time, I wasn't doubting the radiant heat barrier qualities. I've made some custom front windshield shades with the stuff.

It says 180f is the max temp.

Quote:
Reflectix® Reflective Insulation, Radiant Barrier and Foil Tape can be installed in environments with a range of -60 degrees to 180 degrees F.

I've made front windshield shades for my S2000 with it too. Since the width is only 16", it fits the small S2000 windshield perfectly.

On the package it states the operating temperature at 250 degrees F. I think 180 degrees F on their website is more realistic. I think engine heat in most cars should be around 140-160 degrees F after a long drive with ambient temperature in the 90-100 degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back