Toyota WS vs. Toyota Type 4 fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

I have a 2005 Lexus GX 470 with. 4.7L V8 80k miles. I took it to a Lexus dealer to have the transmission flushed just a preventative measures. No problems with the tranny at all.
The dealer put in Type 4 fluid. When I got home..120 miles away. I noticed the mistake. I called the dealership and they said it needed WS fluid as I knew and told me to bring it back..UGH...Another 120 miles to the dealer.
I put 240 miles on the tranny with the wrong fluid. Did this damage my tranny?
Is Type 4 and WS compatible? They did another flush and put in WS fluid. The tranny seems to shift just fine.

Just wondering the long term affects of driving 240 miles on Type 4 fluid.

Thanks!

The GX470 has a very stout transmission, I think it will be just fine. Although I'd be tempted to get one more flush just to be on the safe side. And, I assume by flush you mean fluid exchange, correct?

Originally Posted By: exman123
Gang,

I have a 2005 Lexus GX 470 with. 4.7L V8 80k miles. I took it to a Lexus dealer to have the transmission flushed just a preventative measures. No problems with the tranny at all.
The dealer put in Type 4 fluid. When I got home..120 miles away. I noticed the mistake. I called the dealership and they said it needed WS fluid as I knew and told me to bring it back..UGH...Another 120 miles to the dealer.
I put 240 miles on the tranny with the wrong fluid. Did this damage my tranny?
Is Type 4 and WS compatible? They did another flush and put in WS fluid. The tranny seems to shift just fine.

Just wondering the long term affects of driving 240 miles on Type 4 fluid.

Thanks!

You should be ok. Next time do it yourself. Then you can save yourself a 240 mile drive.

Regards, JC

Thanks all. Are these 2 fluids not compatible? If not what may happen if the full fluid exchange didn't get 100% of he T4 out of the tranny?

It is doubtful any damage was done at all. The WS is most likely a higher quality fluid, because it probably has more synthetic base oil and longer lasting friction modifiers in the newer spec fluid. It starts out at a lower-viscosity than the T-IV does most likely. I am of the opinion that it did not do anything except give your transmission a really good 240 mile flush so that you now have 100% new fluid in there. Transmission fluids are really not THAT different. If you did not encounter any shifting problems or errors/codes, then things are just fine.

Quote:
Are these 2 fluids not compatible?

The T-IV is a 7.5 cSt viscosity fluid while the WS is a fuel conserving 6.0 cSt fluid similar to DexronVI. The WS has better cold temp operation, better oxidation resistance, and better friction modifier retention.

I doubt you'll have any damage and as someone else stated, you got a good tranny flush and maybe the dealer will be more careful.

Does the receipt show WS on the ticket and did you see them put in the WS?

Thanks All!!

The ticket states they used Type IV fluid the first time around. That is when I freaked out and I knew it took WS.

On the second time around, I insisted I watch them do the complete flush and I watched them pour in 12 qts of Toyota WS into the flush machine. I am taking it to a different Lexus dealer tomm AM to verify the fluid is full. They did not do the computerized testing to be sure it was full..overfull..undefilled..I am a savy consumer and watch the TSB's. Lexus advised they would pay for this testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back